Palmer Pls plates

Stevo

I really need to get some palmer PLS plates (flex model), but i can't find them anywhere. I've tried nestors, who only sells the burton ones, and Pelican (same story). I tried army navy, and although they carry PLS plates, they don't have the flex model. Does anyone know where i can find these things, or does anyone have an old pair i could buy off of them? Thanks alot

Ironic coming from someone who detunes their board. Risers are proven technology. There's no gimmick at all. Although, they certainly weren't designed to help out the park riders.

If not wanting to murder yourself coming through a kink is a gimmick, I guess I'm guilty as charged. The reason I was never quite sure about Palmer plates was due to the fact that it's going to raise you even higher off your board. Why not just invest in a board with a wider waist width (provided you're trying to avoid overhang) or adjust your angles/highback rotation? Just because there's "proven technology" behind a product doesn't make it worth your money.

It just seems to me that Palmer plates have gotten a reputation along the lines of "HOLY CRAP BUY THESE IF YOU HAVE BIG FEET BECAUSE THEY WILL ELIMINATE HEEL/TOE DRAG AND MAKE YOU A BETTER SNOWBOARDER" and sell a ton of units based off this idea.

Why not just invest in a board with a wider waist width

I have no money to invest in a board. I just got a brand new board from revolution for FREE. The only thing is, they couldn't make the board wide enough for me, because that would require a new die, which could cost upwards of $30,000. I have size 12s ( i know, i know, i probably could have gotten away with 11s or 10.5s, but i didn't- i've had these boots for the past year also, so it's not like i just bought them), and my boots are just too big for the 25.5 cm waist width. I've heard a lot of good things about the risers, so i decided to get them. I've also heard some bad things about them, but i'll decide for myself. I'm not expecting them to eliminate my toe drag, and i will increase my angles, but i want these because i don't like what i see so far with the overhang. Another thing that the guy from revolution told me is that wider boards tend to have slower edge to edge response.

Ironic coming from someone who detunes their board. Risers are proven technology. There's no gimmick at all. Although, they certainly weren't designed to help out the park riders.

Not designed for park riders, but the flex model (the one i want to get) is the model in the lineup that is best for park, compared to the other models

Almost forgot- my heelcups are all the way out, and my binders are set back all the way, so i'm not getting anymore room from them.

I've had the shock for a season now and I love them. Totally got rid of my heal/toe drag (size 11 boots) and they provide a small but noticeable increase in edging power. As far as park goes. I haven't had any issue with them, they seem to be OK. For hits they actually make the landing a little easier on the knees.

These are really small changes but I got them off e-bay for $45 last year and I figure what the hell try them out and I like them.

steveo, first of all I highly believe that the large palmer plates are not proven tech and actually cause your board to break. this theory comes from a friend of mine with a size 13 foot, fits into a burton 12, who has constantly broken his boards. in 5 years he's been through at least 10 boards. I think last year he went through three boards. Now, if you look at his broken boards, or cracked edges where does the board break. right where the palmer plates end. likewise, put some plates on your board and flex the board. look at the extremely large flat spot the plates have created under your foot.

the buddy of mine switched from palmer plates to the burton plates and saved weight, and has actually stopped breaking boards as often.

steveo, first of all I highly believe that the large palmer plates are not proven tech and actually cause your board to break. this theory comes from a friend of mine with a size 13 foot, fits into a burton 12, who has constantly broken his boards. in 5 years he's been through at least 10 boards. I think last year he went through three boards. Now, if you look at his broken boards, or cracked edges where does the board break. right where the palmer plates end. likewise, put some plates on your board and flex the board. look at the extremely large flat spot the plates have created under your foot.

the buddy of mine switched from palmer plates to the burton plates and saved weight, and has actually stopped breaking boards as often.

Thanks nitromtnrep, but i think i'm just gonna risk it. My board has a 3 year warranty(not sure if park riding or the plate use voids it though), so maybe i'll be covered. If this did happen, I could always go back to palmer and bitch like crazy. If I do break a board, i have a backup. I just want to try these things out for myself and see what they do. They're not proven tech, but i've heard a lot of positive things about them, and the design makes sense. I would have gotten the burton ones, but they're more money, and i don't really like the looks of them :confused . I could see though, how the palmer plates might put more stress on the inserts, because there's more leverage against them=more stress , but then again, i have super flexible bindings (drake super sports :banana: ), so i don't see a high risk at breaking my board. Thanks a lot though. If i break my board, then you can say "i told you so" But seriously, i hope that never happens

They will tell you that it's not their fault your board broke, it's the board company. The board company will then tell you it's because of the plates. Good luck.

I know three guys that have the 1/2 inch palmer plates i think that is the size you are looking for. I can tell you that yes they help you make better edges. But two out of the three guys cracked their edges. those two are big guys, 6'2" + and 200 lbs plus. now the third guy is just as tall but about 165. so part of that might be the fact that the 200 lbs, first guy I talked about is 270, put greater force on the newly created week spots.

If you do crack you edges or break your board you might want to look into the nitro magnum, or never summer makes a board for big feet, and I think santa cruz makes a wide board as well. Lastly Burton has been putting out some wider boards, but they don't seem to be as wide as the three brands mentioned previously.

best of luck. but even a three year warranty won't cover everything.

Well, i think i'm just gonna have to try it. I don't have many options. I think next year, i'm gonna squeeze into some smaller boots, and maybe i won't have this problem. I might not even have any problems without them, so i don't know- i'll just have to see what happens.

I know three guys that have the 1/2 inch palmer plates i think that is the size you are looking for. I can tell you that yes they help you make better edges. But two out of the three guys cracked their edges. those two are big guys, 6'2" + and 200 lbs plus. now the third guy is just as tall but about 165. so part of that might be the fact that the 200 lbs, first guy I talked about is 270, put greater force on the newly created week spots.

If you do crack you edges or break your board you might want to look into the nitro magnum, or never summer makes a board for big feet, and I think santa cruz makes a wide board as well. Lastly Burton has been putting out some wider boards, but they don't seem to be as wide as the three brands mentioned previously.

best of luck. but even a three year warranty won't cover everything.

atomic makes a wide board too.

we have the palmer plates up at mike n matts in all the sizes

you're most definetely better off going with the plates than a wide board. with the plates, you can put them on a regular width board without any heel or toe drag which is much better than taking a wide board. since wide boards edges are further apart, it takes more energy to transfer from one edge to the other, making it much more difficult to turn. i dont know if you've ever ridden a wide board but they're just like trying to turn with your feet strapped onto a piece of plywood. with the plates you put them on a regular size board, and still maintain the same amount, if not better, control of a normal width board

i dont know if you've ever ridden a wide board but they're just like trying to turn with your feet strapped onto a piece of plywood. with the plates you put them on a regular size board, and still maintain the same amount, if not better, control of a normal width board

I know Nitro has the magnum, which is a wide board but has a bigger side cut to deal with the width of the board.

Ahahaha that's the biggest crock I've heard in a while.

I'm going to go ahead and say gear depends on riding style. If you were a park rider, the wider board is definately the key. If you spend more time free riding then the plates may be the way to, especially here in the east. A mogul skier doesn't want racing gear, both are "better" at what they were intended to do. Biggest crock... this is PROVEN techonlogy when it comes to creating better angles, which means better carving. I've heard lots of people claim they are too responsive when it comes to rails, which I wouldn't pretend to dispute. Risers do HELP with toe/heel drag. I would think in some cases it could eliminate toe/heel drag in others it wouldn't.

Saying they are the end all solution is wrong. So is refusing to give the products its proper credit.