Elk Locals Inside Info?

Ride Delaware ?

Any Elk locals have any inside info on a closing date? I remember 3-4 years ago they closed the first weekend in April, but since then they have been closing the 3rd weekend in March... May have gotten one in one year until the last weekend... This would help me out... Sure it is more expensive than CB, but if I am going to get some uncrowded boarding in on a weekend in March, I want it to be the best it can... Holla back at me...

I am not an insider but Elk really never goes into April at all anymore! They usually shut down after the 3rd or 4th weekend in March. The sad part is they run out of skiers, and have plenty of base left. Perhaps there is a small chance of going into April if the skier count is up... but if they see no one coming on weekdays late in the season they pull the plug.

The reason they were open into the 1st week of April, 4 years ago was because some filthy rich business owner who has connections (I think he owns several Chevy dealerships in PA)arranged to have a special event put on for junior US Ski team members with Ted Liggety who had just won a Gold Medal in the 2006 Olympics. The event was slalom races.

Elk's Spring Carnival is the weekend of the 20th, we're guessing the last day of the season is going to be the following Sat 27th. Nothing official has been announced yet, and maybe we'll get lucky and they'll go an extra week. With Easter early this year, I can't see them going past April 3rd.

• 2 weeks later...

Website says night skiing through 3/19 and day skiing through 3/27... They don't typically call it quits on a Saturday do they?

Yes they do . They have the end of year employee party on Sunday. Announce employee of the year, eat up the perishible leftovers, and empty the open kegs (why waste it), etc. One lift is open until around noon, and management and suupervisors man the lifts, kitchens, and bar.

By mid afternoon, the party usually adjorns to Chet's.......

• 5 months later...

Do we have any further information on what the "improvements" will be this year? Since they flat out refuse to bring their website into the 21st century and don't update the one they have, I usually don't hear what the improvements are... However, I know that the season pass holders get an update/advertisement brochure every year that lists the improvements... Has anyone gotten this yet?

Do we have any further information on what the "improvements" will be this year? Since they flat out refuse to bring their website into the 21st century and don't update the one they have, I usually don't hear what the improvements are... However, I know that the season pass holders get an update/advertisement brochure every year that lists the improvements... Has anyone gotten this yet?

I didn't get my letter yet. It usually comes out mid Sept., just before the Octoberfest wknd. I didn't hear of any improvements either. I'll post when letter is received.