Blue Mountain Park Report

method9455

speed was hard to come by for the top part sunday because of how windy it was so that might have something to do with flow. i liked the placement of the big jump last year better, if this year's was just 10 or 15 feet down further it wouldve been perfect, although it was pretty good. oh and i think blue may have the worst gaper problem around in their parks. i dont know if i took a run without being cut off or having to avoid someone on the landings. hell, i was even cut off by ski patrol

as a snowboarder i can see how speed was an issue if you wanted to hit the bigger side on the jumpline. we werent having problems, but we had to skate a few times and tuck for the first jump, but once you land the first one, speed is perfect all the way through the line, which is why they built them as close together as they did: no guess work, which is really a nice change for blue. like toast said, the last hit is more than likely going to get bigger, there will be a few more rails out as well. you should have done the rail jam, it was one of the most fun i've ever done, just because it was super laid back. no set amount of runs, no score sheets, just kids throwing their best tricks and trying to make the best impression for park crew, which is why they werent out fixing lips for that portion of the morning (although i thought everything on sidewinder was still pretty good after the jam was over.) props to keith and the crew for a really fun park and a fun rail jam, even if the turnout wasnt huge.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a snowboarder i can see how speed was an issue if you wanted to hit the bigger side on the jumpline. we werent having problems, but we had to skate a few times and tuck for the first jump, but once you land the first one, speed is perfect all the way through the line, which is why they built them as close together as they did: no guess work, which is really a nice change for blue. like toast said, the last hit is more than likely going to get bigger, there will be a few more rails out as well. you should have done the rail jam, it was one of the most fun i've ever done, just because it was super laid back. no set amount of runs, no score sheets, just kids throwing their best tricks and trying to make the best impression for park crew, which is why they werent out fixing lips for that portion of the morning (although i thought everything on sidewinder was still pretty good after the jam was over.) props to keith and the crew for a really fun park and a fun rail jam, even if the turnout wasnt huge.

yeah you pretty much nailed it, being a goofy snowboarder i had to come in on my heel edge which can be a pain when its even a little icey, especially when i detune my edges, so it was harder to hold my speed. ...probably the reason we have different opinions on the jump line

i like the way blue built their biggest jump, nice and mellow. i wouldve liked to see it down a little further like last years but it was fun.

and yeah, definetly shouldve done that comp just for how laid back it was, looked fun

The right side of the jump line is way too close together. I need to speed check before hitting the second jump if I want to get speed for the last two. The left side is where its at though, once you get your speed dialed in for the first jump you'll be set for the rest except the last one. Everybody seemed to have speed issues on it.

The right side of the jump line is way too close together. I need to speed check before hitting the second jump if I want to get speed for the last two. The left side is where its at though, once you get your speed dialed in for the first jump you'll be set for the rest except the last one. Everybody seemed to have speed issues on it.

yeah, i think just extending the 'hip' farther down the trail so you could use it to drop straight in to the left side would solve the issue. right now i'm just losing speed trying to hold an edge through that turn, which is icy, and as we all know, park skis/boards dont hold an edge on ice. i'm sure it will be worked out shortly.

overall i think sidewinder is way to crammed together. it really doesnt have great flow and all the good jibs are over after the top section. blue does build some nice jumps. oh and park crew is pretty weak. i dont think i saw them fixing a lip the whole time when many of the hits needed it. can't complain though, a fun day.
Word. Good features but there really isn't a good flow through the park IMO.

I think they should space the rails out a wee bit more up top. You can still hit them in a line like they are now, but there's no room for error or to get more speed if you land low, fakie, etc. Other than that I think the park flows very nice, but it flows like 3 separate parks. Top to bottom flow is theoretically possible if it was empty enough. If I hit the rails up top to the jumpline and then the last hit, I know I'd get cut off or plow down at least 2 people. They should be putting in a rail or to after the last hit as well, so that should open up some more options.

I think the flow from the top to the wall ride/big jump is great. Then its kind of the staircase on its own, then the cement mixer on its own, and then the mini park. The only thing is that if you blow one of the jumps in the jump line you might have to skip all of them. I found if I was on the bigger ramp line and I screwed up I could still take the smaller ramp side, but if I was on the small side and lost a lot of speed I was done. Thats why I was looking for an easy box to replace the swingset box there, in case you are missing out on the jump line. Up top, that first right rail is hard for snowboarders but I was doing the first middle box to the right rail for the 2nd hit, and falling on the box sometimes, and making it. No headwind at the time though, that could slow you down enough to make it impossibe. I wax pretty often too. The worst flow for me was the end of Come Around those last two rails, I hit one and had to practically land in a full stop to slow down enough for the 2nd, but I didn't feel that was the case with Sidewinder.

I found mount snow used to be very much like that, everything real cramped up and it didn't feel great. This year they put less in and spaced it out more, it was a LOT more fun. Sometimes more is not everything.

I found mount snow used to be very much like that, everything real cramped up and it didn't feel great. This year they put less in and spaced it out more, it was a LOT more fun. Sometimes more is not everything.

