Shawnee Park

parkbuilder

Hey people... my name is keith and i just signed up with pa ski and ride. i live in milford up there in pike county. my post here is about shawnee mountain. it looks to me like i'm going be working somewhere in the park department this winter. last year when i went to shawnee i wasn't to impressed to be honest, the rails were okay... boxes a lil sticky... but the setups.......... absoultly horrible! anyone have some good ideas on what they would like to see? bigger jumps, better trannies, BETTER SETUPS? let me know so i can do my best to help out. ttyl peace

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to PASR - Shawnee really pushed the park last year and we tried it once, it was a let down compared with all the hype - maintenance seeemed to be the problem. prolly due to all the traffic just riding over the lips.

If just one place concentrated on making a decent half pipe - maybe...... just do one thing and do it well would be a suggestion

Welcome to pasr. Ummm not to me be rude but there paark wasn't good in anything. I will come up with some ideas later. Glad some one wants to make the park better.

31527[/snapback]

hey man thanx for the post... im not taking anything personally lol, i totally agree with you that their park sucked... im just trying to play it down just bc im prob gonna be working there. Im def all about improving their park, hopefully everyone can pitch in and call that park their own, and finally get some good setups for everyone to enjoy.

Welcome to PASR -  Shawnee really pushed the park last year and we tried it once, it was a let down compared with all the hype - maintenance seeemed to be the problem.  prolly due to all the traffic just riding over the lips. 

If just one place concentrated on making a decent half pipe -  maybe...... just do one thing and do it well would be a suggestion

31530[/snapback]

to be honest with you, i need to just ask one question... how good of a rider are you? because if want a good pipe, head to creek sometime after the grandprix, a few days later is the best... it gets cut to perfection with 20' walls and a perfect drop in... once their snowmaking gets going creek has one of the best pipes around.

to be honest with you, i need to just ask one question... how good of a rider are you? because if want a good pipe, head to creek sometime after the grandprix, a few days later is the best... it gets cut to perfection with 20' walls and a perfect drop in... once their snowmaking gets going creek has one of the best pipes around.

31543[/snapback]

How good of a rider?? I am the best - nobody throws down bigger or better with more steeze than me!! hahah... MC after the Grand Prix, thanks for the tip, when is the grand prix next season? I wasn't thinking about MC - you are right about the best pipe in previous seasons. I was just thinking of the PA mountains, my bad...

You suck you can't do anything ^^^^^^ Ummmm how about a half pipe, 60 foot rail, and 60 foot jump I'll come with some real stuff later.

31546[/snapback]

well im not gonna lie... shawnee's pipe is basically a hole in the ground, that def needs to be in better shape. Coming from jersey I def can see a diffrence in pipes hands down. 60' jumps sounds good, at least one of them... hopefully we can get shawnee to throw in a better jump line this year with some decent lips and bigger trannies. id say with their park size you could fit in 3 good jumps... if u start from the side of the pipe (aka hole in the ground) you might be able to agin enough speed for a 25'... then a 30'... and hopefully push it to 50' + if you can carry your speed from the trannies of the first two. I envy you skiers, i dont wanna hear any crying from snowboarders either, we all know they get way more speed to clear shit. thanks for the tip, ill be checking in!

yea the rail setups and pipe sucked big time last winter at their park, the jumps were pretty good though....still a good improvement from their previous park

31599[/snapback]

i heard their lips sucked, and they had minimal transition space and steepness... I just hope they dont promote something again that they cant deliver. what were their biggest hits? anything over 35'?

ha shawnee has to open early because they made a commitment to their timeshare holders that they will have skiing by a certain time. If they get real desperate they would probably buy ice and grind it up and call it snow. Even when they do make snow early, they usually have like a 6" base which is bad news for your ski/board base.

ha shawnee has to open early because they made a commitment to their timeshare holders that they will have skiing by a certain time. If they get real desperate they would probably buy ice and grind it up and call it snow. Even when they do make snow early, they usually have like a 6" base which is bad news for your ski/board base.

