The Park on Bushkill

parkbuilder

Dual Box  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which side do you want lower on the new Dual Box at Shawnee?

• Right
    • Left

If you know your local trail maps, this Post is regarding this years Park at Shawnee Mountain located on the Bushkill Trail (serviced by Lift F). I just got word today that Shawnee will continue to make snow in the park until Wednesday. Sometime Wed. the trail will be cut into its trail form. Early Thursday morning, I report back to work (finally) to begin construction. Depending on how much snow is made from today through Wednesday, will determine the number of features that will be ready to go. I'm optimistic that the possibility of a full park opening, could happen for opening day Friday December 9th. I will recieve more in depth details tommorow about snow coverage and opening dates/times. :woot

what do you do to open the park (you personally) like help set the boxes and stuff? Do you get to drive a snowmobile :)

I'm basically in charge of the design/layout of the trail. I'm may be limited in what I can setup because we do not know how much snow we have to work with. The more snow they make until Wed, the more features will be open. Once the layout plan is in place I direct the snowcats on placement, angles, and setups and physically help install all of the features which includes kicker work. When its all said and done I hit the features a few times (being towed in on the snowmobile) and see if everything is up to par. When the building is completely done and the park is ready for the public, I cruise the park and ride. Once is spot a feature that needs work, I get busy fixing and maintaining it. I will also most likely have a CB radio with me at all times incase of any incidents that may occur. Finally I'm there for what we call PR or Public Relations, I promote everything in the park and I soak up YOUR ideas and try to mold those ideas into a better park. Any pointers or opinions will always be noticed and applied if nessicary. Hope that helped! :D

Hmmm... A dual box. What exactly can you do on this box (from a skier or boarders point of view)? I can't really think of anything on skis to do with besides the normal flat-box stuff, totally ignoring the lower end of it. Looks cool though.

hard to think of stuff for skiers... valid point. I can see for boarders nosepressing popping to frontside. Use your imagination I guess. I'll get back to you on opening and closing times when I get my update tommorow. The park will be open with an incredible amount of features... if not all. Yes... hits included!

why not straight onto the lower and then pop up and go sideways on the top for skiers? that'd be pretty sick. I just bought a pair of ski boots and i'm going back to skiing after 5 years of snowboarding, but I don't know how rusty i'll be since the break, hopefully I"ll be hitting up boxes on skis this year and can see how impossible they are on skis

Hmmm... A dual box. What exactly can you do on this box (from a skier or boarders point of view)? I can't really think of anything on skis to do with besides the normal flat-box stuff, totally ignoring the lower end of it. Looks cool though.

Maybe get on the top box, Swith Up and land on the lower box with a sick tailpress. Would be hard as hell but would be dope if done right.

Attention! An executive decision has been made to delay the opening of Shawnee's Park for this up-coming weekend. Excellent snowmaking last night and future snow forcasts altered the decision today. As of 3pm the run will be shaped and constructed to have an equal amount of snow distributed throughout the trail. This gives myself and the park crew a better chance to construct a fully operational park complete with all rails, jumps, boxes, quarter-pipes, and other features running at 100%. Rather than being forced to construct everything in one day, taking this extended time will greatly improve the layout, flow, and design of the park and will also give us twice the amount of snow to work with due to the fact that snowmaking will continue almost around the clock in the park...and pipe! So I ask the you be patient and wait for better quality, rather than a mess of setups and rushed features. Who knows all could be ready to go as early as Sunday ;) I'll keep you posted almost everyday on the parks construction.

Keith!

P.S. Parkbuilding begins Friday!

Edited by parkbuilder

Alright people, the time has come!

The New Park at Shawnee will be open to the public as of Thursday, December 15th.

Features installed today were the Down-Flat-Down, Flat-Down-Flat, C-Box, and the brand new Wall Ride complemented with 1/4 pipes on either side. More options are available for amaizing lines this year than ever before. I'll post more info and pics up tommorow!

We are working very hard to fine tune the features already in place, and to finish the installation of the other features. We are still looking at a Thursday or a midday Friday opening. As for the 1/2 pipe, we could see that fully operational as of Friday, as long as tommorow and thursday goes smoothly. My camera died today so better pics will be posted tommorow...

Hey peeps...

good news... today the top sheets weren't working so well. Infact, I hated those sheets from the second I saw them. So we went and bought all new lexan top sheets that will be smooth and level with the coping. The night crew will be installing everything and have it ready for the morning, not more crappy sliding!