MLK weekend at Killington

boardin_nerd

As we pulled into the very full parking lot at around 11:00 AM on Sunday (the 18th.) the cold snow laid gently on the two inches already collected on the road. We had seven people crammed into a seven passenger mini van with three days worth of over packed suitcases and board bags. Needless to say we were all tired and crammed, and just ready to ride. I had not slept the whole way up. I stumbled out into the bank of Ramshead parking lot and sunk down to my thighs in powder. This was going to be a gorgeous weekend.

Sunday

Sunday was really full, lift lines for the high speed quads and the K-1 gondola were the longest I’ve seen them. Things went pretty fast and we didn’t wait more than fifteen minutes though.

Ramshead

There was about three or four inches of powder that had just lain over top of the groomers. The first run was down into timberline Terrain Park (Look down for the Timberline park report) We then took squeeze play a couple times. That was pretty nice; it was a little low on the snow, so we had to watch out for the core shots. But it had some nice powder deeper in and was a lot of fun!

Snowdon

After a little at Ramshead we took caper over to the Snowdon triple and hit mouse run. This park was really nice, not enough features though. Then we went down conclusion and a few of the moguls were pretty icy.. I was pretty unhappy about that.. and then just went over to the K-1 Gondola.

The Peak

We took great eastern down because my brother was still getting used to his skis and wasn’t prepared for a black diamond. We took a little tree trail immediately to the left and that lead us straight to a ten foot cliff drop.. so we all just hopped off that thing and continued on down great eastern. Thing got a little confusing, we were looking for The stash, and we made some weird turns and then stopped at a sign looked over and realized the stash was right there.. So we took off our board and hopped over the fence into the middle of the Stash. (Look down for the stash report)

It’s a little hazy what happened after that.. Since it was the first day, I can’t remember everything. But we did go down to the Skye ship gondola. The conditions down great eastern were great! Lots of fuN!

Monday

The Peak

We Grabbed the shuttle to K-1 and hit the gondola right away. The first run we took catwalk. First time I’ve ever done that trial. And What can I say.. one of my favorite runs! The hike to the actual trail was just beautiful! Snow coming down and laying on the ground, Four inches of fresh powder, and over a foot of older stuff. As I headed down I noticed the snow cover wasn’t to thick at parts. And there was a few little rocks and grass sticking up. But overall A LOT of fun hitting those powdered moguls. Then we took over into cascade. And this was one of my favorite runs. It was absolutely perfect groomed conditions. There was three inches over the cords and you could just fly down that trail feeling completely in control. We did that run maybe three times. Then we headed down to the Skye ship gondola.

Skye Peak

After finally discovering how to get to the Stash, we hit that several times. Then we hit skyeburst several times, also hitting dreammaker one or two times in there. Those conditions were again very nice.

Bear Mountain

We then went through some tree trails. Where there was about a foot or two of powder and some awesome cliff drops. Then we came out under the high speed quad and got yelled at by a ski patrol dude. Oh well…

We took superstar to great northern and superstar was some good moguls and we kept dodging in and out of the trees and hitting moguls. What a fun run!

Ramshead

After heading over to Ramshead to get some lunch at around one we then lapped mouse park, timberline park and squeeze play for pretty much the rest of the day, And a horrible experience on the rope tow <_<

Tuesday

The peak

We took Catwalk to cascade again, and not as good as conditions the last day, because it wasn’t snowing as hard. And hadn’t snowed the night before. But overall again it was fun. Then my two brothers wanted to juggernaut. I knew this would be bad idea since we had a snowboard. But they insisted. So after many tight tree trails to try and avoid the flat spots and many unstrapping and very sore feet we FINALLY made it down to Bear Mountain.

Skye peak

The half pipe opened at around mid day. and we lapped dreammaker for a LONG time. And hit the half pipe for the first time in my life! Woot woot :-D

Then we took skye lark down to the K-1 lodge. And the conditions were a little icy. What we would call a good day around here.. but still not the greatest :-\

Snowdon

We went up to the k-1 gondola and took great northern over to the rope tow. Then lapped the park with the rope tow.. I must admit I wasn’t to happy about that arrangement… hated the rope tow… and it kept getting my legs tired which made me suck in the park. And so I decided I was going over to Ramshead to hit timberline since we didn’t have too much time left. Mouse trap was most definitely a fun run.

Ramshead

We lapped header and timberline for the rest of the day.. then took caper over for the last run of the weekend.

The Parks

Timberline

Jumps were small enough to try stuff on, but seemed to not spit you high enough for how long they were.. You needed more speed then the hill allowed, or maybe my board just needed waxing. The second and third day the lips got icy. So it was harder to throw spins off them. But if you went off to the side it was fine. The rails were set up nice. Although very small since it is a progression park. The lips for a few of them were really icy.

The Stash.

Gotta admit, I was pretty disappointed. The entrance took a little to get to.. it was kinda confusing. But it was fine once you figured it out.

The first time through we went through the tree entrance. And that had nothing hittable.. and low snow coverage. So you were scrapping tree roots and rocks randomly through this tight tree trails. Then we got spit out almost halfway down the park. Then took another tree trail. Which had a few rainbow rails in it. Which was alright. But they were too notty to try boardslides or anything like that. They didn’t have the roof open on the candy shack. But the handrail was super fun. The features were pretty good. A few of the landings were kinda icy. But it was alright. Nothing like down here in PA. the vertical tree jib was really nice! And the stump bonks seemed to not throw you high enough. You had to really pop to get over them. So you couldn’t concentrate on the bonking, u had to concentrate on the ollieing. :-\

The rest of the rails were fine.. but nothing special.. I prefer regular rails…

The jumps were all pretty good. They were set up like cliff drops.

Overall it was fun. But I wasn’t impressed.

Mouse Run

The jump was not good at all. So I skipped that most of the time. The flat down was fun to try stuff on.. I like the C rails but I wasn’t used to ollieing on to them. Since bear creeks is like a ride on.. I didn’t like the tree jib at all. Because there was two trees about four feet apart. And to bonk it in front of you if you were regular you had to go through those tree’s. and it just made me uneasy.

A few of the lips got a little icy on the second and third day.

Dream Maker

Everything on this park was so much fun. We lapped it so many times. I didn’t find any icy spots. The lips were very nice! And the step-over jump was absolutely perfect! Hit it with A LOT of speed. Yet wasn’t intimidating to try things on cuz you never got more then two feet off the ground!

The halfpipe was fun! Never hit one before. And it wasn’t icy, it was very nice. I could only climb to about the vertical part.. or a little lower then 180. but it was still fun.

Sorry about the whole freaking paper there guys. I was bored. And felt like writing.

Overall it was a great weekend! with great conditions! best i've ever ridden in fo sho! B)

I know! and if you keep hiking furthur theres that absolutely awesome lookout! man what fun!

and how come your like the only one who reads my TR's? haha guess there too lengthy :-P

and I stayed at grey bonnet inn.. it was the cheapest motel that fit seven people. it was soo nice! cuz it had a library and game room. and a den with an open fire. and a hot tub! which was really nice to relax in after a hard day of boarding!