Harakiri

BCBSNOBBSkier

Has anyone hear heard about the Harakiri, the steepest piste? Heres a pic Harakiri

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what those fence things next to the trail are?

i know nothing about this place, but the fences are snow drift fences. you see them out west here all over the place next to roads and such to keep the snow from blowing across the road. looks to me like they have them mounted across the mountain to help keep the snow/debris from sliding down the hill and in front of what looks like a cat track near the bottom. probably has other purposes too, but that is my opinion at first glance.

Its supposedly the steepest run anywhere though that's kind of a bogus stat. People say its 78 degrees but I think they may be confusing grade with degrees, if that is the case it would be in the 50-60 degree range. 50-60 is steep but doable, where as 78 would mean maybe .001 percent of the population could hack it. With the number of people who have skied and the way it looks from pictures I would imagine its in the low 50's.

Now something like this is a whole nother ball of wax

Storm Troopers

biglines78707xs7.jpg

a 78 percent pitch would work out to 37-38 degrees..any engineering people want to take a stab at this?? I don't have a scientiffic calculator.. I remember a 100 percent pitch equally to 45 degrees..

The pitch is the ratio of the height to the horizontal distance. I.E. your roof being a 5/12 pitch is 5" vertical rise vs a 12" horizontal run. The angle is the inverse arc tangent of that ratio. The pitch is a lot easier for the end result when you have to build it and you have rulers and levels, the angle is much better when you have to do the math of designing it.

At very small angles (less than 10 degrees) the pitch and angle are going to about equal each other, and as the angle increases the values diverge.

The 45 degree angle is a 100% pitch, meaning a 1:1 ratio of rise to run. A 50% pitch would be 1 foot rise for every 2 foot run, and the angle is arc tangent 0.5 = 26 degrees. It sounds a lot steeper as a 50% pitch but really, 26 degrees is pretty weak.

A 78 degree slope would be about a 500% pitch.