Camelback Rangers

Papasteeze

I haven't figured out why the teenagers have so many horror stories about being hassled when the rangers never seem to be around when we need them. :confused Maybe they just need to be redistributed.

1. Targeting nimrods that crash into others, especially little kids

2. Targeting people on trails where they clearly don't belong

3. Keeping the herds from coalescing in front of the exit area off the top of lifts

4. Keeping the "bowling pin" herds from grouping at the bottom of runs

5. Keeping the recreational skiers from crossing through the race course

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'd like to see avoided in the park is the currently common situation observable on the Front Four: Rangers, in a group, standing on a main part of the trail picking people off for borderline Responsibility Code violations because they want some "Contacts".

29271[/snapback]

this will never happen the rangers enjoy riding and talking to one another they dont enjoy riding "through" the terrain parks because their is nothing for a downhill skier to do their. soo you realy dont have to worrie about the parks becoming the new "spot" for rangers to hang.

2. to better help police the park - from and for the obvious etiquette things

Obvious etiquette things.. I repeat...... I like to think I know a whole lot about the obvious - If I take job like a rangers job at CB - based on alot of these comments, I will only focus on the obvious.... for what it is worth.

I think what ben fears is not in fact you Rob, its the slippery slope concept. If you do well with the park, others will follow, others who are less disciminating in there "targets" for ticketing. I'm not sure what I think on the subject. The park has issues just like the rest of the mountain, dare I say many more issues than the rest of the mountain. It would be nice to see the park crew take care of the issue but I don't see that happening any time soon. I don't feel comfortable with rangers around, just like I don't feel comfortable driving with cops around. I'm a decent driver and a decent snowboarder, I can take care of myself in both those situations, but we all make mistakes and I always get on nerve when THEY are watching for one.

It's a tough call, I think I would rather deal with rangers though were I can nagotiate and complain to boss when I feel I have been unfairly treated than deal with kids cutting me off, running into me, sitting in landings etc. I'm sure others will disagree.

I know what you are saying... Funny, this weekend, I had friends over at my house. When they got there I was out front with my back against the hummer talking to a cop who was well in side that comfort zone. I could tell they didn't want to stop, were afraid to make eye contact, etc etc. The funny thing is, I have watched all these guys "grow up" and now they are drinking and fishing buddies. they are all people too... some just live the "life" from the wrong angle .. IMO

I don't mind cops when I am on foot. What do I have to hide... I rutinely get in conversations with them, most are great guys. I just hate when I see them on the road. I don't mind riding the lift with the rangers either, but I can't stand seeing them stopped on trails waiting for me to do something wrong. I've yet to be ticket by the rangers though, they are gonna get an earful if they ever try... unless of coarse I'm WAY out of line.

It's a tough call, I think I would rather deal with rangers though were I can nagotiate and complain to boss when I feel I have been unfairly treated than deal with kids cutting me off, running into me, sitting in landings etc.

I'd agree with you ideally, but I have this reservation with your position: In the case of certain Rangers, you're desire to negotiate would be given absolutely no value. If you're young, you'd be devalued even more (if that were possible). You'd be overpowered by a person who would think that his position is the right one simply by virtue of his having a yellow jacket and a red marker to ski around with.

It is NOT that a Ranger is made just and right because he's in a position of authority; on the contrary, he should be in the position of authority because he's seen as a person who is just and right. Some of the Rangers, unfortunately, seem to believe the first proposition above all else - especially when it comes to policing kids (because they CAN have a more unrestricted power over them).

Just last season (and this is off the top of my head), I've seen:

1) a 10-12 year old girl get called an "idiot" in front of her mother by a Ranger (yelling fervently at the top of his lungs) guarding our accident scene who thought she skied too closely to him. She didn't. I saw it.

2) a 20 year old (or so), as I mentioned in a previous post, get stopped for not turning his head up trail when he was going from one side to the other. He was on the same trail the entire time (not merging into another) and maintained situational awareness the entire time. I saw him.

3) a man in his 30s get stopped for putting ONE SKI on the 'wall' on the skiers right of Julius Caesar. The other ski was still on the groomed part of the trail. He was given merely a verbal warning, but this was considered by the Ranger to be an off-trail violation.

It's this behavior - both towards kids and towards adults - that I'm afraid of seeing spread, and this behavior that I object to the most.

