What happened to the lights?

Santa Clauss

I asked and I guess they just stopped working, I think he said they were going to fix all the lights on that tower, that would help out tremendously.

Please, Sno investors, owners, managers, If there's one thing you can do to improve the park's in a major way, its to change all those lights to the whites, there already broken, 2 out of 8 actually work, please, please fund this project...

What they need to do is rip all of the lighting out and put new lighting in on the whole mountain. Stagger it all the way down the trail on opposite sides. Those white lights are OK but they are so low to the ground that they are not use to max output.

agree, I have heard talk about it being a possibility, but you know sno, plus they have that water park to finish. When it comes to the mountain, lights should be priority one, amd close next should be to add more or replace the pumps, its just too risky, from what I heard, those pumps are OLD, they put in all those new guns but cant use em' all because they don't have the water. AND if one goes down they're in trouble because they pretty much need 4 out of 5 pumps just to get the volume up the mountain, the 5th is what's giving pressure. of course there are exceptions like i'm sure they would only need a few if they were just going to blow on the park but regardless. Look how much the park suffered january because they focused on opening the rest of the mountain. It would be amazing if they could use every gun on the mountain at the same time... I'm sure there may be electrical restrictions too but hey, I'm not an expert on the subject

CLAUSS, I agree with you 100%! Bobert540 has it right. They need to completely redo the lighting system. Just tear down those parking lot lights and hire a lighting engineer to redo the system. It would probably pay for itself in a year.

In the mean time a few strategically place lights would greatly enhance the night skiing experience at a relatively low cost. Skiers right of the headwall on Boomer is completely dark as are many other places on the mountain. The owner's a lawyer for crying out loud. If someone gets hurt night skiing, all a jury would have to see is that they can't see the hand in front of their face in a lot places on the mountain, never mind on a black diamond!

Clause,

I am not triing to make you look bad, but I just want to correct you on your pump info. It takes one pump to get up to pressure on the system. The other pumps are what you use for volume. If you havent noticed on the weekends, you may not be up here that early i dont know. But, we have been dusting the whole mountain for the skiers. Thats all the trails. So we actually make snow on everytrail on the weekend for conditions. The pumps are all in good shape. Every pump had been rebuilt or replaced when sno purchased the mountain and every motor serviced or replaced. They currently are all in working order. Now things due break during the season and at times there may be a pump or motor not in service. Usually it is not for a long period of time. As for the tower light issue, I am sorry for the inconvience. We have electrician scheduled to repair that tower light. We are not equiped to climb 100' towers, so we are at the mercy of the electricians as to when the can fix it. Again I am not triing to yell at you or make you look bad. I just want to correct some of your info. Thanks

woh random employees come out of the woodwork, I'm sorry but i'm gonna have to make you look bad, read again bud

me

they pretty much need 4 out of 5 pumps just to get the volume up the mountain, the 5th is what's giving pressure.

you

It takes one pump to get up to pressure on the system. The other pumps are what you use for volume.

It's cool man, but everything I know, I learned from the snowmakers, so if my info is wrong, It's because of what they told me.

About fixing/adding pumps, everything I heard about those pumps from your guys last year was that they were really old. I don't know if the pump house can fit more pumps, I don't know how your system is set up, but my whole point was if you could add a 6th pump you would have more security incase one goes down, or when starting the season you can have more volume for those sparce cold days/nights, this could get you opening more trails earlier, I Know all pumps are in working order, I was just stating my opinions for what should be a priority... Thats the point of this forum

I also didn't say do the lights now, I said since the 6 out of 8 were broken now (actually all at this point) would be a great time. I was saying If there was one thing you could do that would dramatically improve the mountain, it would be to get going on those lights everywhere... Trackbiker had a great idea, to hire a lighting engineer. Do it this summer when you can, but please have it done by next season.

I do come up early on weekend's and i'll say that your blowing on those nights absolutely saves lightning, BUT not grooming the main headwalls of boomer and smoke (At least for last sunday morning) left those headwalls really choppy in the morning, I'm assuming you guys didn't have the time.

I'm adding this, Look man, I'm a volunteer firefighter, I know a little bit about pumps and pressure, I understand that it takes a shit ton of power to move that much volume of water up a mountain and i'm actually fascinated about it and think its amazing, what I said about starting the season you'll have more volume, I mean volume with pressure, It seemed like you were only making piles on a few trails at a time which to me seems like it takes a hell of a lot more volume to make piles than to dust the whole mountain...

