NEWSFLASH, OUCH: Racechick

skimom

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no offense but if he did it was a freak accident or shitty surgery... I know plenty of people who got it done in high school and no probs whatsoever since. typically ends up being the stronger leg afterwards

I don't know about that. I know lots of people with same knee multiple injuries even after surgery. Maybe technology/techniques have improved since they got their work done, but its more than a "freak" case, like I said I know LOTS of people. Also, if people are just as good after the surgery, then why the brace?

I think the key is understanding you had an injury, and it could happen again and being careful with it.

I don't know about that. I know lots of people with same knee multiple injuries even after surgery. Maybe technology/techniques have improved since they got their work done, but its more than a "freak" case, like I said I know LOTS of people. Also, if people are just as good after the surgery, then why the brace?

I think the key is understanding you had an injury, and it could happen again and being careful with it.

all the people I know with acl surgery basically all are football players. they end up wearing braces if they play on the line because typically people fall on them from the side which is dangerous for messing up knees. noone i know who has had surgery, including people who blew out their knee completely i.e. tore acl and mcl have all been fine. also look at the pros who have blown out knees. none I can think of ever wear a brace and none have ever torn it later on... though I'm thinking of just snowboarders

The people I know that have re-injured play come from backgrounds of football, volleyball, and skiing. Snowboarding is much easier on the knees than skiing, so you can't compare the two. For the most part, your knees don't have a lot of side to side movement when strapped into a snowboard, which is where acl/mcl injuries come from. Also pros are going to be willing to travel to find the best medical personnel to operate since it is their livelihood on the line.

I'm not saying re-injury is definite, just saying it's not a freak case, and its possible after surgery. So its one of those things you want to be carefully about.

• 1 month later...

Surgery went very well, no problems or "extras" once they got in there. If anyone ever has to have it done do it, it's sooo easy, and as long as you keep up with the pain killers it doesn't hurt at all. my PT guy said he's ganna teach me to walk tomorrow. the worst part is the extremly large leg brace that goes from your waste to your ancle.

Surgery went very well, no problems or "extras" once they got in there. If anyone ever has to have it done do it, it's sooo easy, and as long as you keep up with the pain killers it doesn't hurt at all. my PT guy said he's ganna teach me to walk tomorrow. the worst part is the extremly large leg brace that goes from your waste to your ancle.

Hang in there and like everyone is saying PT PT PT.. My repaired knee is now much more stable than my other "old" knee. you should be as good as new in time for the season to start next winter. I had mine done 2/23/04 - I went the route of harvesting from my hamstring and removing a partial tear of the meniscus. Remember the PT!!

yeah i started pt yesterday and he had it moving right away. i can't wait. with is just two days i can already do most things on my own. i can get myself in and out of bed get in and out of the car, and do the steps..with someone in front and behind me. but the pain killers do magical things......

Thanks for all the support guys

Get well quick RacerChick. Just don't try to do more than your PT wants you to do. If you get a little depressed after awhile, do what I did in the same situation. Buy new skis, boots and poles! It's fun trying on boots with the new brace. They kinda look at you funny when they realize you just had surgery for a skiing accident. SMILE :pinkskilady: