Tuesday night training at Blue?

Racechick

I want to do this. I have "kicked the tires" for the past three years with this program and I think the stars have finally aligned to the point where I am going to do this. Since I am going to do the Beer league racing this year and Thursday night Naster, I figured I might as well get some instruction and go "all in/hit the trifecta" with racing.

mbike-ski: you have already signed up? The information on Blue's website is vague at best. No phone numbers, no meet-up locations. I was just going to show up next Tuesday with a bunch of cash in my pocket and start asking questions on how to join up. Is there a more formal procedure?

i called the number from the website (see below) and did it over the phone via credit card, got a release in the mail afew days later - pretty painless. i asked yesterday about where to meet etc. and all anybody could tell me is that anything racing meets at the bar - i'm down with that! starting date was pushed back to next tuesday 1/13

Adult Racing Ages 18 and up

This program is designed for men and women (ages 18 and up) who are intermediate to advanced skiers and want to improve their skiing. The emphasis of this program will be the introduction of new techniques that will help you develop your carving skills and enable you to ski gates.

DATES: 6 Tuesdays starting January 6, 2009

or

6 Wednesdays starting January 7, 2009

TIME: Tuesdays - from 7pm to 9:30pm;

Wednesdays - from 9:30am to noon

FEE: $165.00 (lift ticket not included) $155.00 if paid by Nov 14,2008

For more information call our Snow Sports School: 610-826-7700, ext. 1225

@mbike-ski I just put the race in quotes because last year it was broken up into two groups (ability) and since conditions were just awful it wasn't a lot of actual race training. More advanced ski coaching with a nod to gate training. I'll see you next Tuesday!

@Grilled I'm not on a race team and they only closed off Raceway for us so I'm pretty sure it's the same one. We did some training on Razors but not with real gates. And thanks! It's good to be here!

@Johnny and mbike- You heard right. We meet at the bar! God I love ski racing :-) Anyway, last year I signed up the first night. You just go to the ski school, pay and sign the release. See you all next Tuesday!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are a couple of us interested in doing the Blue race clinic next year. Can you describe the kinds of things you did this year over the course of the clinic?

- drills?

- run brushies or stubbies?

- full gates?

- slalom or gs sets? Or both?

-other?

Edited by trtaylor

There are a couple of us interested in doing the Blue race clinic next year. Can you describe the kinds of things you did this year over the course of the clinic?

- drills?

- run brushies or stubbies?

- full gates?

- slalom or gs sets? Or both?

-other?

It was a blast and i definately plan on doing it again next year. first few weeks did more drills than worked our way to more and more gates. sets were mostly slaloms with a few gilalolams (between a gs and a slalolm) thrown in, full gates with some stubbies here and there to mark turn initiation/fall line position on the set. coaches were very helpful and the group was a great bunch of guys ( and gals). pretty laid back structure and just alot of fun. alot of folks do this every year, i think one guy was in his 7th session.

It was a blast and i definately plan on doing it again next year. first few weeks did more drills than worked our way to more and more gates. sets were mostly slaloms with a few gilalolams (between a gs and a slalolm) thrown in, full gates with some stubbies here and there to mark turn initiation/fall line position on the set. coaches were very helpful and the group was a great bunch of guys ( and gals). pretty laid back structure and just alot of fun. alot of folks do this every year, i think one guy was in his 7th session.

Did everyone have slalom armor (shin guards, pole guards, chin guards)? Or just the more serious ones?

maybe about a third or so of the maybe 20-22 people who started out wear protective gear. I was a little nervous the first night booting up watching the guy next to me put on his spine protector! After a week or 2 of getting beat up i got some pole guards. i be lying if i said i didn't get a few bumps and bruises on the shins and arms. figure i'd add a piece of gear or two each year as i get more aggressive, next will be some better padded gloves as my hands seem to be taking the most punishment attempting to block

It is mostly slalom training. The hill we train on, Raceway, is not really wide or steep enough to train GS on. Also, even when they try a GS set it is with breakaway poles. If you are at all aggressive I would minimally uses pole guards as mbike mentioned. Shin guards are also a big help. I do have a chin guard as well but didn't use it for the Tuesday night stuff mostly because I was always running late and never had time to attach it to my helmet.

It is a VERY laid back format. You can get as much or as little coaching as you want. Some of us just ran the gates while others went off to do drills. It's pretty much up to you what you do.

I would highly recomend this program!

Thanks. I hope my work schedule lets me do it next year.

maybe about a third or so of the maybe 20-22 people who started out wear protective gear. I was a little nervous the first night booting up watching the guy next to me put on his spine protector! After a week or 2 of getting beat up i got some pole guards. i be lying if i said i didn't get a few bumps and bruises on the shins and arms. figure i'd add a piece of gear or two each year as i get more aggressive, next will be some better padded gloves as my hands seem to be taking the most punishment attempting to block

It is mostly slalom training. The hill we train on, Raceway, is not really wide or steep enough to train GS on. Also, even when they try a GS set it is with breakaway poles. If you are at all aggressive I would minimally uses pole guards as mbike mentioned. Shin guards are also a big help. I do have a chin guard as well but didn't use it for the Tuesday night stuff mostly because I was always running late and never had time to attach it to my helmet.

It is a VERY laid back format. You can get as much or as little coaching as you want. Some of us just ran the gates while others went off to do drills. It's pretty much up to you what you do.

I would highly recomend this program!