Cheech should I add this to my journal? lol

Sno rider I think I figured out who you are and your a great guy, I read your post like 15 times just to be sure i'm not wrong, I'm not quite sure what you were correcting me on, You were making a statement so me saying i'm making you look bad was over stated. Anyway, I'm just happy you have someone scheduled to fix the problem, will they fix all the lights on that tower? I will be so happy if all those lights were working, do you know what's actually making the lights turn on and off? you wouldn't know who sno skier is do you? he was an asshole

The only time a system can use full water capacity is very low temps. 0 degrees F.

So, to have extra pumps for early season start-up just doesn't compute.

Most snowmaking decisions have nothing to do with system capacity and are more weather related.

Until you are on the side of a mountain at 3am with a 30 mph east wind then you really should trust the judgement of the pros.

No one cares more about snow than a snowmaker!!!

Edited by snomakerglenn

I'm really surprised on how light the pictures came out, It was taken on an iPhone, the exposure was a couple seconds so most of the pictures actually look brighter than if you were there, not to mention moving from bright white to dark, and coming up the lift your eyes are exposed to the lights shinning at you. blah blah blah

I'm not trying to start any shit, I'm just showing the people who may not have seen this problem yet.

notice the last picture, that is the problem tower, notice the pole and the low hanging power lines? those lines should really be put under ground for next year.

Ohh yeah glen, what's your point?

wow remind me to never ski Sno at night.

Haha.. it's actually not THAT bad.

For decades they managed to get by fine with only those yellow/orange lights..

The additional white lights are an improvement, the mountain just fell short on the placement of them.

extra pumps make a shit ton of sense when it delays progress when one goes down.

REGARDLESS we had a great season, and still (Hopefully) a full month left!

If you have 5 pumps and you can only use 2 of them because it's not -5 degrees, how many more would you go and buy?

The situation that you are talking about requires more air, more compressors, it has absolutely nothing to do with water

Clearly you are confused on the process of snowmaking and I was trying to inform you so that your frustration level would go down.

You're right on about the great season and you'll get at least another month. (at the right mt.)

After seeing those pictures of the lights I can understand why this thread was started.

Ride on!!!!!

This is gonna be fast BUT

From what I heard they ALWAYS NEED 5 pumps under normal snow making conditions to get up to pressure.

Each gun has its own compressor

I'm sorry but your underestimating me, I've made my own snow machine using an air compressor, pressure washer, brass fittings, check out snow at home I copied off that. it was very effective. I can take a picture of it if you want. I know all about how it works, wet bulb temp, nucleation, the whole 9 yards.

I gave up on it because it was very time consuming for where I live, plus I have a freeken mountain to ski at. regardless. I know more than most people on here.

Dime if your saying i'm wrong please correct me, glen said more air, Each Gun at sno has its own air compressor, thats a fact, the fan guns have vein pumps and the vikings have piston compressors.

Besides that the snow makers at sno are doing an amazing job, any ice is pretty much because of skier traffic, the groomers on the other hand could be better, but there not that bad.

Regardless, This is about the lights!

I felt bad about posting those pics, after who ever sno rider is explained the situation. but then I realized, the lights sucked there first season, sucked even more last year, and are absolutely horrible this season, they have been horrible since opening, I don't know if its the balasts in those lights but that tower had 2 out of 8-10 lights working all year, they NEED TO BE REPLACED!!! now they all go out and ohh now lets call an electrician? are you serious? thats just major neglect, just with every other trail on the mountain, hmm, pick any trail on NF and I'll tell you several major problems or lights that go on and off randomly, and then when they do replace/add lights, they only put them up about 10ft off the ground!

I do have to give them credit for the effort, but they're wasting there time, anyone ever drive past CB? the whole mountain is lit up perfectly! someone find a pic and post it

Look, people still get the impression of montage and how shitty the conditions were, especially at night, death cookies, ice, I wasn't there much before it was sno but all the memories I have were ICE. People look up at that mountain from the highway and the valley and see the same mountain, I guarantee, replacing all those lights PROPERLY!!! would add some serious business to the place and would defiantly pay for its self in night ticket sales.