JF 3/23

C1erArt

Things are getting pretty quiet, on the slope and here on the board, but how many years can I write an entry with the date of 3/23? Was out Friday afternoon with temps around 60 and sunny, and this morning with temp of 33 and cloudy.

Things got pretty soft on Friday, but still nice skiing. Bumps were nice:

83afaba3-a17a-4403-b318-67d56d4f09b2_zps

Froze up Saturday night, and today was a lot faster skiing, but the bumps and glades were very unfriendly. Only the hard core people are hitting the slopes now, so most were over at east mountain. It was pretty quiet in the lodge and the parking lot when I left around 11. JF just posted they are closed mid week, but hope to open next weekend.

• Like 1

For me Floyd's was about 45 mph. The light was pretty flat and the slope was a little cut up, so I tended to scrub some speed before I hit the top.

I probably will hit Blue Tuesday morning or Thursday afternoon (between conference calls) what with Frost being closed and free lift tickets with a season pass. Do you know if you can pick them up at the bottom lodge on a weekday? Haven't been there for 5 or 6 years.

Article in the paper about a red coat losing a ski at Camelback and going off into the trees. Pretty dicey. Maybe I should crank up my DINs s little.

Pocono Record article.

Camelback ski ranger takes the ride of his life

Latest Headlines

A Gouldsboro man's brief trip down a steep Pocono ski trail came with a round-trip ticket to eternity.

Original Article: http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140323/NEWS/403230334/-1/rss01

---------------

I went to JF today with the family. We brought my 3 1/2 year old to ski for the first time. My wife and son went for a few runs while I was putting her in the snow monster program. It did not start off well at all. When I was checking her in she started crying and saying she wanted her mommy and did't want to ski. I finally got her to go with her instructor and when i saw her on snowmonster alley she was crying and yelling I want my mommy. After about an hour talking to my wife she started to work with an instructor named Mike. He did a great job and by the time she finished her lesson she was using the magic carpet and laughing as she skied down the hill.

My wife spent most of the time watching Abigail ski while I skied with my son. We started off on Lehigh which was real fast since it was groomed ice. Next run we went down Demattes Demise. Since skiing Cannonball at Montage he is obsessed with skiing Black Diamonds so our next run was on Thunderbolt. He did great on that so we moved on to challenge. It was a fun trail. We had the trail to ourselves. He handled the headwall pretty easy so I thought I would let him check out East Mountain from the lift. On the way up I said he could ski Rivershot next year. He said"come on dad just let me do it" so we went down Rivershot. He did real well and handled the last drop pretty well. He was turning well but then he went into a straight-line for the bottom third. He stopped on the runout to the lift. I asked why he stopped turning and he that snow kicked up in his eyes(he didn't want to wear the goggles) so he went straight because he didn't want to fall. We did a few more runs on Thunder and Exhibition. We met up with my wife and daughter, put the harness on my daughter and did 2 runs on snowflake before calling it quits.

Lodge was empty, I got to see how it feels to ski on a weekday.

We went to the White Haven Diner for breakfast. Our total bill for 4 was $15.85. Food is good, portions are huge and coffee is included with every meal. It is a great way to end the day.

• Like 2

He did a great job and by the time she finished her lesson she was using the magic carpet and laughing as she skied down the hill.

With my kids at that age, they stopped fussing as soon as we were out of sight (usually we were watching from some hiding spot) and joined in the activity having a lot of fun.

We all pretty much straight line the bottom 1/3 of Rivershot. It was a great weekend to introduce kids to east mountain.