Colorado over easter break

paolo

Be prepared to ski park. The conditions are pretty decent, some days are softer than others. As far as snow...don't expect much. Even if there's a dump it'll be pretty tough to ski, the pow out here is really light and fluffy...and when that lays on top of crusty leftover crud you sink through the nice stuff and tend to get bitten by serious snowsnakes from the crud. Last season we had a foot in mid march, but it was pretty hard to ski even with my 114 waist skis. I caught a few times and ragdolled a bunch...not very fun. I'd skip copper and stick with breck and keystone...A51 is always dope and freeway/park lane is fun as shit as well late season. Plus if you get a multiple day lift you can use them at any vail resort, copper is owned by a different company. Usually breck has a good spring setup, keystone starts building their superpark around that time so they wind up closing a good part of the park for that....plus park crew's attention is on the superpark and not so much the condition of a51 as a whole, so shit gets rutted and they sometimes take a bunch of shit out.

It's not going to be the best conditions, but its sure gonna be better than PA in April, without a doubt.

I have skied some of my deepest days in April, and I believe April is generally one of our snowiest months, (I know March is the snowiest). The nice thing that Colorado has over other places is the elevation to keep the conditions good late into the season. 2 years ago, I skied a foot of blower on May 16th. Early April is also nice because you can pretty much count on everything being 100% open.

Some aspects do start to get effected by melt-freeze cycles starting in early April, but this is usually confined to south facing slopes at lower elevations. In April, you will have anything from corn (at lower, more southerly facing elevations) to chalky goodness at higher north facing aspects to blower pow if you're lucky (once again, yes, it does snow in April).

I may be bias, but I highly recommend if you get a nice bluebird day, come to Loveland and ski the ridge (and the steeps on chair 1). Although sometimes the wind does negatively effect certain aspects on the ridge at times, i have never experienced a negative impact on conditions from a spring melt freeze cycle, and I have skied it well into the month of May.

IMO, if I were you, unless you plan on skiing park a lot, I minimize my time at keystone (lower elevation, and not much snow) and breck (crowded). I don't know much about copper, as I have never skied there. I would try to spend more time at A Basin, which is sick in the spring (definitely hike the upper east wall if it's open, which it usually is around that time), and Loveland. This will also save you a lot of $$ in lift tickets. That said, if you are coming to ski park, definitely go with breck and key as they do have the best parks in colorado, and maybe in the nation.

Edited by jordan

I have been to Colorado for my past 3-4 spring breaks to ski. I usually go to Aspen/Snowmass. I find the conditions to be variable; but however the last few years Colorado has gotten a ton of snow in March/April. I also find the weather to be a little warmer so the conditions can be a little softer. Usually if they have a lot of snow most if not all of the trail are usually open that time of the year. That is one of my favorite times of the year to ski out there, the crowds are usually less and the conditions are awesome!