hows salomans foam core

there is a lot of debate about the foam not holding up (loosing its spring), nothing proven that I have read since there doesn't seem to be widely available machines or standards to measure flex.

I snapped a wore out set of skis right about at the time I was thing they were wore out in moguls out west. they were a straight pair of K-2 with some type of foam inside that probably had 50 days on them -- but then that was 15 years ago.. :lol:

I have a pair of crossmax 10s, that are fun to ski on, but get really shaky at speeds, I have also skied there race skis which are really fun for free skiing, just not it for me in the gates.

How much does it matter foam/wood (aside from foam is lighter) in a park ski?

A ton.

I suppose I should be more specific. It all really depends on what you prefer. I myself have never ridden foam core Salomons, so I'm just going on the stuff I've heard. A major complaint is just the overall durability. They turn into noodles, and you don't even have to beat on them. Once they're noodles, they have very little pop, and thats a disadvantage. I suppose they would be fun to press and butter on though. I've heard they chatter at high speeds as well. Justin would be better at answering this. I dont think theres many other foam core park skis out there. Most are wood. It matters probably as much as outside the park, if not more. I didn't really say anything in this post, but beleive me, it's a big deal. Justin?

Edited by insomniac

My sister really likes her Salomon 1080's and she has probably put about 50 days on them. Granted she hasn't been hitting rails and boxes until like the last 10 times out, so I don't know how much that affects it. So far so good though.

man i wish i was a freeskiing girl, you can get sponsored so easily. good for her though that she actually freeskis, i didnt see one girl this year. but maybe with all of the girl specific twin tips coming out next year there will be more.

Yeah I hope so. She got pretty good this year and was landing some pretty big 360s and doing small boxes and stuff. She's hoping to improve next year and maybe enter some comps. Hopefully she can get sponsored in two years or so. That'd be really cool.

if you arent a light guy (or girl) stay away from a foam core ski unless you know what your getting into. personally, i would get another pair of 1080s, because i am used to how much flex they have after the core gets killed, and i like it on that ski. mine got soft aftter about a month of skiing on them, about 20 days or so. they are awesome for butters as craige said, but they still ski decent all mtn as long as you have edges. its more of a longitudinal flex thing than a torsional flex that happens when you kill your core. if you are light, the ski wont die as quick, which is why 1080s work out really well for girls generally.