Rumor - Blue Projected Opening 12/4/09

RootDKJ

I called Blue today to re-new my pass. After taking care of the business, she asked me if there was anything else I needed. I just replied "Turn on the snowmaking as soon as possible". She mentioned that they have made several improvements to the snow-making system recently, and they are shooting for an opening day of 12/4 (Friday??), weather dependent of course.

Anyone know what the snowmaking improvements are?

Blue ALWAYS says they are making improvements to their snow making. They always say that. As far as improvements they added a couple of guns..maybe worked on the compressors a bit but thats really it. Nothing to fancy. As far as opening that date sounds good, again all temperature dependent.. I live a mile from Blue so I'll keep everyone posted the min I see them hooking up the guns.

I was hiking on Challange last weekend and there was no trench or anything dug. No loose dirt at all..Nothing but 5 foot tall weeds haha

i was up there biking last saturday and there most certainly was a large trench dug up to the top of challenge, and a random pole in the middle of the trail at the top of the first headwall. there are others from this board that were up there with me that could vouch for that.

i was up there biking last saturday and there most certainly was a large trench dug up to the top of challenge, and a random pole in the middle of the trail at the top of the first headwall. there are others from this board that were up there with me that could vouch for that.

That random pole is for the new winch cat they are geting from pisten bully

That random pole is for the new winch cat they are geting from pisten bully

so for some reason they can't anchor the winch to another cat? they've gotta put a pole in the middle of the trail? i hope they realize that they can anchor it to another cat so they start using the thing to make better landings for jumps on sidewinder.

• Like 1

If you anchor to another cat it costs you twice as much for the same grooming.

how do you figure? i've never driven a cat so i'm not entirely sure, but i don't see why they'd have to keep the anchor cat running and have someone sitting in it the whole time? as dumb as it may sound, it really wouldn't surprise me if people end up skiing into that pole at the top of challenge.

bluebomber, i'm well aware of the benefits of a winch cat and how it in theory should make grooming steep sections of trail easier. your point about them paying someone to sit on their ass doesn't address the fact that they are planning on using the thing in the park as well, where they will have to have an anchor cat sitting on the deck of a jump.

how do you figure? i've never driven a cat so i'm not entirely sure, but i don't see why they'd have to keep the anchor cat running and have someone sitting in it the whole time? as dumb as it may sound, it really wouldn't surprise me if people end up skiing into that pole at the top of challenge.

bluebomber, i'm well aware of the benefits of a winch cat and how it in theory should make grooming steep sections of trail easier. your point about them paying someone to sit on their ass doesn't address the fact that they are planning on using the thing in the park as well, where they will have to have an anchor cat sitting on the deck of a jump.

If you park a cat somewhere it can't be grooming elsewhere. Lets say you have 10 cats, you will have the staff to man 10 cats for all grooming hours. That means you either screw over drivers on work, or you have one sitting there. You may want to have on sitting there anyways if the cat starts slipping, I don't know. Also, if you do have something else for them to do, you need another employee to shuttle them via snowmobile, or another hour between the two cat drivers involved for the shuttling.

So maybe not 2x's the cost, but the cost is significant, especially when it's an ongoing cost, and installing a anchor is a one time cost, which involves a little cement and a metal pole.

I've never found them to be a nuisance, in fact there is a good bonk on one at WP.

If someone hits that thing, who cares. Ski at your own risk. Besides it's the mountain who is liable not you, stop the fretting.

• Like 1

If you park a cat somewhere it can't be grooming elsewhere. Lets say you have 10 cats, you will have the staff to man 10 cats for all grooming hours. That means you either screw over drivers on work, or you have one sitting there. You may want to have on sitting there anyways if the cat starts slipping, I don't know. Also, if you do have something else for them to do, you need another employee to shuttle them via snowmobile, or another hour between the two cat drivers involved for the shuttling.

So maybe not 2x's the cost, but the cost is significant, especially when it's an ongoing cost, and installing a anchor is a one time cost, which involves a little cement and a metal pole.

I've never found them to be a nuisance, in fact there is a good bonk on one at WP.

If someone hits that thing, who cares. Ski at your own risk. Besides it's the mountain who is liable not you, stop the fretting.

cool, makes sense in that they've got to get the cat there, which obviously takes someone to drive it. i was just unsure of the whole pole in the middle of the trail thing. never seen (or at least noticed) that anywhere else before. i guess the driver for the second cat could just be working on other hand grooming in the park while the cat is being used as an anchor, so not quite as much loss there as there would be for grooming regular trails. lets hope it gets cold soon so they can start using the thing!

• Like 1

Winch Cat! What a joke. I'm pretty sure a winch cat isn't going to help. They can't figure out how to groom so they don't create frozen golf balls every time they make snow. Now the guy has to groom and winch at the same time. Good luck with that. Why is it that trails at Blue are the WORST after they make fresh snow? Seems like it should be the other way around!

Edited by First Grade Teacher

Winch Cat! What a joke. I'm pretty sure a winch cat isn't going to help. They can't figure out how to groom so they don't create frozen golf balls every time they make snow. Now the guy has to groom and winch at the same time. Good luck with that. Why is it that trails at Blue are the WORST after they make fresh snow? Seems like it should be the other way around!

I'm thinking that using a winch, would by default, slow down the groomers, and that's probably at least half the problem.

Not going to be opening on Dec 4th with days still being 68 degrees "like today" and if it holds up the rest of the week is forcasted to be in the mid to upper 50's and even low 60's if it keeps up this way Blue won't open till the Second or maybe Third week of December, unless we get a serious cold snap in the next two weeks it's going to be a late start to our 09-10 Season. :angry:

what do you expect when highschool drop outs are turning on the guns

i could be wrong, but i thought the guns on razors, paradise, and the new ones on sidewinder were all computer controlled and modified the air/water mixture for optimal output based on the current temp/humidity. maybe not?