Ski Instructors

HouseMuzik

I don't know what these folks are teaching their students.. but several times on lower Polar Bear tonight I witnessed these folks cut people off on the way down the trail for whatever lesson program they were doing with Ski Patrol. Hell do it on Kodiak for christs sake, not a narrow trail like that.

Plus the guy who came up on my blind side and cut in front of me no more than 2-3 feet ahead of me, your an asshole. It took all i had tonight not to stop and bitch the guy out. Ridiculous. I'm sure you're teaching your students that people ahead of you have the right of way correct?

GRRRRR....

Edited by HouseMuzik

I don't know what these folks are teaching their students.. but several times on lower Polar Bear tonight I witnessed these folks cut people off on the way down the trail for whatever lesson program they were doing with Ski Patrol. Hell do it on Kodiak for christs sake, not a narrow trail like that.

Plus the guy who came up on my blind side and cut in front of me no more than 2-3 feet ahead of me, your an asshole. It took all i had tonight not to stop and bitch the guy out. Ridiculous. I'm sure you're teaching your students that people ahead of you have the right of way correct?

GRRRRR....

I agree 100%, all too often I find myself being cutoff by students and their instructors.

I agree 100%, all too often I find myself being cutoff by students and their instructors.

Yup that too.. which i partially understand cause theyre new. We're talking about a ski patrol guy teaching the ski instructors. Of anybody, they should know better. I was floored that this guy even did it!

You guys are talking about two different things. I went looking for the Tech. Dir. of the snowsports school today to show him this thread. HouseMusik's point was well taken and I was going to make sure that if things went down like this, they would not again.

OTOH, saying that you got cut off by and instructor and their students sounds more like you were the one uphill and they were making turns in front of you. If that is the case, it is your responsibility to avoid them because they are in front of you. I see people all of the time who lack the skills to turn and fly straight down the hill and get pissed because people are making turns and turn in front of them. The people downhill actually have the right to turn however they want so they are NOT cutting anybody off.

I see this the most on Drifter, Lower Polar Bear and Lower Kodiak. Instructors and their groups are making nice (albeit painfully slow) turns and people come screaming through their group. I also hear people complaining at the bottom about these people cutting them off. If you want to go straight and feel that people making turns below you are cutting you off, there is always tubing.

My $0.02

You guys are talking about two different things. I went looking for the Tech. Dir. of the snowsports school today to show him this thread. HouseMusik's point was well taken and I was going to make sure that if things went down like this, they would not again.

Phil I can assure you I had no way of seeing this guy until he came around my front.. I ride goofy so he came up on my right side which i have no way of seeing ("blind spot"). I was with the Dutchmen that night for lessons.. and several of them, including our instructor, witnessed this idiot.

It looks even worse on the ski patrol guy who should had said something to this guy about doing something like that..

you are very confusing in what you are saying...there would not be a ski patroller teaching an instructor...second, if an instructor has a group of kids and they are in front of you...you have to avoid them...an easy way of doing this is staying off the beginer slopes...we only take beginers on very few trails...i would know im an instructor and all you guys bitch and moan about getting cut off when its my kids that are getting cut off...i should be the one on here bitching and moaning about it

OTOH, saying that you got cut off by and instructor and their students sounds more like you were the one uphill and they were making turns in front of you. If that is the case, it is your responsibility to avoid them because they are in front of you. I see people all of the time who lack the skills to turn and fly straight down the hill and get pissed because people are making turns and turn in front of them. The people downhill actually have the right to turn however they want so they are NOT cutting anybody off.

I see this the most on Drifter, Lower Polar Bear and Lower Kodiak. Instructors and their groups are making nice (albeit painfully slow) turns and people come screaming through their group. I also hear people complaining at the bottom about these people cutting them off. If you want to go straight and feel that people making turns below you are cutting you off, there is always tubing.

My $0.02

If you want to play good cop bad cop, technically they should be skiing in control.

These people wouldn't know control if it hit them upside their head.

Yes, I understand that the person below you has the right away. However, this does not mean they need to do turns across the entire trail that leads directly to the lift. Especially when their motions are completely unpredictable.

Perhaps the instructors should use only 80% of the trail and leave the sides open for those of us who want enough speed to make it to the lift without having to unstrap our bindings.

to k2:

uhhhh the guy was teaching a group of instructors -- he was wearing a black national ski patrol fleece pulover. So he was a patrolman of some sort. I know what instructors/patrollers look like.. don't get so defensive all of a sudden. the instructor was wrong, and there was no "group" ahead of me. Nothing was confusing about what i said at all.

The signs at your resort with the "code" say that the person in front of you has the right of way, period. There's really nothing else i can say. That is a huge safety issue and either him or i could have gotten hurt. And you better believe I would have been talking to management if one of their employees was the reason why i was if it would have happened.