I used to hit Mt Snow all the time because they always had great jumps,

and the girl I was dating loved the spa there.

I loved the terrain parks at Snow and the hotel pool and jacuzzi are SWEET.

I'm always down to do a trip to Snow if any PASR members wanna put something together.

I used to hit Mt Snow all the time because they always had great jumps,

and the girl I was dating loved the spa there.

I loved the terrain parks at Snow and the hotel pool and jacuzzi are SWEET.

I'm always down to do a trip to Snow if any PASR members wanna put something together.

I've been doing a trip up every january with a big group for a while, its pretty cheap. I might go back again this year, their park is f'amazing.

I've been doing a trip up every january with a big group for a while, its pretty cheap. I might go back again this year, their park is f'amazing.

PM me with the details. I'm definitely in.

Maybe we can get some other PASR people to go?

Is it a bus trip,

or do people car pool?

I'm asking because Stratton is a short drive away and worth the trip if you drive yourself.

I used to be part of 2 different ski clubs and went to VT on their bus trips a lot.

But, I found getting a few people together and sharing the ride/hotel room was cheaper AND you could go where and when you want.

I LOVE the parks at Snow/Stratton and hitting the pools/jacuzzis afterwards.

would be great for the reason method suggested

ha that is EXACTLY what I meant.

What if they buried the swingest IN a table so it was like 2' above the ground the whole way? It might be enticing for noobs if you take away the fall, kind of followed the shape of the table. Then we would all be hitting the jump so it wouldn't be taking room from us, but those that wanted to hit it could. Kind of like how the bus is on the side of a table.

ha that is EXACTLY what I meant.

What if they buried the swingest IN a table so it was like 2' above the ground the whole way? It might be enticing for noobs if you take away the fall, kind of followed the shape of the table. Then we would all be hitting the jump so it wouldn't be taking room from us, but those that wanted to hit it could. Kind of like how the bus is on the side of a table.

That sounds like a decent idea. The thing about the swingset is the fact that if you need to bail you're pretty much dead.

That sounds like a decent idea. The thing about the swingset is the fact that if you need to bail you're pretty much dead.

true, last year the swingset was on a spine so there was a transition to break your fall, but now its just on a flat.

no matter what, the bus is def a complete waste of space. i say the put it at the top of sidewinder and use it as a hot drink stand.

the bus was good lsat year for the first 2 weeks when it was set up really well. after that it went to shit. the rail on it was the best part of it though, and now that its gone... the bus should be too.

oh a + note... i'm VERY happy with the part thus far, and i hope that they keep up the good work.

bus is lame, the swing set is really only cool cause its so big. If you burried it in a jump you might as well just put a regular box 2' of the ground. If it was in a jump and you didn't clear the swing set it wouldn't end well. Not to totally put your idea down cause it'd be cool, I just cant really see it working out to well.

I'd like to see some type of disaster flat box set up as an option on one of the jumps. Like a full size 20' or so jump with a flat box setup with an 8' or 10' disaster to it. Kind of like how the bus was last year.

the last thing i want to do is go off a jump and land flat on a flatbox... now a downbox/rail would be a different story...

the last thing i want to do is go off a jump and land flat on a flatbox... now a downbox/rail would be a different story...

I think that came out wrong.

A flat box maybe 8' or 10' OFF THE GROUND with maybe a 2' or so disaster to it. Basically a huge, high up, deadly, but fun flat box. I guess that wouldn't make it a disaster then, oh well. A disaster down rail would be crazy...but I can see so many people getting killed on it.

A flat box maybe 8' or 10' OFF THE GROUND with maybe a 2' or so disaster to it. Basically a huge, high up, deadly, but fun flat box. I guess that wouldn't make it a disaster then, oh well. A disaster down rail would be crazy...but I can see so many people getting killed on it.

i'd rather see the downrail. they couldnt keep the bus good last year so i dont think they would be able to do something like that again. go for the down rails and watch people wreck themselves haha.

Mountain Creek did this for a few years, it was gnarly. A 15 foot long 3" wide rail, about 8 - 10 foot off the ground. Not only that but it had like a 3' overhand on either end so if you where short, it would take out your ankles. About 4' gap on. I never even thought about doing it, I saw a few kids hit it. It was called the Poop Daddy, maybe google a picture of it. I'm at work so I'm not about to search poop daddy in google images for obvious reasons.

I didn't mean putting the swingset in a jump so you would land on it, I just meant use the end so there would be less consequence of falling off, it would be like 2' above the ground the whole way, kind of fun for those not hitting the jump because it would be easy & safe- which it is not now. What would people be doing with it if there was no consequence to it? I bet a lot more.

I was trying to push out and gap to the 2nd down on the down - flat - down box, and its pretty do able to get down there I was just unable to land it. Thats about the closest to a jump landing on a down rail i want to get.

Edited by Method9455

I had a good day at Blue, looped Razor and Switchback all day, Challenge was closed and getting groomed for races this weekend. Upper Main Street was closed in the AM, then opened up after lunch. It was a sheet of something.......not quite ice but definitely not snow, lol.