Jackson Hole Trip Report 2/23-3/1

Erin808

We arrived Saturday night and hit the hill on Sunday. There was about 6" of fresh and it continued to snow throughout the day. The South facing stuff was SUPER crusty underneath so I had to learn to avoid that. Saturday was good, I worked on getting my bearings with little visibilty. Hit up Thunder and Sublette for a bunch of runs. The run under the thunder chair was the best thing I did all day :) Bivouac woods was kind of crowded and skiied out yesterday but I hit it today and it was awesome. Yesterday truly kicked my butt with a new mountain and a new set-up. I was really tired last night and wanted to save myself for today.

Today was awesome. 12" of fresh in the last 24H was the report but t was closer to 18" in some places. Plus it continued to dump 1-2" an hour for most of the day. Got fresh turns on Laramie and some other bowl that I forget the name of (to the right off the thunder chair) then hit up some stuff off sublette and the double to the top. Visibility at the top was terrible so I only did two runs on Rendezvous but a bunch more on sublette. Pepi's ridge and the alta chutes were amazing. Bivouc was much better today too, less skiied out and fewer peeps. Took my husband through the trees (his first) off Apres Vous and the gondola this afternoon. He did really good and there was enough snow so it was a good first time.

I haven't hit up much of lower sublette, only one run (and I have no idea what its called.) I heard the hobacks aren't that good at the moment. They haven't had any snow until Saturday for 2 weeks and it was warm so I'm not super anxious to check it out. We are going snowmobiling tomorrow but we'll head back on Wednesday.

Thanks for your advice GSS! It's been great so far. Its a vastly different mountain with 12" for fresh on it...

Made it home last night. Was dumping when we left but we got out with no probs.

We didn't get any more fresh snow after the 12" on Sunday and the 10" on Monday. Tuesday we took the day off and went snowmobiling in Grand Teton National Park. It was pretty fun and my concession for my husband to take a day off and do something else. But can say that we've done it and dont need to do it again. Lots of amazing nature and very peaceful. Except when I almost flipped it over and it got stuck. That kind of slowed us down. But our dude came out and rescued us. We did a self-guided tour which was less scheduled but it meant that we were on our own. It was good but if we were with a guide I wouldn't have gotten stuck. We also wouldn't have been able to go so fast and go off trail as much.

Wednesday I hit the hill by myself and went straight up to the 2-chair but it was pretty crusty. Stayed on the groomers for a few hours until it softened up. It was really warm and the even the North facing stuff was crusty. But it got really good around 11am. Met up with some locals I met on the chair and hit corbetts. I think it looks worse than it is and the drop in was pretty intimidating (esp without a pillow of powder) then hiked the headwall - worth the hike for a clean line two days after it snowed. Was a beautiful day and pretty warm. You knew it wasn't going to be good for the next morning's snow but oh well. Did some stuff on Casper bowl, hiking from the gondola a little bit. Everything was packed so the hikes weren't that bad. Heard on Thursday that a group of people got caught in a slide near the M&M chutes on Wed, it was pretty dicey if you actually left the gates but the stuff in bounds was fine.

Finally checked out North Hoback, was pretty good. Wished I did it on Monday with powder but it was still pretty sweet. And there was no one on the hill so I had it totally to myself. The lower 1/3 was pretty in pretty rough shape. I did a few easy runs and headed down before 4pm.

I ran into my original snowboard instructor from 12 years ago at Beaver Creek. He works at JH now and so do a bunch of other BCer's that I used to know. It was cool to see some people that I haven't seen in years and doing well.

Thursday was a repeat of Wednesday, but it got warmer faster and then a cold front came over and FROZE everything above Thunder and Sublette after 2PM. So we stayed low which was kind of a bummer. But my husband totally improved this trip and was going down everything I suggested and even dropping in the trees every time with me :) It was seriously what I've been waiting for so that we can ride together. I think the two days of powder broke his fear of steeps and bumps and just getting more time on the hill helped him.

Friday we went over to Grand Targhee. Glad we did since it was not icy at all and there was still stashes of power to be found. I only took my camera up at G.T, I'll post some pics later. It wont be enough to satisfy Glenn but I guess its better than nothing.

All in all was a super great week. Got a little bit of everything weather-wise and we both came home injury free!

Awesome reports..next time try to hit Jackson Hole in January or very early in February..to avoid the crusty snow...Congrats on skiing Corbetts..I've never had the ballz to ski Corbetts..you rock hardcore yo..I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures from Grand Targhee. So you're a ripping rider and your husband is a gaper???...lol..I need to find a chick that rips..

Its all mental, man. I never would have even known how to get there if I wasn't with locals. And they pretty much dared me... :P

It was wierd all the hiking accessed stuff. I jsut figured it out on my last day. I guess when the tram runs more of it is accesibile.

I do see what you are saying about going earlier. I wasn't expecting as much crust but I guess the way the mtn is oriented a lot of it is subject to direct sun. If we go next year it will def be earlier.

There was still great coverage at the lower elevations. I didn't hear any rumors about the tram but then again I never really asked about it. It looked like it would open up some other areas but you must be right, its just hard to tell (as a newbie to JH) what gets accessed from where.

There was a lot of press about a new website (or maybe not so new). Tram-formation.com which will track the contstruction. I work in construction, and typically the webiste wouldn't get updated to show any delay until they are absolutely certain what it is. They've already given themselves a months float by saying "December" with no date.

Last night I talked to my friend Tom who lives in Montana. He skied Jackson Hole with one of his Boston Buddies last Monday the 25th and Tuesday the 26th and he said that it was almost waist deep in the Hobacks and then they skied Targhee on Wednesday..big sky Thursday and Bridger Bowl Friday through Sunday...I told him about the 2-3 inches Blue received Friday night...doh..

A couple more days and Moe is going to J-Hole..it's becoming one of PASRs favorite Rockies mountains..Holla

Stoke factor rising as departure day nears...T-3 days :lol

Another 4" of fresh last nite, that's 23" for March so far. More on deck starting Sunday.....Oh,myyyyy!! Spent some profits at Buckman's yesterday, got a nice haul for about $400. Bonus was, I got a pair of Marker ski pants ($129) and a pair of Spyders ($235), and the sales clerk discounted the Spyders for $1, instead of the Markers.......+10% off the whole stash.......ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!