TR: MLK Day - First Visit

GolfingOwl

Me, wife and two kids (7 and 10) hit snow today for the first time. Met another family up there who had never been to Sno either.

Conditions were fantastic - great groomed corderoy and light fluffy powder on undgroomed portions. We were on the mountain by 9 and skiing untouched cord for the first two hours virtually by ourselves (mostly hit Whistler/Upper Fast Track/Upper Runaway up top and Lower Runaway/Lower Fastrack down below). The powder on the sides of the trails and in the trees off Upper Fast Track were super fun and the kids (and I) had a blast playing in them the whole day. We eventually hit Smoke and Boomer (which the kids liked) and I hit White Lightning on my own which was big bumps with a little ice between the moguls (though ice was soft so it was managable). Conditions stayed pretty prime most of the day - only a couple icy spots late in the day.

Crowds were very light all day. Never waited at any lift. Only gripe was setting up race training on Lower Runaway. Trail is too narrow to take half of the slope away considering it is the easiest way down to the bottom.

The consensus from our group was that everyone was super-impressed with Sno. We will definitely be back this year.

P.S. Thanks everyone for the advice on the mountain, it was very helpful and spot on.

GO--glad you had such a fabulous time! I was actually up today; I saw a family looking they were having a fun time and wondered if it was you.

Track, to answer your questions, the Long Haul was running and the lodge wasn't very crowded--busy, but I have no problem getting a table for lunch.

GO--glad you had such a fabulous time! I was actually up today; I saw a family looking they were having a fun time and wondered if it was you.

Track, to answer your questions, the Long Haul was running and the lodge wasn't very crowded--busy, but I have no problem getting a table for lunch.

I got up there at about 5, and the long haul was NOT running. WTF with that? Oh well, conditions were great tonight, and they are getting some big jumps built on spike.

Wow, Long haul is usually only opened during weekends, I don't remember ever seeing it opened during the week melissa are you talking about today monday or sunday? Today I was helping my friends move into there apartment in scranton, So yeah, apparently because of MLK all the liqueur stores have to be closed WTF!!! I was so pissed! we were suposta get fucked up and celebrate but no... BTW i'm pretty sure MLK would be pretty pissed off they closed the booze store in his name, so thank you federal Government, you took all the fun out of MLK's birthday!!!

I'm certain that I took Long Haul today (Monday). Very few people on the lift though.

I actually noticed that the beer distributor was closed today and I was surprised. Please hate on the state gov't though--federal gov't has no control over when PA's liquor/beer stores are open.

Innovative thought: Carry-out places including Wegmans were selling beer today. Plan accordingly for the next federal/state holiday.

Long Haul was definitely running as we took it most of the day. Got off the mountain around 4 so can't speak to when it closed after that.

Lodge seemed full at lunch and day-end but you could find a spot. If that place ever gets busy, I could see that lodge being a nightmare.

Melissa - we were a combination of two families. I was wearing a bright green jacket, silver helmet, black pants. I have a 7 year old boy who was bombing down most runs, and a 10 year old girl. Also had a snowboarder with us (10 year old).

ohh duh it was mlk day thats why it was opened, melissa your right, its a federal holiday thats why I blamed it on them, even though I know it can very by state (Right?) me and my friends were gonna try and filter bankers club through a water purifier pitcher like they did in mith busters it was going to be great time(Even though I prefer GG or Sky,) Ohh I just tried Sky grape it was freeken amazing, Tasted like grape soda, me in my friend drank half a fifth in the steamtown mall parking lot last week and walked around for a while, ended up in the calf of scranton university, and pissed under like three stair sets on campus. it was a good time, I would definatly recomend the sky grape.