Blue Mountain - Base Grind and Wax?

XtremeJibber2001

Help me out guys. I've been on the road for weeks and I'm hoping to get some skiing in on Saturday. Is there a place that can grind and wax my base on site? I won't get in until late Friday night so I'd like to get my skis prepped at the base lodge prior to the resort opening ... is this possible?

Skis have been in storage for about two years so they really need a good sharpen/wax/stone grind.

Thanks

-E

PS ... How have conditions been? Looks like the temps have been good.

i know the summit lodge has a a shop where you can get your skis tuned/waxed/whatnot.... so check them out. maybe you can drop them off friday evening and ski them in the AM

I won't be arriving until Morning. Do you have a number for them? Maybe they could do it really quick if I get there early.

Had my skis tuned there a few weeks back on a saturday. You gotta get there early though, cause when rentals crowds are huge, all the employees are busy with that. I think I was in there dropping them off around 8 or so, wasn't real crowded. If your skis have been sitting for 2 years then most likely all you'll need will be a side edge and wax. I paid $20 for that. They also offer a edge and hot wax for more $$. Ask for Shawn or Ty, they've both hooked me up good in the past.

Failing that just get a quick belt sharpen & wax and take it for a stone grind and hot wax later, its better than nothing and that only takes 2 minutes.

And dude, that takes longer than 2 minutes.

And dude, that takes longer than 2 minutes.

No, it doesn't. I worked in a shop all through high school and I still go back during my winter break to help out, it might not be 2, but it is DEFINITELY less than 5. At 5 minutes each you are only getting 12 pairs done an hour, or 96 a day if you work 8 hours at that pace. Thats not many, we could do about 100 in 4 hours, so 25 an hour, so about 2-3 minutes per pair. You just can't do one ski start to finish at a time. One guy is running them over the baser and passing them to a guy doing the edges passing them to a guy waxing, its easy. If you gave me one pair to do in 5 minutes I'm sure I could, I definately have done that before when we run out of rentals that are tuned in a certain size and we need one right then.

Thats not for a hand wax or a stone grind though, a hand wax + stone grind + ptex can take more than an hour easily. But it is a totally different result.

Anymore, I always get my skis "quicktuned" (sharpen and hot wax) at the slopes.

Saves the time and trouble of dropping them off at a ski shop and then picking them up. Takes about a 1/2hr. You just have to do it at a time that is not busy. The best time is the middle of a session after the rentals are out and before they come back. I just drop them off while taking a break and pick them up a 1/2hr later. Weekdays and nights are best.

Just had mine quicktuned last Fri. night at Bear Creek. I've also done it at Blue. The best was Jack Frost on a weekday while having lunch. The retired guy there did a great job on my and my sons skis. He even did some P-Tex at no extra charge.

Usually costs about $5.00 more than a shop, but the convenience is worth it. (Plus, I aways give a $5.00 tip so the guy remembers me and they usually do a really good job the next time.)