TR: Stowe MLK Day

Freeski919

After a painfully cold weekend of working at the mountain, I showed up to work on MLK day. Not enough students meant that I got to get out on the mountain to free ski. Cold at the start, but ended up being fairly nice. Wicked bluebird skies, tons of sun, and no wind. Oh, and the time has arrived to do some real skiing. Snow was really nice, not much ice, the natural hit we got last week is helping a lot. And since we got about a foot and a half of fresh snow, it meant it was time to get off the trails and into the woods. Not many fresh tracks to be found, but it's good to be in the woods again.

2012-01-16_10-37-55_HDR.jpg

My trusty ski pole depth gauge in the woods. Ideal is between the Leki logos, but I'll take it.

2012-01-16_10-26-16_HDR.jpg

Despite appearances, this isn't a trail. This is a streambed in an undisclosed location on Mount Mansfield. Looking down a sweet little stretch with two drops.

2012-01-16_10-29-04_HDR.jpg

Looking back up the same piece of hill after shredding that gnar.

It's not any kind of secret...after you come ski the first pitch of ChinClip you can go right on switchback back to Gondolier and Perry Merrill or continue on Chin Clip. Continue on chin clip and right as the pitch steepens hug the right side of the trail and follow tracks and the Riverbed is only a few yards in. It runs all the way to the runout of Chin Clip....

I don't know if it's unmarked or not, but all unmarked woods lines should be kept secret lol

Since I am no longer a Stowe regular I freely give all the stashes I know to people on the Internet and the riverbed is not a stash. It gets tracked out in 20 minutes.

we're heading up to stowe in a few weeks. i'd love to find out about more hidden gems ;)