Backpacking the AT near blue

tnt

Hey all - 

My daughter's planning to do a little backpacking before school starts.  Does anyone have any experience with the AT section at blue?  

Are there good camping sites if you set out NE from the trailhead?  Is it a ice hike there?  maybe she would go 5-6 miles the first day, 8-10 the next and maybe we would pick them up somewhere after they hike out day three.

Any info on that stretch would be appreciate.  Most curios about suitable camp sites.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Did she end up hiking? Unfortunately, I’ve been stalled at the PA/NJ and VT/NH line for two years, so no experience on that part. I had a hike planned in late July, but cancelled it due to Covid. I will be back out next summer.

I find that the most of the official maps do pretty well at defining official campsites and water spots. If you’re looking for stealth sites and on trail water, I suggest your daughter look into the forums at WhiteBlaze or she invest in the AWOL AT NoBo or SoBo book. They have tons of great insider info and lots of hidden spots.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks guys.

She ended up going to the AT at the water gap for a night.  Her water spot was bunk, but otherwise she had a nice two days.

I suspect it's much more scenic than the blue section.

Water Gap is a fun little section. It’s a little freaky hiking across I-80 with tractor trailers blowing you around, but the DWG section on the Jersey side is pretty easy for the first couple miles. They’ve made it like a superhighway for all the tourists that are just out for the day. Just a little past that there’s some decent little views and a really nice view off the fire tower. I hope she got to experience that. Jersey is pretty mellow. NY is the fun one. The deli superhighway. Eat like a king every day without needing to go off the trail further than a half mile.