Job Fair

Switchsideskier.

They really only pay $5.30 an hour? I guess for seasonal work they can get by paying less than minumum wage which I think is like $8

edit....it's $7.25 in PA...when I was a teenager it was $4.25..I remember making $5 an hour at Wendys and was Ballin.. :rofl

Ya since it's considered "recreational establishment" they are exempt from the normal minimum wage. I worked @ Blue for 4 years in high school , and came back part of last year and Was making $5.90 lol

Edited by Switchsideskier.
  • Like 1

good for you..you must have had some decent raises over the years to get up to almost six bones an hour..how can the liftees afford cigarettes and iced tea??

HAHAHA I love all your comments man, if I'm having a bad day all I have to do is go on here and read your responses hahaa...

But ya, I personally don't know how some of the people actually work there for their main source of income, I personally worked there only for my season pass and that was it lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

how do you think they pay for employee benifits? any higher and they could do a 401k plan for everyone.

lol

Wait... this isnt a joke? They are only paid $5.25 an hour? This explains EVERYTHING!

Does Ski Patrol get paid? Do they break $7 an hour?

Ski Patrol is volunteer except for a few people, about 95% volunteer

HOORAY!!Now I can finally talk to someone that matters..... Denise is never in her damn office..... Doing "security" i was making 6.25. Lifties are one of the lesser paid. Housekeeping makes over 7 an hour but you have to clean up shit... literally. Besides Management/Supervisor Housekeeping I think is the higest paid.

But honestly anyone that works there for the money has a few loose screws rolleyes.gif and there were a few..... alot that actually never skiied or boarded a day in their lives..... They are there for the money icon_smile_screwy.gif

Edited by Nidecker25

What happened to the security dude with the Chrysler 300m who always wore swear pants???? He's my dawg. $7 an hour...$35k car....the logistics are impressive.

300M are junk pre 2000 to 2004. You can pick one up in the range of $8,000 Now if you are talking about the 300C, that's a different story.... But they aren't even going to break 35k unless you buy the Hemi or SRT8 Model. But back to the subject i've never heard abour nor seen anyone your talking about....... Oh wait now that I think about it some more I do remember seeing a 300M beige in color if I remember clearly always parked in the upper employee lot all the time. I don't know who drives it though.

Wow. What a joke. JFBB pays all employees at least minimum wage. Lift operators get paid $8/hr. The only exception JFBB uses is that they don't have to pay overtime which actually allows the employees to make more money. Instead of cutting them off at 40 hours to avoid paying overtime, the employees are allowed to work as many hours as they want during the ski season. A good number of smart, hard working people put in 50-60 hours a week and take home a fat check. Anyone reading this board that works a lift at Blue for $5.50/hr.....you are getting ripped off. Working a lift can often suck donkey balls. At least go somewhere that pays a decent wage.

that's the norm for a seasonal business like Blue or Dorney park..

People who work there for such low wages are foolish imho. If you work at a ski resort for 10 hours per week just to get a season pass, then that makes sense to me. A large number of people take these seasonal jobs as their main source of income at the time or as a supplement to their normal income. I can't imagine working at Blue or any other ski area for $5.50/hr when you could go to any gas station or fast food place and make at least $7.25/hr. Some places pay more. Why people, why?!?!

but isn't the environment of working at a ski area better than a gas station or fast food place. Are people actually paying billz and rent off money they make at Blue?

Not if they only get paid $5.50/hr! Working at a ski area is just like any other job. I think it's short sighted to assume that the work environment is better than a fast food place or a gas station. That's most likely a 'To each his own' kinda thing. Just cause you like to ski doesn't mean that working there would be awesome.

After doing some research I've come to the conclusion that if Blue is paying less than $7.25/hr at this point in time, then they are violating the law. Loopholes are closed and the law requires them to pay at least $7.25/hr. The only exception is they do not have to pay overtime after 40 hours.

• 1 month later...

Wow. What a joke. JFBB pays all employees at least minimum wage. Lift operators get paid $8/hr. The only exception JFBB uses is that they don't have to pay overtime which actually allows the employees to make more money. Instead of cutting them off at 40 hours to avoid paying overtime, the employees are allowed to work as many hours as they want during the ski season. A good number of smart, hard working people put in 50-60 hours a week and take home a fat check. Anyone reading this board that works a lift at Blue for $5.50/hr.....you are getting ripped off. Working a lift can often suck donkey balls. At least go somewhere that pays a decent wage.

Ya when I worked at Boulder in high school it was actually worth working there, got a nice paycheck, nice swag and got to ride a lot.