Simon Dumont

insomniac

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Snowbasin for the 2002 olympics they took fire hoses (probably similar to snowmaking hoses) and covered the trail with water. Insted of Utahs usual 10% water content in the snow it was about 65-70% water. Mmmm nice and fast

glenn, can u repeat that whole process again in simpler format? I totally got lost.

Ok, without all the math and physics lingo here a simple explanation of what happens. When the skier leaves the even ground, he will continue moving across as fast as he was going when he left the ground. So I found how long it would take for him to travel 200 feet across with his "across" speed being 80 mph. Once I knew this time, I figured out how far down you will fall in that amount of time. I then created a right triangle with these two distances being the two non-hypoteneous legs (the two short legs). Using trig I figured out what the angle of trianle, which is the pitch of the slope. If the slope has a greater pitch, the skier will fly further, if the slope has a milder pitch the skier will fly a shorter distance.

uhh, according to your equations however, he will ALWAYS fly 200 feet straight out at 80mph.  That won't change.  How far he DROPS, will, which relates to the angle of the slope.  But that one leg of the triangle will always be 200 feet.

No, at 80 mph, with a steep pitch, he will drop futher, but that will also give him more air time which equates to further in air travel.

What if theyre is a change in the pitch of the landing, and there is a 30ft high kicker right before the headwall. How many backflips could a person pull on that?

If there is a kicker than there is more hangtime. A 45 degree angle upwards provides the best distance, assuming you launch with the same speed. Of coarse you will loose speed when you head up the jump. As far as backflips that has way too many factors involved, such as the excection (how they actually move their body), body type, weight/length of skis, etc etc etc. However, in terms of freestyle sking/boarding hangtime is more important for spins/flips etc than distance. Sure its more insane to do a big spin off a long jump, but in terms of how far one can spin, or how many flips, how long the grab can be held etc etc etc, hangtime is the most important. Jumps provide much better hangtime at low speed.