need help with a snowboard

JFskiDan

i managed to get my nieghbors up to the poconos, and on the snow. twice, last year. they have 2 sons now asking for ski/snowboard equipment for christmas. the skier i can handle, the other one snowboards, so i need figured i would tap into the wealth of knowledge around here for snowboard advice. of course, he wants his own snowboard. so, for a complete beginner, what size board should he be on? he is 5'6", and weighing in at about 110 lbs. Basically i think he would need something comparable to whats in the rental fleet.

i'm a big fan of used equipment for this purchase. is it crazy thinking i could score something on ebay for 50-75 bucks, that would be functional?

money is the object here, i would prefer they spent less on equipment and more on lift tickets.

Renting for the season is an option, i guess, but i think it boils down to him having his own equipment.

keep in mind i know nothing about snowboards, so feel free to give me and education.

The first year my son snowboarded, I got him a seasonal rental from JFBB. I believe most mountains offer this as well as our local ski shop. His rental was clip in bindings which are junk. They probably don't even make them anymore but stay away from them. You can also get seasonal boot rental. Just make sure he tries them on and they feel comfortable. The boots should fit snug and your heel should be secure at the bottom and not ride up. You should also be able to wiggle your toes. If possible get cable laced boots and not tie ones. Cables stay tight longer. The tie kind always seem to get loose faster.

That's just some basic stuff, I'm sure someone else can offer more info.

i managed to get my nieghbors up to the poconos, and on the snow. twice, last year. they have 2 sons now asking for ski/snowboard equipment for christmas. the skier i can handle, the other one snowboards, so i need figured i would tap into the wealth of knowledge around here for snowboard advice. of course, he wants his own snowboard. so, for a complete beginner, what size board should he be on? he is 5'6", and weighing in at about 110 lbs. Basically i think he would need something comparable to whats in the rental fleet.

i'm a big fan of used equipment for this purchase. is it crazy thinking i could score something on ebay for 50-75 bucks, that would be functional?

money is the object here, i would prefer they spent less on equipment and more on lift tickets.

Renting for the season is an option, i guess, but i think it boils down to him having his own equipment.

keep in mind i know nothing about snowboards, so feel free to give me and education.

What are their ages?

I would recommend renting based on height and weight. That is going to be like $120 I bet from a shop for the season. Buying stuff you out grow next year is just a losing proposition.

On the rentals, definitely do not get anything that is click in/step in/clicker/SI junk. Just don't. Also avoid Morrow/Liquid/m3 and some of the other crappy rental brands. Some brands that make rental gear that don't suck : Flow, Burton, Ride, K2, Salomon. Make sure you see the bindings and the board as well as the boots before you sign anything.

For boots, brand doesn't matter much but make sure they do something to make sure the heels aren't lifting when he punches his knees forward. If they just sit there and say "how does it feel" without having him do anything to look for heel lift I wouldn't trust the quality of the person fitting him very much.

If you are going to buy off ebay, stick to the brand recommendations above for kids gear. It isn't an inclusive list but I'd be warry of some of the crappy brands that sell kids gear.

he is 16. a little further into this and i am getting the impression this will be a new purchase. used gear for him just will not do.

At 16 I would be buying too. I was just guessing by the story he was 13 and still had growing to do. At this age he should be buying if he is serious.

Give me some more info and we'll point you in the right direction.