Altimeter Suggestions

DHarrisburg

I'm interested in snagging an altimeter this season, but I don't know too much about them. All I want to do is track elevation, so I don't need one with a barometer, clock, thermometer, etc. Ideally I'd like to spend under $100 but I know that's aiming a little low. If you know of a product that is really good, but somewhat pricy, let me know anyway. The only product I'm interested right now is the Nixon Delta watch (yeah, I know I said I don't need extras, AND it's pretty pricey, but I do need a new watch and I've been overly pleased with Nixon in the past).

Edited by DHarrisburg

The Vertech II Ski?  I just checked it out on their website.  It looks awesome, but for the price I think I'd rather drop another $100 and get the Nixon.

34996[/snapback]

I got mine on ebay for not so much money.

I think the II is just the newer model. It looks like it does the same things as the vertech I.

What is the difference between the Vertech I & II?

34999[/snapback]

Battery life and precision. First one you had to change batteries every two years, II gives you four due to its "sleep" mode. First one gave you vert in 10 foot increments, new one is 5 foot increments. Beyond that, nothing.

The Vertech II Ski?  I just checked it out on their website.  It looks awesome, but for the price I think I'd rather drop another $100 and get the Nixon.

34996[/snapback]

Why? I don't know anything about the Nixon watch except that it costs more and I know a lot of the others are heavy and some of them won't go OVER your jacket sleeve. (Only problem with this is if it's damp out and water gets IN the watch and freezes, it affects the watch's accuracy permanently. If there is precip now, I put my watch UNDER the sleeve.)

I have one, thats pretty good, that I didn't use last season at all.  I would sell it for like $50, but it probably needs a new battery by now, and its hard to find someone who will relace it.  Here is the watch I have... http://ecom1.sno-ski.com/product137.html

34960[/snapback]

Skimom, how does this compare to the Avocet?

Why?  I don't know anything about the Nixon watch except that it costs more and I know a lot of the others are heavy and some of them won't go OVER your jacket sleeve.  (Only problem with this is if it's damp out and water gets IN the watch and freezes, it affects the watch's accuracy permanently.  If there is precip now, I put my watch UNDER the sleeve.)

35035[/snapback]

Because it'd be a watch that I could wear off the hill. I don't like "sporty" watches, and the majority of altimeter watches are pretty ugly. Nixon makes awesome watches and the Delta does a nice job of mixing style and function.

I hate any digital watch, so I have a nice ladylike thing for normal wear, but that sounds like a good reason to me. Will you change the band so you can wear it outside your jacket to ski? That's one of the nice parts to me. Most of the time I don't have to burrow through layers and layers to find out what time it is.

Some reviews of the Nixon watch:

Backcountry.com reviews

Here's a review of the Avocet from GearReview.com:

Avocet Vertech II Alpin

Avocet was one of the pioneers in the altimeter watches. They first version of the Vertech Alpin was more accurate than the competition, being designed first as an altimeter then a watch. However, there were concerns with Vertech as well and it became unavailable for a few years while Avocet made enhancements to it. This year marks the return of Avocet to the altimeter market with the Vertech II Alpin.

The new Vertech II is smaller and lighter than the original (listed at 1.3 oz). The watch has a streamlined profile and the large Function and Options buttons make it easy to operate, even with gloves on. Calibrating the altitude is easy, as long as you know your current altitude. The Vertech II is one of the more accurate altimeter watches on the market, displaying altitude in 5 feet increments. Avocet advertises that the altimeter has aircraft precision accuracy. One of the nicer features of the Vertech II is the capability to measure altitude gain/loss per hour, while other watches measure altitude gain/loss per minute?not very useful unless you are skydiving.

The Vertech II also has a thermometer that displays on virtually every screen. Like thermometers on other watches, it is only accurate as long as it has been off your wrist for about 15 minutes. Avocet also has a ton of accessories for the Vertech II like an elastic band, bike handlebar mounting system, and several different lanyards.

While Avocet has made enhancements to the Vertech II, I still have some concerns. My biggest issue with the first version of the Vertech was that there was no light, a feature that I would consider essential. Also, the Vertech II isn't very water resistant, only to 10 feet. Another big issue is that Avocet "recommends" that the battery be replaced by Avocet certified service centers, making it a long and potentially painful process just to get a new battery.

The Vertech II operates in temperatures ranging from 0-122 degrees F and altitudes from -4000 feet to over 30,000 feet.

Overall though, the Vertech was well liked by the Field Test Crew. Retailing for $160.00, the Vertech II is a good buy.

Edited by sibhusky

Skimom, how does this compare to the Avocet?

35036[/snapback]

There is something about it that is cumbersome, but I don't recall what. The 'dude had to keep track or something or another... and, it didn't correlate with mine that well. I just didn't think it was as good.

Will you change the band so you can wear it outside your jacket to ski?  That's one of the nice parts to me.  Most of the time I don't have to burrow through layers and layers to find out what time it is.

35061[/snapback]

They sell a cheaper model with a rubber band, but I'd most likely put it in a pocket somewhere that isn't going to open. I usually have my cell phone in my pocket, and I use that to check the time (if lifts don't have clocks, that is).

I have one, thats pretty good, that I didn't use last season at all.  I would sell it for like $50, but it probably needs a new battery by now, and its hard to find someone who will relace it.  Here is the watch I have... http://ecom1.sno-ski.com/product137.html

34960[/snapback]

How much is a battery? What do you mean when you say "relace it?"

How much is a battery?  What do you mean when you say "relace it?"

35326[/snapback]

I brought my watch to a shop, and they said it was the hardest battery to replace...I guess the back comes off differently from most other watches...Battery is probably about 5 bucks (but im not possitive)