Grooming

skibum5100

Grade Camelback's Grooming  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the grooming at Camelback

its aight. the park has def. come a long way and was pretty nice when i was there but it seems like a lot of the diamonds that go straight down under the main highspeed quad are just straight ice. that could also be the snowmaking or even the weather but its been like that everytime ive been there.

its aight. the park has def. come a long way and was pretty nice when i was there but it seems like a lot of the diamonds that go straight down under the main highspeed quad are just straight ice. that could also be the snowmaking or even the weather but its been like that everytime ive been there.

The park is the only place they spend any time with the groomers.

Groomings been good so far this season I thought it was great pre holiday. It's hard to judge with the holiday crowds unless your first chair. The park has definitely come a long way, compared to the old laurel glade days it's a new world.

Anyways screw grooming the steeps just condition them with man made poe everyday.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

Groomings been good so far this season I thought it was great pre holiday. It's hard to judge with the holiday crowds unless your first chair. The park has definitely come a long way, compared to the old laurel glade days it's a new world.

Anyways screw grooming the steeps just condition them with man made poe everyday.

Is it cheaper to blow or groom ?

Only got in the park once last year and it was nice. If you think the grooming is good I would highly suggest that you hit Elk Mt. for a real comparison. I hit this place every day around first chair and unless they blow the blacks are usually scraped off within and hour or under. Today was sweet though since the mountain was pretty much not skied yesterday. Epic conditions on an 800 ft. vertical. in Eastern PA. Hmmmm. :rolleyes: Have fun skiing and boarding all.

Only got in the park once last year and it was nice. If you think the grooming is good I would highly suggest that you hit Elk Mt. for a real comparison. I hit this place every day around first chair and unless they blow the blacks are usually scraped off within and hour or under. Today was sweet though since the mountain was pretty much not skied yesterday. Epic conditions on an 800 ft. vertical. in Eastern PA. Hmmmm. :rolleyes: Have fun skiing and boarding all.

I've been to Elk. I do enjoy it there just a bit far for me. :) I'm a CB passholder.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

I cant comment for this season, but for the past 6 years I think CB has been pretty decent with the grooming, probably second only to JF in PA. If you get there after 10am on a weekend then it really doesn't matter how they groomed it, it's going to be rough. Bottom line, they do a decent job with what they have, and what they have to recover from due to weather and traffic. Blue could certainly take a few tips from them.

I cant comment for this season, but for the past 6 years I think CB has been pretty decent with the grooming, probably second only to JF in PA. If you get there after 10am on a weekend then it really doesn't matter how they groomed it, it's going to be rough. Bottom line, they do a decent job with what they have, and what they have to recover from due to weather and traffic. Blue could certainly take a few tips from them.

Have you ever been to Elk Mt ?

Have you ever been to Elk Mt ?

Only once and it was pretty ropey (conditions wise), not fair to make comparisons as we only went there looking for better conditions because the weather had been bad and it's further north so most places would most likely have been as bad or worse.

Are they generally better at grooming? Given the general low rent vibe of the place I wouldn't imagine they would invest too much in this compared to letting the "real skiers" get some bumps.

Only once and it was pretty ropey (conditions wise), not fair to make comparisons as we only went there looking for better conditions because the weather had been bad and it's further north so most places would most likely have been as bad or worse.

Are they generally better at grooming? Given the general low rent vibe of the place I wouldn't imagine they would invest too much in this compared to letting the "real skiers" get some bumps.

I go a few time a year 1/2 day mostly mornings, the groomers are great and they blow snow on the bumps

Used to ski Elk alot during the 80's and early 90's. I remember good condtions and grooming. They used to let the one slope adjacant to the lift bump up and these bumps weren't C-cup, they were definetly VW bug size.

I'm a huge Elk groupie, so my opinion is slightly biased, but in the last 5 years I think they have won ski magazine best snow award for conditions and grooming 4 times... Maybe only 3, but thats still impressive... I have only ever had one really bad day at Elk and that was after a Nor' Easter (rain and 65 degrees on the front side, flurries and 25 on the flip side). Most of the time there are so few people that there are still groomer lines left by then end of the day, and they routinely blow snow through Mid-March, especially on the moguls where they blow snow almost every night... I can't imagine you'll find better grooming in NEPA... Good luck to all you haters...

So I'm sorry I missed Doug's crack at me earlier. My experience at CB is that the whole mountain is usually great other than the faces on hump and rocket which are usually just hardpack, not ice, and the other spot is on the blue that cuts across the top of the mountain toward pharaoh's side of the hill. The last spot can be a little dangerous due to the noobs that travel it, but as far as the blacks, if you're afraid of some hardpack and you can't ski it or get an edge in it you have no business being on it. It all goes back to knowing yourself and not being a tool.

The winds recently have been blowing a good amount of snow off some of the trails, which has been exposing the hardpack in some areas and a bit of ice here and there but mainly on traversing areas. I've been up there this past weekend, monday, and weds. The best day there by far was monday because the winds were minimal. Of course, watching people pizza wedge it down the faces of the diamonds doesn't help the cause either.