The rant

skidude

Ok before I start let me say this...If you like Blue...great for you, have fun, stay in your hole, and don't come to my mountain. If it makes you happy, thats great for you.

Lets see....

Lines:

Geeze I didn't know that lines could be that long. For the quad...I waited longer in the SKI SCHOOL line at blue then I do in the REGULAR line at camelback (singles, or groups) Even when the line doesn't look that long you can multiply your time waiting by about 7 times as much, because that is how many lines wait to get uhh called on by the lifty (or whatever you call it).

Doubles: holy frigging crap...I don't know how long it takes to wait in that doubles line (and no i was not about to find out)...I am talking about the double that goes from mid way up the mt. to above the top lodge (green color i think). That looked to be about a 45 minute wait...For a double that goes midway up the mountain. I could go to CB and ski the marc chair, or the cleo chair on a busy day and NOT WAIT AT ALL!!!

Not even sure where the other lifts were, but I am sure they had just as long of a line.

Condtions:

Both days the trails I was on had a lot of death cookies (golf/tennis ball sized chunks of snow/ice that are a b*tch to try and get edge angle on). Last year challenge was covered in them, but it was the day after snowmaking and opening the trail, so I didn't say anything about it...This year it was about 1/2 covered in them both days, with no recent snowmaking...How does that work, i don't know.

Lifts:

Who designed there lifts there? The quad that services about 4 tails without hiking across the mountain....Yet all the trails dump out at the quad...Which is real great for the amount of people going on it. Didn't pay much attention to the other lifts because the lines were too long to even think about getting on them and not ending up where I wanted to go.

Tiny @ss lodge:

Have you ever seen that commercail for f*d-ex/kinkos (i think) where the guy has to take werid steps to manuver around everything...Well maybe you haven't but that is the way I felt in the lodge. Ok so the lodge isn't that big of a deal, but hey, i didn't want to have to hike all the way to my car (which was far away due to the weird parking lot that loopes around or something, but that is besides the point) to eat lunch. There were so many people in there I couldn't walk up the steps (because there were about 10 people sitting on them) to get to my bag.

Ski partol that skied over my skis:

Uhh probably enough said there...In the lift line they walked right over my skis...NEVER had that happen skiing at camelback for probably 200+ days of skiing there...Yet on my 10th or so at Blue it happened...Hmm

Getting from the quad to the lodge:

Ehh thats always fun...But uhh I don't like to hike, and hike, and stop, and hike a little more.

Ok Jeff, I am SURE this was the one weekend a year with long lines, or something like that...but the truth is...It is just like EVERY other time I was at blue...So I guess I will see ya there again next year if they are hosting a PA cup, if not, maybe it will be 2 years.

Have fun at your crappy mountain...And I will have fun at my not crappy mountain :rock

As I have said before...Now I remember why I put up with the CB management.

A side note....Due to very warm tempuaters, I couldn't tell how much hardpack/ice/ other stuff like that there was becasue it was too warm for that stuff. And I didn't buy any food, partly cause I didn't want to wait in a freaking long line, and partly because I didn't want to wait in a freaking long line <_<

I guess I could say Blue is the Hunter of PA...One lift (one quad) and just a few 'runs'...even tho they have 30-50 trails...Seems like they have about 5.

Well have fun at blue guys :unsure:

:confused I never waited for more then 3 minutes :D What lodge are you talking about? Cause I saw you go into the Base lodge. That lodge is small, but it serves its purpose. I rarely use the top lodge anymore, just because I'd rather ride a lift to start my day, then ride a lift to end my day.

I can see your complaints, but frankly, conditions on Challenge were really nice, and for a few runs, before they got smashed, there were some nice bumps forming..good rythm. And at no point did it get skiied off, as Camelback's diamonds do. While i was watching you race, the cheif of race was standing right next to me, and we were chatting while I watched 60+ racers. He and I shared the same complaint, the race was taking FOREVER. He kept saying to himself "shut this guy up" , the guy on the radio that is, who kept holding for some reason. The flags kept flying off too, which they had to hold the race for. A big delay came from the injury, but still, slooww. But otherwise, it was a great day to watch your race at least. I layed down at the bottom of the top headwall, and was baking in the sun. It was great.

