Thurs/Fri (2/25 & 2/26)

im rick james

Everyone knows I like to ..err bitch about Camelback closing lifts in marginal weather. They won't close the mountain down completely, but if a couple people sneeze too hard, CB may shut down their highspeed lifts due to wind and blowing debris. :lol:

The main factor they say are winds, but we all know that if attendance is low they will shut them down just to save $. It's a crapshoot...you feelin' lucky?

For the record, I haven't been on a high speed lift in 20 days of skiing this year... and I haven't enjoyed any of my skiing any less. If Camelback is getting a lot of snow why would you NOT want to go there? Asp is the sweet spot on those rare powder days.

One thing is for sure that it looks like it will be really windy either way and that spells bad news for you if you are thinking of using the main lifts at CB. Sure they'll have the fixed grip lift(s) open, but they're incredibly old and slowwwwwww. I would head to Blue as others have mentioned.

Camelback is supposed to get a snowstorm??? Well if the high speeds

aren't running just go to Blue where they always

run.

Accuweather still keeps insisting 12" for NEPA but I doubt it. Most likely 2-4 tonight and some flurries until friday but who knows maybe a dump.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

The 12 inches they are predicting is for Thursday/Friday when a humdinger of a storm is gonna slam into Jersey and could produce near hurricane force winds. Even Blue might have lift closures.

Ya I just seen that on accuweather "paralyzing storm thurs-fr", I hope the wind stays down here for thurs-fri.

On topic, expect the quads to close if it's windy or if there is any mixed precipitation. Expect the mountian to close if it's extremely windy and trees are falling.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

The only real disadvantage you have to the quads closing is that you cant get to Nile Mile,Cliffhanger, and Pharaoh without doing some type of hiking. Otherwise the slow lifts get the job done (as long as its a weekday because we all know what weekends bring).

I wouldn't get too jacked up about riding/skiing under these conditions. I was at Liberty for the Feb 6th storm; the possibility of road/lift/resort closures kept me up the night before. Once there, the 2-3 hrs of powder riding was great, but by noon, every trail turned into a mogul field. If you're < 30 min from a mtn, perhaps it's worth the attempt. Snow's great; it's the wind that blows.

Wait, you mean when you powder ski and its ungroomed bumps form? And you have to ski small bumps??? OH NO!!!!!! What did they ever do before they had groomers???? :banghead

Haha... legit powder skiing out here... schweeeeet. Icy bumps suck... but those nice soft powdery bumps are a wicked time. :rock

I think another large concern will be power outages which could shut down lifts and ski resorts. The heavy wet snow combined with strong winds is gonna take down trees which will take down power lines..

Wow.. it took you nearly 24 hrs to get the gist of my post. Good to know that us "unreal" skiers/boarders were going INTO the storm, as you were probably at home desperately, pathetically gunning for that 25Kth post. As an avid boarder (and former skier), I must reiterate that 2-3 hrs of moguls is enough for me. We boarders prefer carving and aggressive free-riding. But after hitting moguls for 6+ hrs on Feb 6th, I defaulted to my fellow skiers. And without a doubt, seeing a full-on rock star, skier slam some moguls is quite a sight. As you said earler, "The 12 inches they are predicting is for Thursday/Friday when a humdinger of a storm is gonna slam into Jersey and could produce near hurricane force winds. Even Blue might have lift closures." I didn't say, "DON"T GO"; I suggested corraling the enthusiasm. I guess that nuance is lost in the Valley.

• Like 1

camelback closing at 4pm because of adverse road conditions

Brutal.

Aren't bad road conditions expected at a god damn mountain resort

I'm glad that give us a heads up. It wouldn't be much fun to torture your way through the storm to finally get there and have them close the mountain on you without any warning.

Of course camelback is going to have worse road conditions than blue. Camelback is located at a much higher elevation. Winds and other weather factors will be much stronger. That is an undeniable fact of nature. Take that into effect along with the fact that cback is 25 miles north of blue... and well you can make a pretty damn good case for the more brutal conditions at CB. For the record- Blue's base sits at about 475 feet above sea level. CB's base sits at about 1200 feet above sea level. Big difference. I also think that CB draws more people from NYC and the wealthier sections of NJ than Blue does. (this is beyond me, but its just the vibe I take from the mtn) Probably has something to do with the "resort" feel of CB as opposed to the "ski area" feel of Blue. Ok, rant over.

I also think that CB draws more people from NYC and the wealthier sections of NJ than Blue does. (this is beyond me, but its just the vibe I take from the mtn) Probably has something to do with the "resort" feel of CB as opposed to the "ski area" feel of Blue. Ok, rant over.

I think a lot of that has to do with location. Cback is right off of 80 which goes directly to new york and the mountain is only 10 minutes from Jersey. Blue draws more Philly people because its right off of the turnpike.

Well Blue is right off of 78... which also runs into NYC... but the one thing I will say about blue is that it has more of an attraction to those who just want to ski and do nothing else. CB has the various properties, houses and resort-like attractions that those with "refined tastes" (I put that in quotes for a reason) tend to seek. Fact of the matter- a lot of real weens end up at CB, so I'm sure they close down quicker as to avoid lawsuits from those who aren't quite as ski-minded as those who go to Blue.

LOL... yeah, I've kind of gone away from the whole "resort" feel at my home mountain. That's why I'm skiing mostly small (cheap) mountains with awesome employees that I know by name. Plus, with all my boot problems skiing larger mountains is really tough. The best day I will ever have skiing will be the first day I get to ski new boots next year.