Boot, Binding and Ski Advice

paolo

I am looking for a ski that I can ski park with but if the conditions turn out to be good I can have fun outside the park. I weigh 145 lbs and am 5'9." Someone has some Fischer Misfit 177s on craigslist for a good price. Are these good skis? I will be doing most of my skiing at Whistler

I recently bought a pair of dalbello krypton boots off of ebay. They are brand new, but having used them I noticed significant up and down movement in my marker griffons, and a bit in my 4 year old px12 bindings. Could it be that the boots I bought are defective (in that the toe piece is too thin), or is it the bindings?

let me address the boot issue first. it could be either, but since it's happening on two sets of bindings, it's most likely the boot. take them in to a shop to have them check it out. there's a tool that they should have to make sure the heel and toe still fall within DIN spec. if they're still within spec, the boot is fine. earlier generation marker royal series bindings sometimes had issues with toe height on dalbello kryptons and full tilts, so you may have one of the earlier bindings. as for play in the px, make sure the forward pressure is correct. there's no toe height adjustment on that binding.

for skis... you're in whistler. it shits snow there. do you have another set of skis, or is this going to be the only pair? if you have another pair, what are they? ideally, you'd have two skis: a park ski, and a pow ski. if you can't have both, i'd recommend getting something at least 90mm in the waist, but probably wider. look into the k2 kung fujas, line blend, ON3P jeronimo or jeffrey. the k2 and line are on the softer side, and the ON3Ps are on the stiffer side of the spectrum, but any of those would kill it in the park or out, and are all slightly rockered as well.

Yeah I already have some jjs and megawatts. Sometimes Ill show up on a "park" day and there is pow everywhere so it would be nice to do what you said with the wider park skis. Thats why I was thinking about the misfits because I am broke and they are on craigslist for cheap. I guess Ill bring the boots to a shop. Thanks for your help

i don't really know much about the misfit itself, but the addict was stupid stiff and i absolutely hated it as a park ski, but i tend to like softer park skis. i have next year's ON3P jeffrey, which i love as an all mountain ski, but it's a bit stiff for my liking as a park ski.

This was a known issue with the first Royal release, essentially older bindings would work with a range of DIN block heights but Marker in the first year of the Royal didn't realize their new design wouldn't work with Dabello and Full Tilt boots as they run considerably thinner blocks that the rest of the market.

The Krypton has the thinnest DIN blocks on the market if I remember right and Marker revised the toe/wing parts for the next release.

You'll get far less in a Look/Rossi because the design cares alot less about worn lugs.

You can do two things, one replace the soles on your boots. Some boots have removable toe and heal blocks so you can swap worn lugs but that may not fix the problem. I do know of people who shimmed the binding but that can be bad if you don't know what your doing.

I would find the Marker shop number, the real fucking deal and they can hook you up with a much thicker afd that was produced specifically to fix this problem.

I know you laughing about calling them but it really works. I bought old P14's from a dude on TGR before they remade the FKS and they were OG first year P14's were you had to push down on the brake/lifter assembly to release the brake.

I was missing a brake and the first year variant can only except brakes from that production run. Fuck I think I'm out 100$ but a dude on TGR horded half moon's for the true turntables(FKS/p18) and knew this guy in rossi's facility in Ogden. He said call him and he'll hook you up. I'm thinking total bs but sure enough they transfer me to him and he says send them in and I'll bend the new brakes to 115 and pin the brakes in. Two weeks later I'm mounting the bindings with zero dollars out of my pocket.

Then I wouldn't buy a shitty Marker product ever again...LOL now I'm just being a dick...seriously call them and they will help you out or if you are good friends with a shop guy who knows a rep that could get you the new AFD much faster. Can't be a new rep, only an OG rep that does alot of business because they are the ones that know who can get you what you need from the U.S. warehouse.

Edited by Johnny Law

This was a known issue with the first Royal release, essentially older bindings would work with a range of DIN block heights but Marker in the first year of the Royal didn't realize their new design wouldn't work with Dabello and Full Tilt boots as they run considerably thinner blocks that the rest of the market. The Krypton has the thinnest DIN blocks on the market if I remember right and Marker revised the toe/wing parts for the next release. You'll get far less in a Look/Rossi because the design cares alot less about worn lugs. You can do two things, one replace the soles on your boots. Some boots have removable toe and heal blocks so you can swap worn lugs but that may not fix the problem. I do know of people who shimmed the binding but that can be bad if you don't know what your doing. I would find the Marker shop number, the real fucking deal and they can hook you up with a much thicker afd that was produced specifically to fix this problem. I know you laughing about calling them but it really works. I bought old P14's from a dude on TGR before they remade the FKS and they were OG first year P14's were you had to push down on the brake/lifter assembly to release the brake. I was missing a brake and the first year variant can only except brakes from that production run. Fuck I think I'm out 100$ but a dude on TGR horded half moon's for the true turntables(FKS/p18) and knew this guy in rossi's facility in Ogden. He said call him and he'll hook you up. I'm thinking total bs but sure enough they transfer me to him and he says send them in and I'll bend the new brakes to 115 and pin the brakes in. Two weeks later I'm mounting the bindings with zero dollars out of my pocket. Then I wouldn't buy a shitty Marker product ever again...LOL now I'm just being a dick...seriously call them and they will help you out or if you are good friends with a shop guy who knows a rep that could get you the new AFD much faster. Can't be a new rep, only an OG rep that does alot of business because they are the ones that know who can get you what you need from the U.S. warehouse.

kryptons only have replaceable heel lugs, so you'd have to go the AFD/binding shim route. aka go into a shop, this isn't something you can take care of yourself.

Thanks for your help. I went to a bunch of different shops and they all said my boots were good (they are practically brand new after all). So I am thinking it is just that my px12s are worn out and I am going to have to bring my griffons into a shop to deal with the AFD issue.. I bought those fischer misfits with bindings for $180. and they seem like theyll work for me.