Bear Creek has a lot of rails

patt.

You my friend have caught a rare glimpse of the boneyard. Indeed out of service rails,boxes, and various features. Hike the mountain bike trail sometime and it takes you right past it. Don't know why they don't just get rid of em for some reason, doubt any of them will ever see the slopes again.

When I'm on Lift A at Bear Creek I can see the place were they keep all of their rails, and there has to be hundreds. So my question is why does it seem Bear Creek always uses the same 20 rails every signal season?

Hundreds? haha naaaah. But yeah there are quite a few old rails back there. Maybe 10 or 15. Some are hanging out waiting to be repurposed and some are on the scrap list because they're built to older specs or standards. Every summer I try to bring a few down to get rid of but sooner or later another few end up back there. A pretty constant cycle really.

I'm always surprised Macungie meth heads haven't stolen them for scrap money.......

Is the s rail with the franken legs resting forever in this elephant's grave yard ? That thing was cool but brutal.......

Yup, that one's still up there. Got knocked around with a bulldozer a few summers back and ended up with a pretty nasty kink in the middle. And then... the new s-rail was born!

• 2 weeks later...

the boneyard makes me sad. so many features rusting away. that tall green tank with the black mini stripe things all over it was only used a few times and the times it was used it was burried up so only a foot or so was sticking out of the snow. who cares about wood aluminum and colors bring those back!!

I agree, that old roller coaster box should be brought out.

I agree, that old roller coaster box should be brought out.

That old beast was super fun! The skier in me wants that box out on the hill... the whatever else in me has to say otherwise though. Unfortunately it's one of the features that wasn't built to current standards, and for that feature the list is long. Besides that, to be perfectly honest, it's downright dangerous to move and set up. It's so long and flexible that when it's moved it flaps around like a giant pair of wings. I kind of wish I had a video of it being moved around just for the funnys.

With that said... If it's deemed possible to actually fit one in the shop.. we're looking into getting a steel roller so we'll be able to pump out way more curved features. That box in particular only still exists to one day make an exact copy of it but built more set-up and budget friendly.