fake passes

kmar2006

If they had the RFID readers on all the lifts they could tell all the vert-geeks how many feet they had done when they left. :D

I was at a mountain in lake tahoe that did this (Sierra at Tahoe). Season pass holders had a seperate line, and at the front of the line was a gate, u put your little module on the pass up to a sensor, and the gate opens, thus tracking your vertical. What was cool about this program was, based on your vertical they gave you comp dollars to use at the pro shop and stuff. I was talking to a dood who was saying he broke a pole while skiing there, so he went in and redeemed his "vertical points" for new poles :). Quite a good incentive to draw in season pass buyers in a competitive area with a bunch of ski resorts.

I was at a mountain in lake tahoe that did this (Sierra at Tahoe). Season pass holders had a seperate line, and at the front of the line was a gate, u put your little module on the pass up to a sensor, and the gate opens, thus tracking your vertical. What was cool about this program was, based on your vertical they gave you comp dollars to use at the pro shop and stuff. I was talking to a dood who was saying he broke a pole while skiing there, so he went in and redeemed his "vertical points" for new poles :). Quite a good incentive to draw in season pass buyers in a competitive area with a bunch of ski resorts.

Thats awsome, and could easily be done with RFID without seperate lines. It would be transparent to everyone, since both the season pass holders and the daily tickets could have RFID embeded in them. Thats a real sweet incentive deal though. :rock

Yeah, a seperate lift line for season pass holders and a vertical readout when you leave, and free stuff for boarding more, that just sounds too good to be real.

yea, at sib's mountain, they scan your pass i assume, but i'd love to see something embeded in the pass, hell, i wouldn't mind having a little thing like Speedpass wand in my pocket or something, but at sib's mountain, they have a vert contest because all their season passholders are scanned. it's cool.

• 1 year later...
Yeah, its a great mountain, I don't know why you wouldn't know why you would want to shaft them. Also like kmar said, they will know. Not sure how, but there are ways. I'm waiting for a moutain that starts using RFID. For those of you who don't know what RFID is its the same technology that is used for ez-pass on the highway, and speed pass at mobile stations. It has seen some other uses as well. The cool thing is, with a RFID tag you could have a scanner check for the ticket without ever needing a person to manually check. Another neat side affect feature would be a portable reader becomes a search tool. The RFID tags are rather cheap too make, and in a few years you will see them in super markets, with readers on the shopping carts, totally things as you put them in. It will be neat to see when the mountains start using this technology. It's one of the uses that acutally makes sense, and isn't so big brother like. Some of the other uses for RFID were kinda scary, like implanting them in children, so they don't get lost. And implanting in adults so medical records can be easily accessible, but the problem is, not just the medical industry, or not just the parents would be able to read the tags, any one with a reader could. Which means the government can track you, or stalkers, bill collectors whomever. Thats why I'm not getting ez pass, as convenient as it looks, I don't like people watching me.

EDIT: Although I guess you could make the point that the mountain will watch your movements on the mountain, but as soon as I'm done at the mountain, I can trash a ticket. Even better if the watch my movements, maybe they will put more effort into the trails I'm riding, or alleviate the lift lines at the lifts I'm waiting longer at. It makes sense in the controlled enviroment of the mountain, not in life in general.

Sno Mountain.

PASR is on top of technology.

I wouldn't mind them scanning day/season passes on every lift, if they kept track of the vertical for season pass holders. That would be pretty pimp.

I was thinking that myself.

since they scan only at the 2 checkpoints at blue, one idea would be to put an optional scanner near that lift that a passholder could go up to in order to scan his own tag. they wouldnt need to pay more people to scan tickets, just install the infrastructure to run the system.

Also, it wouldnt be hard to allows vert tracking for daily lift ticket holders, just give them a website where they could enter their ticket's barcode number and check out how much they skied.

Because a topic we were discussing the possibility of two years ago on PASR, RFID Lift tickets, is now being implemented by sno mountain. I guess people didn't pick up on that; should have been more clear.

At least there is a good reason. Thanks for clarifying. I was starting to think you were whoring.