Help with vermont trip!

julz m

Hey,

Im planning on going on a vermont trip this season. i usually go in spring but i think i have a chance to go with my family earlier. I want to know the best valued mountian based on:vertical, lodging, price, snow conditions, and anything else you think is important.

also when the best time to go is. probably February-ish...

o and i was thinking either stowe, killington, or okemo. or anything else you guys recommend

Stowe - They have a waffle haus in the gondy station, Magic is a good value but not a good mountain for the whole family.

Don't go to Slokemo, Mt. Slow or Stratton - outside of early/late season these mountains should me avoided at all costs

Time to go is the 40,000 dollar question, late feb/early march is normally good but who knows.... the EC is finicky bitch sometimes.

Hey,

Im planning on going on a vermont trip this season. i usually go in spring but i think i have a chance to go with my family earlier. I want to know the best valued mountian based on:vertical, lodging, price, snow conditions, and anything else you think is important.

also when the best time to go is. probably February-ish...

o and i was thinking either stowe, killington, or okemo. or anything else you guys recommend

I'd knock Okemo off that list and replace it with Mount Snow. Stowe is more expensive than Snow or Killington but it is the best mountain. I'd say it depends on what kind of skiing your family does. If you guys are looking for blue squares in abundance, Mount Snow is the place. If you are looking for something harder than that Killington and Stowe are where its at. A lot of people on these boards forget that not everyone is stoked for the gnarliest terrain you can find and with my parents they had more fun at places with mostly intermediate terrain as compared to those that were harder.

Look here for more info on the mountains in VT.

http://skiernet.com/ski_vt.html

I'd knock Okemo off that list and replace it with Mount Snow. Stowe is more expensive than Snow or Killington but it is the best mountain. I'd say it depends on what kind of skiing your family does. If you guys are looking for blue squares in abundance, Mount Snow is the place. If you are looking for something harder than that Killington and Stowe are where its at. A lot of people on these boards forget that not everyone is stoked for the gnarliest terrain you can find and with my parents they had more fun at places with mostly intermediate terrain as compared to those that were harder.

Look here for more info on the mountains in VT.

http://skiernet.com/ski_vt.html

Mt. Snow has all the ambiance and feeling of skiing at Bear Creek. Killy and Stowe have tons of nice greens and blues. Killy in fact has the nicest green on the EC, Great Eastern.

And unlike most of S. VT. you actually feel like your in the mountains too.

S. Vt. has Bennington and the battle monument that looks like a penis, N. Vt. has Burlington, UVM and Magic Hat.

It depends on what you want to ride. Stowe is the best for natural terrain, there's some sick tree runs and powder stashes to be found. If you want park hit up Mt. Snow, or NH, VT sucks for park really. Stowe's park last year was kinda decent but I've seen better from Loon or SR

Stowe - undeniably killer terrain, a bit pricey. But, if yer going to go 'there's only one Stowe'. Jay rules if you can handle trees, bumps and, bumps in the trees. And, it can be a bit chilly in Feb. :beer:

Yeah Jay can be frigid in the heart of winter. It can get VERY windy as well on the 4 pack that is on the farthest right of the mountain. If you go to Jay, be sure to dress like an onion.

Bolton Valley and Burke mountaitn in northern VT are good values. I think Pico Peak is the best value/family area. Lots of blues and usually not crowded. All the foreigners (non vermonters) have driven that far so they go to Killington.

Edited by SkiUtah

I love Mt Snow. It has the my favorite parks and the Grand Summit Hotel is NICE. The hotel is on the slope and the spa is SICK. I'm hate to admit it, but I almost enjoy the outdoor pool/jacuzzis, steam room, and sauna as much as I do the riding. If the OP is a girl, the spa has other services and the girls in our group really enjoyed it.

i went to stowe 3 years ago and the conditions sucked...but it was christmas so that's kind of a risk. it snowed all december and then rained all week when we got there :banghead

That is EXACTLY whay I am am afraid to go to Whistler. I hear weather is a real gamble. Which is a shame, because everyone says Whistler has both the best riding and the best nightlife in North America.

A Canadian resort might be the call for ya Jules if you are underage and want to hit the bars on vacation. Canadians drinking age is 19. :)

That is EXACTLY whay I am am afraid to go to Whistler. I hear weather is a real gamble. Which is a shame, because everyone says Whistler has both the best riding and the best nightlife in North America.

A Canadian resort might be the call for ya Jules if you are underage and want to hit the bars on vacation. Canadians drinking age is 19. :)

Well the good thing about Whistler is that if the weather does end up sucking the nightlife can make up for it. Go during spring break time period even if you aren't in college, great parties then.

stowe is pretty freaking expensive if money is something you are taking into consideration, but there is awsome terrain

sugarbush has decent terrain and doesnt get as crowded as other places.

its hard to give one place because they are all pretty different

Edited by romemadman