1/20/08 TR

millerm277

Got out at about 9:30AM, started the day with a run down the very firm Whistler, not their fault, as I could see the snow flying up and off the trail, very windy up there today.

After that, I moved down to the North Face area where I spent the rest of the day, which was much nicer. Cannonball was great for speed runs in the morning, and pretty good all day.

Boomer was tied with White Lightening for the best run of the day. Far left was soft snow you could really go fast on, middle had some large bumps, and the right had a very nice line of medium sized bumps.

White Lightening...had large moguls, with a couple of good lines...and the entire steep section of trail was covered in deep man-made powder.

Smoke had J3 races going on until about 2PM, was (as expected), pretty skied off by the time it opened to the public, although they were starting up the guns as I was leaving at 5PM.

Started to get a bit more crowded around noon. (By crowded, I mean I could see other people were actually on the mountain). Liftlines were non-existant, and in the morning and late afternoon, it seemed like we were the only ones there.

Snowguns were blasting all day. Probably at least 100 SMI Polecats and Vikings running all day (and night it looked like), it was actually hard to see on White Lightening and Boomer from all the snow being made. Fasttrack and Runaway look like they should be open soon.

Another great day.

Was anyone else out there? I was wearing mostly black, with red Nordica boots, and rossignol skis. (My Bandit BX's are currently getting bindings mounted.)

..Snowguns were blasting all day. Probably at least 100 SMI Polecats and Vikings running all day (and night it looked like), it was actually hard to see on White Lightening and Boomer from all the snow being made. ..

It used to irk me when places wouldn't blow snow during the day. I now appreciate it when they shut the guns off. I hate my goggles freezing up and not being able to see :banghead .

It used to irk me when places wouldn't blow snow during the day. I now appreciate it when they shut the guns off. I hate my goggles freezing up and not being able to see :banghead .

I read the directions for cleaning goggles on the side of the box for the first time ever just a few weeks ago. It sure doesn't recommend frantically wiping them with a leather glove as you try to see whether it's a tree or another skier you're about to hit.

There were only a couple spots when you had to keep your head down, most of the guns were pointed up, which made it not too bad to ski through. And, I much rather skiing through the guns than skiing hardpack bumps.

What I heard this past weekend was that fast track and runway will open by this weekend (26/27) and it is likley they will open sometime during the week.

snoskier

That's what I heard as well. They were blowing snow on them yesterday, and it looked like they were pretty well covered from what I could see.