"The Ski"

Philpug

I am sure the old timers here might remember "The Ski" but did you know that Bobbie Burns is still producing them in Sun Valley. You know hoe much of a gear junky/afficiando I am..I just had to get my hands on a pair. Last year I came across a pair on Craigslist, but chose to pass them up. Over the course of time, I was questioning that decision. This past week I chose to shoot the guy who had them an e-mail to see if he sitll had them. Sure enough he did. Still being inquisitive I had to do some more research on them. I found "The Ski"'s web site http://theski.us/ and made a phone call. I talked to a man there for about 20 minutes about the products. He told me all about the process and how the skis were made. I thinked him and asked him his name, it was THE Bobbie Burns.

I will say, these are neat skis. They are 111/71/97 for the shape and mounted with Marker Piston 1200's. What is also cool about these is if you hold them up to the light, there are opaque and you can see through them. Also each ski has a piece of sagebrush imbedded in them. These skis have never seen snow and I am not sure if thy will. These are on line with the Bognar ski in uniqueness and price. I was dinda disapointed that they come from the factory with Markers. I would have liked to find some Spademans to put on them. I will post pics either later today or tomorrow.

I am sure the old timers here might remember "The Ski" but did you know that Bobbie Burns is still producing them in Sun Valley. You know hoe much of a gear junky/afficiando I am..I just had to get my hands on a pair. Last year I came across a pair on Craigslist, but chose to pass them up. Over the course of time, I was questioning that decision. This past week I chose to shoot the guy who had them an e-mail to see if he sitll had them. Sure enough he did. Still being inquisitive I had to do some more research on them. I found "The Ski"'s web site http://theski.us/ and made a phone call. I talked to a man there for about 20 minutes about the products. He told me all about the process and how the skis were made. I thinked him and asked him his name, it was THE Bobbie Burns.

I will say, these are neat skis. They are 111/71/97 for the shape and mounted with Marker Piston 1200's. What is also cool about these is if you hold them up to the light, there are opaque and you can see through them. Also each ski has a piece of sagebrush imbedded in them. These skis have never seen snow and I am not sure if thy will. These are on line with the Bognar ski in uniqueness and price. I was dinda disapointed that they come from the factory with Markers. I would have liked to find some Spademans to put on them. I will post pics either later today or tomorrow.

Why do you care if there are markers on them if your not gonna use them? Sounds dumb to me. Also imo they are ugly.

Doesn't sound like montageskier is going to be buying a set :D

The "overall soft flex" seems like the major issue to me, Phil. Tip to tail dampening? Just from poking around their site, it seems like these might be like wearing vibrators on your feet in eastern conditions. I'd demo a set for sure---I like to screw around on different skis, but they look more like the Atomic Balanze...how about buying a set of reconditoned 173's and passing them around?

Doesn't sound like montageskier is going to be buying a set :D

The "overall soft flex" seems like the major issue to me, Phil. Tip to tail dampening? Just from poking around their site, it seems like these might be like wearing vibrators on your feet in eastern conditions. I'd demo a set for sure---I like to screw around on different skis, but they look more like the Atomic Balanze...how about buying a set of reconditoned 173's and passing them around?

The skis are suprisingly stiff torsonally. I think they actually might be a good eastern ski, provided the snow it not boilerplate.

Edited by Philpug

Why introduce a foreign substance like a plant to the ski? It then will have an inconsistent density in whatever section of the ski it is in. Or is this just paint?

I think the sage is just in the base. I doubt that would cause a huge difference in the perfmance of the ski. I could easily be wrong, but I just don't see how a little bit of plant is a huge deal when its in the base. If it was the core of the board maybe that would be a different story.