Boulder 12-30-14

Justin

BACK FROM THE DEAD!

After over a year away from snow, I was finally reunited once again. Ripping down the 17 second runs at Boulder today got me so fired up about PA skiing that I just had to dust off the PASR account and write up a TR.

Me and a lady friend (also an avid PA skier) spontaneously decided to go skiing today. Original plans called for Blue, but once we found out they were blowing snow on all open trails, we tagged along with her park lapping brother and headed up to Boulder instead. So I got myself an overpriced $55 lift ticket, then broke out the waterlogged, delam'd, and completely destroyed pair of afterbangs and started hurling myself onto some rails like it was 2007.

It was not like riding a bike. I quickly realized that a job, commuting daily to school, and limited coverage health insurance should govern the amount of time spent in the air and on obstacles until I got my mojo back, so we spent most of the time lapping bunny schuss with the occasional run down Boulder Park (which they were blowing on, go figure). Let me tell you - we were schralping. I must of racked up 1000 gnar points, easily. Seriously though, I had a great time dicking around in the woods and just skiing on stuff you shouldn't ski on with about 3 inches of snow on it. I found my way down about 1/2 the length of bunny schuss almost completely in the trees. All those years in VT has paid off, I guess. Right around 1, LOVE park opened, so we lapped that for a bit and I started to get my rail game back. The larger features motivated me to perform better, I guess. Overall, snow condition was great, nice coverage and firm, grippy, fast snow. Despite the tiny-ness of Boulder I still had an absolute blast just being on snow again.

For the rats, the setup is pretty decent around the mountain. I can only take boulder in small doses though (unless they have jumps). We bought blue tickets beforehand so now I can at the very least get another day in this season. Needless to say my ski itch is back in full swing, so I'll likely start stashing away some moolah and treat myself to a blue pass next year. Times have been tough financially this past year, so skiing hasn't been really an option. I was going to get a JFBB college pass last season, but I was without a car so I decided to ditch at the last minute. Same story for this season, but I think need to be on snow at least 20 days a year again to regain sanity. Life is rough not being on two planks.

Here's me catching some fresh tracks:

jm_ski.JPG

Hope everyone is well! PASR forever!!!! Me and dbamf actually got together two weeks ago and I'm sure we'll be on the mountain soon again...

Edited by Justin

• 2 weeks later...