Eagle Rock 12-25-08

bigdaddyk

After ditching CB, I still wanted to ski. Shawnee wanted $50 for tickets (too much), Elk was a little farther than I wanted to drive. I wasn't about to go to Sno, after being carted to their office last Christmas, due to a screw up on their part, and not even getting an apology. Eagle Rock was on my way home, so I stopped there. I drove down to the base and checked things out from the road. There were about 25 people out. The snow looked to be groomed cord, so I got a ticket. Two runs later, I bolted. The snow was ice and the diamonds had more cookies than at Blue. It was my first time there and the place does look like it would be good, on a decent day.

Edited by bigdaddyk

Hopefully it gets better, I'll post some reports with pics from there soon.

I think it was just a shitty day. The diamonds underneath the double chairs look like they would be awesome, when it's not icy. They are probably as steep as anything on the north face of Sno, just not as long. I hope to get back again, once more opens up.

I think it was just a shitty day. The diamonds underneath the double chairs look like they would be awesome, when it's not icy. They are probably as steep as anything on the north face of Sno, just not as long. I hope to get back again, once more opens up.

Majestic,the trail under the double double,is probally imho the best trail to make beautiful laid-out turns on a snowboard in all of NEPA.Too bad it doesn't keep it's pitch all the way from the top half of the mountain though.Since Eagle Rock got in trouble a few years back because of taking too much water from the quarry on top of the mountain,the snowmaking just hasn't been the same ever since.Even though ER was breaking the law slightly,it made for good conditions.

..Since Eagle Rock got in trouble a few years back because of taking too much water from the quarry on top of the mountain,the snowmaking just hasn't been the same ever since.Even though ER was breaking the law slightly,it made for good conditions.

Kind of funny that you mentioned that, because I rode a chair at JF, on Saturday, and the person I was talking to said that they heard that most places quit making snow after Feb. because of some water conservation law. That's the first I ever heard of that.

http://www.srbc.net/pubinfo/press/docs/Enf...0_Feb%2004_.pdf

It all depends on what watershed you are in and where you are getting your water.The problem at Eagle Rock was because of excessive water use above their permitted amount and not properly controlling the run-off into the river basin.A place like Jack Frost is allowed huge amounts of water because the water is returning to the place it originally came from.Also run-off doesn't matter much because you are right above the FE Walter dam.

Water conservation/run-off control becomes a huge consideration at many ski areas,especially those out west.Look at all the issues facing the Colorado River,there are going be major problems in the near future with it.It will eventually greatly affect the operation of ski areas in its basin.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=how-th...-drinking-water