switch

tretiak

just practice... lol sounds lame but i sucked at it really bad at first. Then one weekend I tried again after like a year of not really messing with it. and it clicked...

however my suggestion to learn/practice is take an easy trail but long nile mile, paradise, etc... just drop in switch, go slow, DO NOT DO NOT switch stances. you'll look like a newb at first which i hated the most really for learning but it's gotta happen... do it a few times and eventually you'll be able to translate your mechanics from being able to ride regular to switch. shouldn't take as long as getting good to begin with

just practice... lol sounds lame but i sucked at it really bad at first. Then one weekend I tried again after like a year of not really messing with it. and it clicked...

however my suggestion to learn/practice is take an easy trail but long nile mile, paradise, etc... just drop in switch, go slow, DO NOT DO NOT switch stances. you'll look like a newb at first which i hated the most really for learning but it's gotta happen... do it a few times and eventually you'll be able to translate your mechanics from being able to ride regular to switch. shouldn't take as long as getting good to begin with

Do not switch stances? I hope your talking about changing the board from regular to goofy or vice versa. I would hope he would adjust his foot angles as he finds a comfortable regular and switch foot angle.

As far as learning, I'm not the greatest switch rider, and I have no intentions to be, but... I practice 180's all the time, on the flat, off small little natural features, bigger jumps etc. So, if you just work on 180's you will be switch alot. I don't know if you have aspirations to ride the blacks switch, but for the basic landing spins, switch off of rails etc, my technique seems to be working. I worked at the beginning of the year with the method forumpl155 but it was too tedious, I'd much rather just ride. On the other hand, like I said... I'm not the greatest switch rider.

Either way, its all about practice, and getting comfortable with everything being backwords.

skiing switch and being able to carve a turn switch are two entirely different things. 

Can't say I've seen too many skiers with twins actually carve going forward :rofl There is a ski patrol at camelback who tele's on twins, and most definitely can carve switch. :o It's pretty excellent to see, especially since he was doing it down the asp.

I can carve forward?

Jeff, Stop.

Derrick, you weren't going fast at all, and you were on a flat section. It's different.

And skiing switch isn't that hard. But yeah, Carving is hard, and staying in control takes practice.

Edited by insomniac

Do not switch stances? I hope your talking about changing the board from regular to goofy or vice versa. I would hope he would adjust his foot angles as he finds a comfortable regular and switch foot angle.

As far as learning, I'm not the greatest switch rider, and I have no intentions to be, but... I practice 180's all the time, on the flat, off small little natural features, bigger jumps etc. So, if you just work on 180's you will be switch alot. I don't know if you have aspirations to ride the blacks switch, but for the basic landing spins, switch off of rails etc, my technique seems to be working. I worked at the beginning of the year with the method forumpl155 but it was too tedious, I'd much rather just ride. On the other hand, like I said... I'm not the greatest switch rider.

Either way, its all about practice, and getting comfortable with everything being backwords.

I said don't switch stances as in don't use the fact that you can ride regular as a way to cheat out of falling. also i never changed my binding angles. mine are set to like a duck foot stance anyways so there's only like a 5 degree diff between the front and back foot. not really noticeable...