Hey, Sib!

ole2planker

Well, the chair had people on it and people were skiing down on Saturday, but the mountain is not "open". There is talk of opening before opening day, but there's been nothing official yet. Frankly, I've been too busy to really worry about it yet. I can tell you the people skiing down were skiing mostly across grass and mud on the part I saw. The only reason I was up there was Siblet was home from college and managed to puncture the gas tank on the van driving up the mountain to talk to her coach. (One year minus a week ago she rolled the truck. She has decided to give up driving in November.)

The one listed on the left under my screenname.

Brawhahaha!

Siblet's in college!?! Sorry I didn't get to meet her last January.

My older daughter, whom you met, is now at Stanford for graduate in biomechanical engineering. My hope is that she has solved all back problems by the time I start developing them.

Edited by ole2planker

well thats cool, so how is it usually around begining of december?

It's a bit hard to say "usually" as this is just my third winter here. We get most of our snow, according to weather sites, in December and January. We are getting little bits of snow now every day, but the days have been warmer than freezing, so at least at 3700 feet where our house is, it's not accumulating much. The mountain started MAKING snow on the lower elevations a few weeks back and would normally open Thanksgiving Day. I've heard they may open a week early, but have seen no confirmation.

How will it be on December 3? Who knows? It is unlikely to be 100% open, but the back side will be fantastic, as always. It (the back side) will be 100% open, I am sure. Everything depends on the weather. December 3rd is a bit early to expect much at ANY area, IMO.

You should probably get them to purchase a five day pass for $175 as long as they get it before 12/3. Other than that, early season pricing is $39 a day. They could show up and display season passes from another area and possibly get more discounting, but I am not sure since the early season tickets are already at a reduced cost.

1113059078.jpg

Things look good so far.

Edited by sibhusky

What mountain is your home mountain? My friend is going out to Big Mountain or something like that on December 3rd. Will they have ligit conditions.

Well, I got a few runs in yesterday so I can comment. Conditions at the mountain VISUALLY are terrific. We've been trapped in an inversion situation for about a week now, but on the mountain it is all sun and blue sky. I wanted to take pictures yesterday, but it turned out I left the data card from my camera back in the locker and didn't want to spend time getting it because I was just fitting in a few runs before work. The valleys in every direction had heavy looking white clouds in them and just the snowy mountain tops were poking through here and there. It was great.

Anyway, not sure if there will be much more open when your friends come. The back of the mountain (North side) is fine, but the rest -- forget it. They'll get pretty bored if they have to spend a week just skiing the back. Even the back has trees poking up through the snow here and there. Plus, at least yesterday (a Sunday), lines were forming since it was the only lift open. We need snow.