Again ben, great points. I still think the fact that they have supervisors and some level of accountability if you really pushed the issue you'd be better off. I'll take a warning or even a lost ticket for the day, and a shouting match with some power fiending ranger than an injury from a moron out of control that takes me out for 3 days or more. Just a thought...

Again ben, great points. I still think the fact that they have supervisors and some level of accountability if you really pushed the issue you'd be better off. I'll take a warning or even a lost ticket for the day, and a shouting match with some power fiending ranger than an injury from a moron out of control that takes me out for 3 days or more. Just a thought...

A good argument. As long as somebody is able, ultimately, to rectify the errant Ranger's misuse of his authority through the chain of command or in some other way, I'll support your perspective. I just hate to see the Ranger act in this way in the first place.

I just hate to see the Ranger act in this way in the first place.

29361[/snapback]

I think we all do, which is why would be nice to see rob step up to the position as he would be yet another one of the rangers doing the job PROPERLY.

I think we all do, which is why would be nice to see rob step up to the position as he would be yet another one of the rangers doing the job PROPERLY.

29362[/snapback]

also if Rob does do a nice job then perhaps the other rangers will be able to learn by example. :blink:

Edited by dthmtluncrn

So having listened to all of this Rob, are you sure that's what you want to do??? It can be a pretty rough crowd here, even if you do what's right. Unfortunetly, you'll be guilty by association.

PAX

It is still a thought I am toying with. I'll be talking with them after Camelbeach closes.. I have watched the trend of the terrain parks and with that, I think I can guage where it is going. My kid has a lot of fun there and even the racer is encouraged by watching a junior canadian ski team training video that showed their racer encouraged to go into the park. Parks are my focus.

Actually, it's not bad. I've spent time in the parks trying to do the right thing and I know some of the kids appreciated the effort. Heck, I enjoy watching them do their thing and am kind of envious of their athletic ability. Wish I could do stuff like that. I'm kind of lucky in as much I'm normally not there on weekends when it can be a real zoo.

PAX

Actually, it's not bad. I've spent time in the parks trying to do the right thing and I know some of the kids appreciated the effort.  Heck, I enjoy watching them do their thing and am kind of envious of their athletic ability. Wish I could do stuff like that. I'm kind of lucky in as much I'm normally not there on weekends when it can be a real zoo.

PAX

29390[/snapback]

By your message I assume you are part of a staff at a mountain?

So having listened to all of this Rob, are you sure that's what you want to do??? It can be a pretty rough crowd here, even if you do what's right. Unfortunetly, you'll be guilty by association.

It won't at all be that he's guilty by association. What I took issue with originally wasn't that Rob wanted to be a Ranger, but that he wanted to 'police the park'. The park is one of the places on the mountain that I think is least tainted by pedantic Ranger behavior, and it's that behavior being brought into the park that I feared an unfortunate but inevitable consequence of Rangers beginning to take on the specific responsibility of policing the park.

I'm not saying that Rob will be an unreasonable Ranger, in fact as I said before I believe that he'll be the opposite. Nor is it Rob's wanting to 'police the park' in itself, as I'm sure that would be reasonable too. It is the consequence of this - pedantic Rangers that make a habit of overexerting their authority coming to the park - that I fear.

By your message I assume you are part of a staff at a mountain?

29391[/snapback]

Volunteer at CB going on 5 yrs now. Some of the users of this board and I have had the pleasure of good times together at CB. And maybe, just maybe, I may have had contact with some of the others but I can tell you if a red marker was used, it was the last resort and definetly deserved. I treat the skiers and boarders I interact with with respect and hopefully get the same in return. If you're serious about becoming a ranger, that's the way to go. Treat others as you want to be treated and be prepared to turn the other cheek. Now I'm afraid I've opened myself to the slings and arrows.

Anyone know what their minimum attendance is, with the volunteer progam?

29446[/snapback]

They look for at least two days per week( your choice of days) for the entire season. Weekends are pretty well staffed on Saturday and Sunday during the day but they're always looking for someone to work Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Weekends are hectic with a lot of time spent doing traffic control at the scene of accidents and trail condition reports. Weekdays are the best days to work if you can swing it. Lighter crowds and more ski time. If you're serious, you can contact the head of the program at Camelbeach to get the ball rolling. There is a training course you have to attend before the season kicks off.