SKI999 - Thoughts on base prep wax?

JollyJake99

SKI999 -

Are you willing to share opinions on base prep waxing? I have been using just Swix base prep (5 or 6 coats)on the fresh stone grind. This year I was contemplating using a mix of Dominator Graphite base prep either in alternating coats or as a mix with the Swix ( I have a large amount in inventory.). Do you have any opinions?

Thanks!

Are you using the Renew Zoom Graphite and hot scraping? 5 or 6 coats of base prep is overkill...you see little pinholes in what should be a smooth coating if there's still fluoro left in the base. Once it goes on smooth, you've prepped enough. You won't hurt anything overprepping, but you're efforts should go toward loading the bases with multiple hot waxing---a ski base is like a sponge and it can only absorb just so much wax each time you hot wax. As I'm sure you know, the idea is to load up the base and the wax will slowly release to the surface as you ski. A new set of World Cup downhill skis will get 90 or more hot waxes before they see the snow.

I'll hot scrape once (to clean), then hot wax and scrape one to three times as prep for a race. Lately, I've just been using one coating of a Swix LF (for whatever temp. I expect the snow to be), then put my energy into a speed overlay.

For recreational skis after a stone grind, I'd use a prep wax, then a hydrocarbon wax like Swix CH. I'd wax, wait three hours, scrape, then repeat two times.

Dominator makes great stuff, but have a look around Dr. D's website at

http://racewax.com/

He's a PA guy from down in Waynesboro.

Lastly, this is just the way I do it. It seems like everyone I know has a variation...

on a sidenote, my 900G of Swix Universal warm wax arrived today! I was completely out of wax. Came to $37 shipped. Now I need to get some cold universal. I use it for everyday waxings (literally). But for race day, I do the same as Ski, throw on a LF#, and then seek Ski999 out, and have him put some fluro on my bases :P

SKI999 -

What I have been doing on a fresh stone grind has been 5 - 6 coats of Swix base prep: iron in each coat & then scrape & brush before next coat. This was then followed by Dominator graphite (not base prep), ironed & scraped. I'd then top it off with Swix F4 mixed with what ever low flour/graphite seemed appropriate for the temp. This has suited me well. I'm not a racer & not sure the extra $$$$ would be woth it.

Thanks!

Edited by JollyJake99