It's unacceptable. If people are cutting off your kids, then you report them to ski patrol.

if he was in a black fleece then he is the one guy that does training for ski instructors...he is no part of ski patrol...ski patrol would never train instructors...they are to totally different things

plus idk what trail this was on but students are only taken on three slopes...the learn to ride section which is roped off... the bunny hill which if your riding there you have no right to bitch cuz you should go on there expecting to get cut off and run into...and the trail next to the beginner triple(not the beginer terrain park the next trail over)...only other exceptions would be private lessons which the students are able to ride and can control themselves and we are just helping them inprove their skills...but it sounds like this happened once to you and your complaining...you know how many different threads there would be on here if every time someone got cut off they made a new thread about it?? when your riding you have to watch out for yourself and for others in order for you to stay safe...there are stupied people out there

Edited by k2rider2690

For the record:

I approached the Snowsports School Tech. Dir. today and mentioned what was said on this thread. He assured me that this was NOT a snowsports school clinic Tuesday night. I saw the clinic in question Tuesday night and I also saw the other two clinics on the hill. One was for snowboard instructors, the other was for ski instructors. Neither of those two were the clinic that you are speaking of.

Just thought that I would set the record straight...

Also, K2 rider, the person in the black fleece was not the Tech. Dir. He was giving the other clinic to the ski instructors. Again, the ski instructors group was not the group in question.

Neutral - I'm not trying to play good cop, bad cop either, but anyone downhill from you has the right to ride/ski however they want, wherever they want as long as they 1. do not hit someone below them and 2. yield if they merge onto another trail. What you may see as irratic behavior or taking up 80 percent of the trail is actually perfectly acceptable. It may very well be annoying to you and maybe others on the mountain, but it is their right and anyone coming down the hill behind them still has the responsibility to not hit them.

The same thing happens with racers/carvers - they have the ability to change direction on a dime and be all the way to the other side of the hill in a split second. I have seen people try to pass them and fail miserably. It was still the fault of the person trying to pass even though the racer/carver was extremely unpredictable and changed sides of the trail in the blink of an eye. At least the beginners/people in lessons are going slow.

This was the trail right next to Timberline. All I know is that it was a group of maroon jacketed instructors and some gentleman with ski patrol fleece teaching it. And this gentleman KNEW what he was doing. He had to see me since he turned into me. The reason why this thread was started was because it was an INSTRUCTOR who did it.

Above all, these people should be following the proper rules of the hill. There's a huge difference between being cut off by a newb (who doesn't know better) and an employee/instructor (who do know better). I wouldn't be starting just any thread for an incident like this. Added to the behavior of some of these folks in this group outside of this stated event (there was more lack of courtesy elsewhere with others), which I haven't even gotten into here, and that was more than enough to bring it up.

These are always fun conversations. You didn't have self control not to talk to the guy about what he was doing wrong, you lacked the balls to confront him, in a sane and civil manner. I've approached a handful of instructors and calmly explained why they were complete morons on the hill. All but one uptight and self-righteous little twerp responded positively and thanked me for me observation. I don't know if they changed their methods, but it didn't turn into a shouting match, and they all seemed to understand my concerns.

If you really wanted to change the scenario go up and let them know what you saw, and how it could be done better. If you can't cool your jets, spray the whole class, grab your balls triumphantly and ride away, making sure not to catch an edge and gape up the whole scenario.

Or cry on the internet about some insignificant incident you experienced where no one was actually hurt and no real confrontation actually happened. It just makes you look kind of silly though.

Or cry on the internet about some insignificant incident you experienced where no one was actually hurt and no real confrontation actually happened. It just makes you look kind of silly though.

Personally, the tone of your post and the name calling and condescension makes you look equally as silly, buy I do digress.

Edited by HouseMuzik

These are always fun conversations. You didn't have self control not to talk to the guy about what he was doing wrong, you lacked the balls to confront him, in a sane and civil manner. I've approached a handful of instructors and calmly explained why they were complete morons on the hill. All but one uptight and self-righteous little twerp responded positively and thanked me for me observation. I don't know if they changed their methods, but it didn't turn into a shouting match, and they all seemed to understand my concerns.

If you really wanted to change the scenario go up and let them know what you saw, and how it could be done better. If you can't cool your jets, spray the whole class, grab your balls triumphantly and ride away, making sure not to catch an edge and gape up the whole scenario.

:)

thats the most constructive post i've seen on this thread.

Far from constructive. Start a confrontation on the hill. That would have been sooo smart. Hmm sounds like a bunch of people up at Blue not too long ago, no? We know how good it made those people look.

HouseMuzik. Chill. Count backwards from 10.

When you are pissed on the hill, do the same. If you still feel like it's an issue, go talk talk to the person in a calm and sane manner. If you don't get why this is a good idea, please stop skiing, you're ruining the party for everyone else.

Edited by Glenn

HouseMuzik. Chill. Count backwards from 10.

When you are pissed on the hill, do the same. If you still feel like it's an issue, go talk talk to the person in a calm and sane manner. If you don't get why this is a good idea, please stop skiing, you're ruining the party for everyone else.

Funny.. i'm not pissed at all... jumping to conclusions are we? I was over it pretty much the day after. Said my piece, now i'm done.

lol, some people on here...