31772[/snapback]

who cares lol, i jus wanna ride

31772[/snapback]

If it's just the groomed ice they call snow around here, does it matter if its 6" or 60"? :confused

As long as nothing comes through and it doesn't melt who cares how thick it is.

The leaves are falling.... winters coming

I would ski shawnee all the time if it were the only place open

Different ski area's have different focus's. Blue obviously wants to push the fact that they have the most vert. Camelback wants to be THE resort in the pocono's, bear wants the best park, and shawnee wants to be the first open. The mountains are shooting for a certain market, based on the facilities available. Good, bad or indifferent they all have different goals. Best to find the mountain that suits you best.

If I get this job wed. It would be cool to have an S-box at shawnee, actually just some harder and longer features... most of their stuff last year didnt have much gaps onto the jibs, at least not that i could recall, i kinda felt like a pussy riding through there... any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

alright, im a regular at shawnee. atleast 4x a week. All they need to do is learn to setup things. I have a lot of expierience in the park, maybe you've seen me before (last year i had a BRIGHT PINK snowboard, and all black jacket and pants) hahah.heres couple improvements

learn to cut the pipe

do not put Jumps and rails on the same "plateau". Put a his and hers on those.

Setup the Down flat down as a Down flat down. haha not up flat up. Just put it going down a downslope.

Put somerails on the backside of the rail garden plateaus. make the flat rail a downrail, it owuld go much better.

DO NOT make huge kickers up to the rails. make smooth jumps up to them. no ride on, just dont put them on HUGE mounds aka, the Down flat down.

Utilize all the room next to the pipe, put a box there or something there. theres plenty of room for a rail or two.

SETUP THE WALLRIDE, on the last rail plateau. PLEASE! no where else, that would be by far the best go at the wallride. make the up to the plateau the tranny, and then sttraight up, or whatever onto the wallride.

Stick some rails after the plateaus.

Make the C box hittable from both sides (we did this last year, if you remember, it was a sick setup)

If you've ever been to creek,setup the rails like that. I dont mean, try to be creek, i mean try to make them gap on, and an actualy hop. That way, more people are intimidated and it scares the crap out of them.

PARK PASS!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Resurface all boxes, there bubbles.

Make the jumps, farther back, meaning bigger gaps. you can get soooo much speed, and there was nothing you can do, because they were small, you could overclear the landings SOOO EASILY. i cannot count how many times i did that.

Like i said, make a his and hers, so someone that isn't too good, can still hit the smaller one.

make MORE JUMPS. more variety. You can easily through two NICE JUMPS on the first plateau with the DFD. its a REALLLY NICE long landing. PLEASE make this the good jump this year, as last year, sadly, the tabletop was better, but because its a table top, everyone rolls over it.

PARK CREW!!!!!!!!! you need it. you can't do without it. We need to keep the kids who can't even ski, out of the park. im not talking the kids who are trying boxes and suck, i mean the kids on leashs and teh kids whos no more than 3 feet, pizza down the whole trail

Hey,

alright, im a regular at shawnee. atleast 4x a week. All they need to do is learn to setup things. I have a lot of expierience in the park, maybe you've seen me before (last year i had a BRIGHT PINK snowboard, and all black jacket and pants) hahah.heres  couple improvements

learn to cut the pipe

do not put Jumps and rails on the same "plateau". Put a his and hers on those.

Setup the Down flat down as a Down flat down. haha not up flat up. Just put it going down a downslope.

Put somerails on the backside of the rail garden plateaus. make the flat rail a downrail, it owuld go much better.

DO NOT make huge kickers up to the rails. make smooth jumps up to them. no ride on, just dont put them on HUGE mounds aka, the Down flat down.

Utilize all the room next to the pipe, put a box there or something there. theres plenty of room for a rail or two.

SETUP THE WALLRIDE, on the last rail plateau. PLEASE! no where else, that would be by far the best go at the wallride. make the up to the plateau the tranny, and then sttraight up, or whatever onto the wallride.

Stick some rails after the plateaus.

