Ride Contrabands

Santa Clauss

I can turn the board harder on my toe edge. I can manage terrain irregularities better on my heel. I dialed my high backs out of the equation a while back on DH's advice and liked it enough I never pushed them forward again. Forward lean helps for carving sure, but being able to stand directly over the board in any leg position is more important to me than doing well on groomers. Especially when I have functioning toe straps :)

Agreed. I think my high backs don't even come in contact with my boot unless i'm really cranking hard on my heel side edge.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm just weird, maybe I'm the only one who cares about turning hard, whatever. I already have way more problems with heel turns than toe turns. You lose the toe strap you lose (total guess) 50% of board angulation range. Also you kill your efficiency through the range of motion. I get the thong setup, I would ride it. I've ridden no to straps because of failure. I wouldn't head to the hill without a toe strap though, even with huge guiding walls on the binding. Just doesn't make sense.

I would say your not so much weird as in the norm. So much so that Mervin will be putting out a board next year to ease your pain...

At the North American sales meeting for Gnu Snowboards, plans for the GNU Park Pickle were unveiled. The Patent Pending Proprietary Park Pickle Product will be included in the 09/10 Gnu Snowboard line. Based on the idea that heelside turns require more leverage than toeside turns, the Park Pick will have a deeper sidecut on the heelside.

Gnu Park Pickle

ummmm santa cruz already did that 4 years ago

Never even heard of them until now. Their site looks legit, you ever ride any of their boards?

From the Santa Cruz site:

Because Bi-O-Metric Sidecut boards are designed so that the backside edge has a deeper sidecut radius than the front side edge, allowing you more leverage when on your heel side – unfortunately something Mother Nature hadn’t thought of. No more too-wide ball-buster heel side turns or bending over to keep balance. Start imagining decent heel and toe side turns without exerting the energy and effort it would take on a regular board! Save the stamina for all day…or night long slashing, park riding and tight tree assaults. Bi-O-Metric Sidecut makes this all possible.
Edited by ectobar

Damn did this get off topic! If anyone wants to try out the Contrabands before I get rid of them, I'll be at Sno Friday night, Saturday day and maybe sunday, Just PM me and i'll give you my cell, I made some adjustments and I think they might work out better, i'll give it one more shot...

Upon further contemplation the company I was thinking of was World Industries, who apparently sell some snowboards in very small adult sizes, but mostly kid exclusive sizes. I'm thinking they are still geared for kids, but maybe they are just jib machines. Who knows.

A year or two ago santa cruz decided that their snow division wasn't making them enough money so they dropped most of their team and scaled back their board production to a few models. All this really tells me is that they are not super concerned with product development and as a result I can't really recommend them as a brand.

Does anyone have any clue if Ride is coming back to Sno this year? I really want to demo the new cad's I'm not buying anything anymore without trying them first, also, has anyone ever ridden the cad's and have any comments?

I've never ridden them, but we have them in the shop, and there rediculously stiff. Also they are pretty heavy. But if your looking for something that is crazy stiff and bomber, there definitely the way to go.

• 1 month later...
Not a fan of the Contrabands at all. I demo'd them last year and rode a pair again this year. I had similar issues with getting strapped into them with 1 pair of boots (32 Lashed) but was fine with abnother pair (Burton Hails).

Did you adjust the strap at all? My buddy has them, also has 32 lashed, and his fit fine.

Did you adjust the strap at all? My buddy has them, also has 32 lashed, and his fit fine.

Yeah I adjusted them at home on both occassions. The issue wasn't so much that it was hard to get into but it was difficult to get them to feel right. Sometimes the toe felt loose when the ankle was tight and visa verse and it would vary between runs.

The concept is good, but its just not something I like. For something designed to make strapping in faster I certainly found myself spending more time adjusting them then I ever did with regular bindings.

Edited by burton71

Yeah I adjusted them at home on both occassions. The issue wasn't so much that it was hard to get into but it was difficult to get them to feel right. Sometimes the toe felt loose when the ankle was tight and visa verse and it would vary between runs.

The concept is good, but its just not something I like. For something designed to make strapping in faster I certainly found myself spending more time adjusting them then I ever did with regular bindings.

Those were my thoughts. I honestly have no problems buckling my straps, so why switch..

I finially rode them again last night, there on my park board, with my new boots they did fit a little bit better and it was nice un straping to get on the lift, I flew past a couple people to beet them on and had to unstrap fast... they still need some break in time though. I noticed if you strap in siting down there a lot easier, as for the ride quality, I have a pare of ride delta's and there pretty much the exact same binding but without the contraband strap and there pretty compareable to the response, they are noticeably lighter though.

I got a burton with the stupid ICS, and can't manage to fit a non-burton binding on it, I swore to my self last year that I would never buy a burton product again, but there was a really good deal on this board and I felt that I had to buy. The board I love, but I hate burton bindings; I heard forums/drakes can fit the channel with convert plate. Has anyone tried this, or had any luck with another companies binding.

I got a burton with the stupid ICS, and can't manage to fit a non-burton binding on it, I swore to my self last year that I would never buy a burton product again, but there was a really good deal on this board and I felt that I had to buy. The board I love, but I hate burton bindings; I heard forums/drakes can fit the channel with convert plate. Has anyone tried this, or had any luck with another companies binding.
There are plates for both Forum and Drake bindings that will work and the board will ride fine...but it is completely counter productive to use a non EST/ICS binding. It is designed to be used as a complete system.

It's fucking stupid I hate Burton bindings and would much prefer ride's or really any other brand. EST are overpriced and I don't want an all Burton setup. The board I got should have been offered in both bolts and ICS but sadly, it's not. I think I am going to cop some Forum Republics and put the conversion plate that came with the board.