Just wait till they add another quad (from what I hear it won't be next year, but the year after) :wiggle But other then the liftlines, will you PLEASE acknoledge that it's nice to have ALOT more vertical :D

Ok dood, I figure I'll answer because we know Jeff is a blue whore :)

I used to go to CB all the time, and switched to blue this year. I personally haven't seen the liftlines at blue that you speak of, because I try to ski during off hours, but I'm sure they get bad, just as camelback does.

I really like the mountain better than cb, because I like the longer runs and less runout. The quad services just about all of their terrain, there is only hiking involved if you want to get all the way back to the upper lodge from the quad.

I am not a fan of the lower lodge either, it is quite small and I didn't enjoy their food much. However, I really like the upper lodge, as it has quite a bit more seating and much better food.

I got bored far faster at cb than at blue, even though blue may seem to have less trails, they have just as many trails that you actually want to ski (come on... all those mid-mountain ones at cb that noone ever skis). Everyone has their preference, and I think if you're going to call one pocono mt. crappy, they all are. They're all similar, and face it, you're in PA.

Go out and have fun wherever it is, and stop worrying about the little stuff.

Ok, my quick rebutal.

Lines:

They get long (just like anywhere, probobly worse since there was race but w/e). The key, just like anywhere is knowing how to work them. The way blue's quad lifties move the ques through, you are better riding single or as anything but a group of two. The double lift lines move rather quickly, but then you are waiting for a while. I certainly would consider taking the doubles at blue before the double at CB. Though the triples at CB I take if I'm riding park or raceway, but thats a different story.

Conditions:

They usually are a little worse than CB but not by a whole lot. As far as the death cookies everywhere, I haven't seen that as a trend, so again I think you got unlucky on the days you have gone.

Lodge:

If you want a nice real lodge, go to the top, bottom line. The bottom one is more of a cafeteria/rest stop/thing. As far as getting from quad to lodge, its really the same at CB if you are riding the other side of the mountain. Its only an extra lift ride, no hiking needed.

As you said though, ski/ride what you like. I have fun at both places, I think blue is a little better, but CB is closer. Hopefully soon I can give my opinion on montage :o.

I was refuring to the top lodge at blue (super packed all day long). And well there is an idea...Mum who was freeskiing was taking 2 runs an HOUR...that means a 25ish minute lift line at the quad...

Jeff, when it is 50 degrees out...You can't say this trail didn't get skied off...When it is that warm you can be on hardpack, or even ice, and think it is packed powder...Its so carveable...

Blah blah, the quad may service all there terain..but its like hiking out to the far end of birches at cb to get to any trail that is not right next to it (the 2 dimonds, park, and paradice).

Blue may have 200 feet on CB...however I bet I could ski 2x vertical feet at CB compaired to blue in a day...so having a little more veritcal isn't worth it if you are waiting 10x longer in the line.

Anyway aruguing on the internet is like running in the...uhh you get the idea...

Ya when i was racing a Blue 2 weekends ago

The lines were unbearable. Even In the ski school line which is "faster" i waited there for like 30 min and almost missed my start. The lifty just walks back and forth so it not really like we get to cut the line we are part of it

Umm I woudl call it long lift lines..."cutting" the liftline, I coudl probably make 3 an hour...Uhh kinda sad there...but w/e  you like blue, you should go there, I like CB, I will go there...and we will all be happy.

I like CB too, I like it that the runs are so short, that you can ski real hard, and not have to stop cause your legs are burning. You have to stop at Blue cause there runs are actaully ON the mountain, and are alot longer. That is the part I like about camelback. :blink:

There are things I absoloutly do not like about Blue, and there are things I love about Camelback. But the pros of Blue far outweigh the pros of Camelback, and at the times I ski, you have to admit, Blue is alot nicer. More vert + better snowmaking + no New Yorkers + Nice diamonds.

Ok Jeff...Go off and live in your happy little hole...

But if your legs are burning at blue...maybe you should try a little working out in the fall...Cause that is pretty sad....