Make the C box hittable from both sides (we did this last year, if you remember, it was a sick setup)

If you've ever been to creek,setup the rails like that. I dont mean, try to be creek, i mean try to make them gap on, and an actualy hop. That way, more people are intimidated and it scares the crap out of them.

PARK PASS!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Resurface all boxes, there bubbles.

Make the jumps, farther back, meaning bigger gaps. you can get soooo much speed, and there was nothing you can do, because they were small, you could overclear the landings SOOO EASILY. i cannot count how many times i did that.

Like i said, make a his and hers, so someone that isn't too good, can still hit the smaller one.

make MORE JUMPS. more variety. You can easily through two NICE JUMPS on the first plateau with the DFD. its a REALLLY NICE long landing. PLEASE make this the good jump this year, as last year, sadly, the tabletop was better, but because its a table top, everyone rolls over it.

PARK CREW!!!!!!!!! you need it. you can't do without it. We need to keep the kids who can't even ski, out of the park. im not talking the kids who are trying boxes and suck, i mean the kids on leashs and teh kids whos no more than 3 feet, pizza down the whole trail

33785[/snapback]

Well finally something useful on this board! We'll I would like to introduce myself to you, My name is Keith and I am the park crew, thats right... me and really only me. This year I will hope to have major influence on shawnee's park. I'm going to go over your ideas and explain the details of shawnee's stand point, I must say I do not have the ability to speak for Shawnee Mountain on this board. But I'll do my best.

Park Crew: Hi, I am the park crew... me and only me. <_< I will be out there patrolling the park day in and day out. I will be fixing features and maintaining the jumps, kickers, and yes even tranny's.

More Jumps: The design has not been planned yet, we have some good ideas already but nothing is set in stone as of yet. I would like to setup 2 to 3 different size kickers each on the first plateau's after the pipe. When I was there about 2 weeks ago I got a tour of the trail and I will agree with you, those are the best places for nice booters. Multi booters MUST be the way to go in order to supply the best rounded riding from beginners to shred dogs... Don't be surprised to see some 35'+ booters, But i'd imagine smaller beginner jump features as well.

Boxes: Will be resurfaced with thicker material... no bubbles

Park Pass: NO PARK PASS, my boss and I pushed for this, but they do not want to pay people $8 an hour to check park passes. It may sound cheap, but everything adds up in the end. I will be patrolling to keep those "leashes" out of our park! There is nothing I hate more than people who "ride" over beautiful kickers that I will have a hand in building. People who do not belong on features, WILL NOT be riding them and getting themselves hurt. My main concern is safety for everyone.

Creek: I have been a Season Pass holder in dirty jerz for 4 years... and I love their parks and setups. And nothing compares to their jibs! Now try to understand that creek is owned and operated by INTRAWEST resorts, they own whistler, stratton, mammoth... yea they are huge. Shawnee is independently owned, therefor its very costly to maintain in terms of lawyers. Here is a crash course in what the resort community calls "Risk Management" The safer the easier, the less accidents, the less law suits! Enter into the topic of shawnee's rails/boxes. Gaps are extremely frowned upon by management because this adds MORE RISK to the features. Hopefully you will get your gaps, it all depends if they consider my opinion and building techniques. There is nothing I love more than a nice 5-7' gap onto a rail, but if anything count on 3'-5'.

Explain last years C box setup for me if you don't mind... both sides?

WALLRIDE: I know how to place one right... I actually stalled creeks last year, and its more than double the size of shawnee's. (16' creek ---> 7' shawnee) But i promise it will be fun! Again if they listen...

Next to the pipe... Some thing needs to go there... I'm thinking a down rail and another feature... but a lot of snow needs to be blown for that to happen so id wait till later in the season for any hope.

The PIPE: Not my area, i'll give them ideas on how to groom it, but i'm thinking ill be "in the trench" raking out nice flowing transitions.

Thanks for the ideas, do you have any pics from last years setups, i wasn't a regular... hell i had creek, but anything would help. If you are there 4x's a week, we wont miss each other, Ill be getting feed back regularly from the field to make everything better for everyone. Hope this clears a lil more up! :confused:rock