Snowboard boot pain

backcountry_rider

Hey guys, hopefully you can help with this. I haven't encountered this area in pain from riding before.

I just picked up some new boots (pretty stiff, but not carve out of stone) and rode them recently.

By the end of the day the bottom of my calf on my back foot (right) was killing me on the inside of my leg. It was bruised when I took my boot off. I didn't have any spills or anything all day...don't know what's going on.

More info:

Rear binding is ridden at 12 degrees, front at 24

Stance measurement? no idea...it felt a little wide all day

board: 163+ '03 rossi avalon

This is the first time I've ridden in these boots (head Triple Black)

I kept the liners tight, but not cinched down

I kept the boots tight, but also not cinched down

The pain was more intense on heelside

Any insight/suggestion is appreciated!

Edited by backcountry_rider

Hey guys, hopefully you can help with this. I haven't encountered this area in pain from riding before.

I just picked up some new boots (pretty stiff, but not carve out of stone) and rode them recently.

By the end of the day the bottom of my calf on my back foot (right) was killing me on the inside of my leg. It was bruised when I took my boot off. I didn't have any spills or anything all day...don't know what's going on.

More info:

Rear binding is ridden at 12 degrees, front at 24

Stance measurement? no idea...it felt a little wide all day

board: 163+ '03 rossi avalon

This is the first time I've ridden in these boots (head Triple Black)

I kept the liners tight, but not cinched down

I kept the boots tight, but also not cinched down

The pain was more intense on heelside

Any insight/suggestion is appreciated!

I used to get that pain on occasion when I first got my boots but on my front foot. Came to figure out it was a matter of finding the right balance between having the liner/boot too tight or loose. Had to try a few variations to find the happy medium. Also, now that the boots are broken in the range at which the "happy medium" sits is a lot larger now that the boot is softer.

So my advice would be to just play around as the days go by and find what works.

The boot may be too tall for your shin.

I've had Burtons, Air walks, and 5 other brands of boots over the last 13 years.

I found that a shorter boot would not bite the muscle in the back of my shin.

They don't make boots with shin length from heel to knee in mind.

They make boots in shoe sizes and assume that if you wear a size ten then you probably are 6 foot tall

and have a lean leg up to the bulging muscle in the back of your shin. Sort of the wine glass shape

then where it starts to get fatter.

I'm short, 5'6" so my short legs do not fit in just about every ski or snowboarding boot I've tried on.

I've worn boots for 3 runs and never again after determining they where too tall for my leg and bit me.

The Chinese have been making snowboarding boots that are meant for short people ... not Americans.....with a shorter

shin.... that boot fit me but I can't find another like them. I got those boots a few years ago

...last on the shelf of a discontinued brand.

When they started to leak water I used car repair fiberglass mesh and epoxy glue to wrap the

toes and make turtle shells.

If anyone has any China trips in the future then let me know and I'll pay you to buy me boots there.

Is the pain at the boot top level, or further down inside the boot?

Is your stance really 24/12 or is it 24/-12? If it's ducked out (24/-12) the 24 on the front could be doing it. Either embrace the forward stance or dial back the front angle and get your shoulders parallel with the board. I would recommend the duck and less front angle anyways, but that's just me.

I'm also interested in the highbacks of your bindings. What kind of forward lean are you working with. Did you rotate the highbacks so they are parallel or close to parallel with the heel edge.

The next easy move is to tightly lace the bottom of the boot, but let the top go a little looser. If you have big calves your boot should still fit fine in this scenario.

24/12 -- I don't like duck; I definitely get deeper trenches out of my carves and higher speeds with both forward.

My highbacks are rotated somewhat, the front moreso than the back. Neither is parallel with the heelside, but close (probably a degree differential of around 6-8). I have a little forward lean on them, but not too much (lean set to the second of five notches on both bindings).

The pain is at the boot top, and it's visibly obvious that the pain is from pressure (bruising, sore to the touch)

I was just looking at the boots on the Head website. There is a high point on the liner cuff that looks like it would sit right about where you are getting the pain. I'd guess that is the culprit. You're stance is more then likely increasing it's damaging effects (mostly your forward lean angle). Sounds to me like the bruising is occurring when you are slightly straightening your back leg during turns.

I'd recommend working that piece of liner with your hands. Break it down a little, soften it up. You'll basically accelerate the break in cycle on that part of the boot. If that still doesn't do it, try what Glenn and I are suggesting with finding the good lacing combo. If you are still getting the pain you have three options.

1) Start playing with your stance/lean angle.

2) Get new boots.

3) Suck it up and bare it.

I was just looking at the boots on the Head website. There is a high point on the liner cuff that looks like it would sit right about where you are getting the pain. I'd guess that is the culprit. You're stance is more then likely increasing it's damaging effects (mostly your forward lean angle). Sounds to me like the bruising is occurring when you are slightly straightening your back leg during turns.

I'd recommend working that piece of liner with your hands. Break it down a little, soften it up. You'll basically accelerate the break in cycle on that part of the boot. If that still doesn't do it, try what Glenn and I are suggesting with finding the good lacing combo. If you are still getting the pain you have three options.

1) Start playing with your stance/lean angle.

2) Get new boots.

3) Suck it up and bare it.

i like to practice #3 as often as possible