MUST KEEP ON TOPIC....

Better snowmaking...If you want to have a snowball fight with death cookies...I agree 200%

Blue has a long flat section...what is the difference between that and CB's 'runout'? Well blue also has a 100 foot headwall at the end of there long flat section..>Which is probably in all reality similar to the end of cliffy/nile mile....

Peace man

Ok Jeff...Go off and live in your happy little hole...

But if your legs are burning at blue...maybe you should try a little working out in the fall...Cause that is pretty sad....

MUST KEEP ON TOPIC....

Better snowmaking...If you want to have a snowball fight with death cookies...I agree 200%

Blue has a long flat section...what is the difference between that and CB's 'runout'?  Well blue also has a 100 foot headwall at the end of there long flat section..>Which is probably in all reality similar to the end of cliffy/nile mile....

Peace man

I could do what you do, and never get tired going down a run. But frankly, and you can ask Greg, one night we kept going down switchback, we couldn't breathe. THATS a nice run, and if you're skiing it right, you'll get a great workout....

After the headwall, on say, Marjies, all their is left is runout, that isn't on the mountain. After challenges headwall, a nice ripping section, then another drop. A little more run then marjies. :D

So lets see there 2 dimonds have a drop after them (hey so does nile mile...)

None of there other trails do...

If you are skiing ANY trail ANY where in Pa...I would think you shoudln't get winded...Unless you were a) in a real hard race, B) loved to hold your breath c) Doing 5,793 hop turns down it, d) real lazy e) jeff or f) uhh outta shape.

Ehhh have a great time

Only once in a blue moon like last year on mlk have I waited in a lift line like you speak of. For best snowmaking those "iceballs" occur at any montain after they make snow and it melts during the day and refreezes at night. Just remember who blows snow in march when they can while another mountain *cough cb *cough returns there compressors they rented and refuse to make snow after feburary.

I mean come on people stop bithcing if you don't like blue then don't come because you are just making those of us who like it there have to wait in line. I don't like cb and you don't see me writting this huge rant about the place do ya because if I would it would be twice as long as this. Point is this is PA this isn't VT so we need to get over it.

Only once in a blue moon like last year on mlk have I waited in a lift line like you speak of. For best snowmaking those "iceballs" occur at any montain after they make snow and it melts during the day and refreezes at night. Just remember who blows snow in march when they can while another mountain *cough cb *cough returns there compressors they rented and refuse to make snow after feburary.

I mean come on people stop bithcing if you don't like blue then don't come because you are just making those of us who like it there have to wait in line. I don't like cb and you don't see me writting this huge rant about the place do ya because if I would it would be twice as long as this. Point is this is PA this isn't VT so we need to get over it.

First of all, we specifically asked him to share his opinion. So yes is going to rant and yu will like it :nana. Second, he had a reason to be there, he wasn't just using up your lift time he was racing, and as he stated, he doens't plan on heading back any time soon. Also, just because its ideal snowmaking doens't mean its ideal skiing/riding. Ice balls aren't exactly the nicest stuff to ride on, so its all fine and dandy that conditions will be better in the morning, but that doesn't help you immediately.

First of all, we specifically asked him to share his opinion. So yes is going to rant and yu will like it :nana. Second, he had a reason to be there, he wasn't just using up your lift time he was racing, and as he stated, he doens't plan on heading back any time soon. Also, just because its ideal snowmaking doens't mean its ideal skiing/riding. Ice balls aren't exactly the nicest stuff to ride on, so its all fine and dandy that conditions will be better in the morning, but that doesn't help you immediately.

:rock:nana:nana:lol:devil:

I'm sorry skimom and others who thought I was bitching at them lol, but I really wasn't it just I am sick and tired of everyone bitching about the two and the fact is they are basically the same because this is PA so just go where you want is what I'm saying.

Again I'm sorry if I affended anyone but thats not what I wanted to do.

Well said young 'freak... :rock

Everybody should just remember that anywhere you can ski/ride around here is a bonus, we are all fortunate to have a choice of 6/7 slopes within an hour of each other.

Time spent bitching on here is time that should be better spent on the slopes. :)