OEC Certification

Ride Delaware ?

Although I live in DE, my family is exploring the option of purchasing a condo somewhere up north in the next couple years. I would probably be able to vacation a couple weeks at a time a couple times a year and would really like to volunteer for a ski patrol. I know we had several ski patrollers on the board here, and I was hoping I could get some input as to how the process goes. I know you have to take the class 80-100 hours, and a 3 part refresher, one part every year, but past that, I'm kinda lost. I have heard it is similar to EMT in that you must be registered with a ski patrol for your cert, but that could be any ski patrol. Then you transfer it? Pay dues to National Ski Patrol? If anyone could clarify this for me, I would really appreciate it...

Although I live in DE, my family is exploring the option of purchasing a condo somewhere up north in the next couple years. I would probably be able to vacation a couple weeks at a time a couple times a year and would really like to volunteer for a ski patrol. I know we had several ski patrollers on the board here, and I was hoping I could get some input as to how the process goes. I know you have to take the class 80-100 hours, and a 3 part refresher, one part every year, but past that, I'm kinda lost. I have heard it is similar to EMT in that you must be registered with a ski patrol for your cert, but that could be any ski patrol. Then you transfer it? Pay dues to National Ski Patrol? If anyone could clarify this for me, I would really appreciate it...

Don't do it if you want to be skiing. First, anyplace you'd want to actually work they are just going to throw you on park duty since your a noob. Second, its alot of work and not alot of skiing. Personally I don't like the idea of setting up bamboo while its waist deep.

You ask a lot of questions and I'll try to break them out as best I can.

The OEC class I took ran from the end of August until the start of October. Met a couple times a week then a test at the end. After the test every area handles your progression differently. At some you are a full patroller, others you have to shadow for a season and still others have additional classes. Generally all areas will give you additional training on how to handle injuries in the snow. Back-boarding is very different on flat ground vs a black diamond. OEC is basically teach the EMT program, without car accident extraction and hospital interaction, but you add wilderness management. You can take OEC anywhere, but mountains like for you to take it where you are going to patrol. If you have OEC and then come to another patrol you will likely have to demonstrate skills ect. / take the candidate class before becoming a patroller. E.g. if lived in Delaware, but were joining a patrol 2-3 hours north. I would tell you take it close to home liberty/roundtop. But talk to the patrol director where you want to patrol.

Generally you will be affiliated with one patrol e.g. Blue mountain, camelback, Sno ect. You will be a member of that patrol first and NSP second. You have to pay dues to national ski patrol and your mountain dues. 75 a year total I think. However, you can't just join one patrol then patrol where ever you want. Every mountain has their own protocols and candidate programs.

The big issue you will have is that most mountains want you to also work nights. Where I patrol over the course of the season you are free to choose what weekend days you work, but you must have an assigned weeknight. The exception is if your night is sat or sun. Then you come in at noon and work until ten. That satisfies your weekend and weeknight credits. I know other mountains assign you certain weekends e.g. you work both days every third Saturday & Sunday.

I disagree with Johnny about the lack of skiing. You will have plenty of time to ski once you are a full patroller. I also doubt you will get stuck in the park b/c people get really hurt there and you need someone experienced.

Bottomline, patrol is a lot of fun and if you have the time get the certifications you will really enjoy it.

If you let us know what areas you are looking at might be able to give you some more insight.