Simon Dumont

insomniac

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he was getting pulled by a snowmobile at 50 miles an hour, i think that helps when you overshoot jumps by that much.

I'm not sure why that guy does'nt just go to the olympic park in Park City or Howlin Hill in Steamboat and just do big air there? I don't get it? Seems like he has a death wish or does he just like orthopaedic surgeons that much?

I heard Tanner just lost 2 heels in a similar stupid big air trick.

Maybe Ski999 has a better idea of how far they go in a Downhill race...But if you hit a jump at 80mph....

There is a big difference between hitting a booter at 50 and headwall at 80. No doubt in DH they go fair, but just the stucture of the slope and the way the get into the air is totally different. I'm guessing they aren't going more than 100' .... which is still really freakin nuts.

There is a big difference between hitting a booter at 50 and headwall at 80. No doubt in DH they go fair, but just the stucture of the slope and the way the get into the air is totally different. I'm guessing they aren't going more than 100' .... which is still really freakin nuts.

80+ mph off a drop off, they are flying well over 200 feet. Hitting a jump at 50 is probably scarier, but lauching straight out is just plain exhilerating. I love flying down Challenge @ Blue, tuck, and then just fly over falls as far as i can, dropping the hands behind the boots like a D$ and Bode do :)

Ok revision of previous statement Downhillers are definately getting 200 feet of distance when they come over headwalls. I figured this out with simple physics. Here is the work

Ok, from the picture you can see how I setup the problem. The Assumptions are as follows.

The skier is moving at 35.7632 m/s (80 mph)

The skier is on a PERFECTLY FLAT to PERFECTLY PITCHED head wall with a pitch of a. This is not very realistic, but you will find out later it doesn't really matter.

The skier needs to travel 60.96 m (200 feet) horizontally.

Now in free fall the only speed that is changing is his vertical speed, his horizontal speed remains at 35.7632 m/s (80 mph). I am neglegting wind resitance, but agian this shouldn't make a HUGE difference, and skiers are good at getting aero dynamic. The rate of his "fall" will be 9.81 m/s^2. This is the rate at which gravity pulls us down.

... so now some simple calculations

To find the time elapsed with a given speed and a given distance traveled time = distance/speed

t = 60.96 m / 35.7632 m/s = 1.704545 s

Now to find the distance (d) that one will fall in the time of 1.704545 s. To do this

1/2 * g (gravity) * t (time)^2

d = 1/2 * 8.81 m/s^2 * 1.704545 s = 14.25 m

To find the pitch simply use your trig skills. tan a = opposite over adjacent so ... inverse tanget (opposite/adjacent) = a

a = tan -1 (14.25 m / 60.96 m) = 13 degrees.

Now, a 13 degree pitch is not at all unresonable for a pitch on a world cup dh hill race, in fact I would imagine a 13 degree pitch is actually super mild in terms of world cup dh. This in mind, we can safely ignore the things I discussed above like wind resistance and the perfect flat to perfect pitched slope. So, unless someone find errors in my work, I think we can safely say, bode has aired for more at least 200 feet.