Do you use 2 different boards? 1 for rails/boxes & 1 for freeriding/jumps? Why? How often do you tune each?

TT C6

How about stance setups? Do any of you change the width of your stance for different boards, or maybe just the setback?

I use roughly the same width since I can't get it exactly the same (Burton & non-Burton inserts), the same angle, but i'm setback on my freeride board and in the middle on my park board.

How about stance setups? Do any of you change the width of your stance for different boards, or maybe just the setback?

The width is about the same on my freeride/jump board as it is on my park/jib board, but my stance angles are a little different: freeride +15/-6 park +12/-9. I'm pretty centered on the park board and have about an inch of setback on the freeride.

I have 1 board and 1 deck. A libtech skate banana (that does everything nice...jumps,jibs,rails,) which just replaced my rome agent, so the agent is sitting behind my tv(it was a solid board just due for an upgrade) on my banana i have the entire heal and toe edges detuned slightly(more on the contact points, then everywhere else) but the magnetraction really holds a nice edge even on ice so even if i make a mean carve before i spin it doesnt slip out. ALso it was no nose or tail edge so i dont have to worry bout hanging up on a press. and my stance angles are 15, -15 and this makes it much easier to land switch

I have 1 board and 1 deck. A libtech skate banana (that does everything nice...jumps,jibs,rails,) which just replaced my rome agent, so the agent is sitting behind my tv(it was a solid board just due for an upgrade) on my banana i have the entire heal and toe edges detuned slightly(more on the contact points, then everywhere else) but the magnetraction really holds a nice edge even on ice so even if i make a mean carve before i spin it doesnt slip out. ALso it was no nose or tail edge so i dont have to worry bout hanging up on a press. and my stance angles are 15, -15 and this makes it much easier to land switch

I have 2 boards. I have last years x8 for park and dorking around the mountian. It is a good board, very stable but I detuned the edges to the point i don't like taking it real fast on ice. To fix this I bough this years uninc for freeride and kickers. I keep the edges sharp so I don't take it on rails. I ride the x8 about 80% of the time and don't tune it hardly at all. I just wax it and fix core shots.

1 stick at the moment. Burton Custom 156, back about an inch +15 up front and -10 on the back I think. I could be off a bit with those numbers as I've been tweaking it a lot this season, and keep forgetting. I wanted to pick up a new board this season so my Custom could become more of a jib/beater board, but avy classes and gear took priority. My hope is to drop the load on a NS split next season though, but I'll prolly wuss out on the money commitment and just pick up a regular NS Heritage or Premier. Love my Custom, but I'm realizing I need a little more float out here to do what I really want to do.

Edit: Oh, and I usually get a professional tune at the beginning of the season, and then just sorta let the thing go to shit as the year goes on. I am however going to be schooled tonight by a friend on how to do it myself since I need to PTex a nice core shot. Figured may as well hot wax it while we've got everything out.

Edited by nick malozzi

I have like 9 boards (lol) but really only ride 3. I have a 157 for freeriding. A 154 for park riding. And a 151 for urban sessions. The 157 gets fully tuned about every 5-10 days of riding or so. The 154 gets waxed a lot but I rarely ever touch the edges. The 151 gets hit with rub on wax prior to a session and thats about it.

I have two boards but I pretty much just do everything with the 150 artifact and beat it up and just wax it every once in awhile but no sharpening.

I have a 153 forum recon that if I were to go somewhere I would be doing a lot more freeriding and not much park I would just pull that out for extra stability and edge.

Edit: Oh, and I usually get a professional tune at the beginning of the season, and then just sorta let the thing go to shit as the year goes on. I am however going to be schooled tonight by a friend on how to do it myself since I need to PTex a nice core shot. Figured may as well hot wax it while we've got everything out.

tuning gear yourself is where its at.. cheaper, and the gear stays in top condition longer.

What ever happened to base bevel? You can have the best of both worlds without detuning your edges. Beveling your base edge 2 or 3 degrees will give you all of the forgiveness you need on rails while still giving you sharp edges to bite into the ice wherever you need. I would never detune my edges, but that is just me. I run a 1 degree base bevel on all of my boards. I used to run a combination bevel on my jib boards - I would run 2 degrees from the tip to the front of the front binding, 3 from there to the back of the back binding, and 2 degrees from there to the tail. It worked really well. I could still take the boards anywhere and do anything and never had to worry about them catching an edge on the rails. In the end, I decided to go back to the 1 degree because it suits my needs better. If all I did was rails, I would go back to that setup.

As far as multiple boards, I keep a quiver of four boards on hand at all times (with many more in my basement). I rarely change mid-day, though. I usually decide what I want in the morning and stick to it. After all, any board can do anything, as long as it is within the ability of the rider. I know a former WC racer that can throw 1080's on his 190 race board and hard boots. By the same token, I have two different friends who are freestyle coaches that can beat most amateur racers in a course on their noodliest park boards.

Hope this helps.