Elk - Winterfest - Demo's Fri. 1/6/12

Rambo

Made it to Elk's Demo day for the 3rd yr. in a row. Picked up the $25. voucher the day before at the Cliff House ski shop in Vestal, NY. Conditions early were great... everything groomed to perfection. Later in the day there were piles of soft snow and patches of rock hard ice in between. The slalom trail had just been hammered by snowmaking and it was groomed out with a zillion small "Death Cookies"

The 6 skis i demoed and opinions:

1. Line Prophet 98 (172 cm) - Wide ski, Floats and carves well. Turns quick and very nimble, 172 just long enough to be able to control speed on icy steeps. Love the 172!!!

2. Line Prophet 98 (179 cm) - I found it too long - not as quick edge to edge as the 172. The 179 felt like a Mack dump truck and the 172 felt like a high performance nimble sports car.

3. Kastle MX88 (168 cm) - Easy turning, smooth, fast, stable... really liked.

4. Kastle FX94 (166 cm) stable at 166 cm. smooth - handled frozen death cookies well... but preferred the Kastle MX88.

5. Atomic (Nomad) Crimson Ti (171 cm) - OH CRAP - I have demoed this model in the past and really liked it... BUT they put some ROCKER into it and it does not dig in and turn as quick as the older non-rocker models! Ski seems quite heavy.

6. Salomon BBR 8.9 (176 cm) - Great flotation, soft wide tip, easy to turn, stable, stiffer tail, full wood core, carves ice well... not sure how it would have handled the frozen death cookies.

Here is a link with some pic's from cornhead on NYskiblog:

http://forum.nyskibl...26008445834-155