disapointed w/ ski school

kragan

My girlfriend and I headed up to BC on Saturday morning. She was taking a lesson (her 2nd time ever on a board, last week she got a lesson at Blue) and I was going to ride until she was done with the lesson and then help her. When we got to the ticket window we got my ticket, and I told the lady that we needed a lesson also. I told the lady at the window that it was my gf's second time on a board and can't get on a lift yet. The lady said she needed a lif ticket anyway. The only reason that I could come up with for needing the lift ticket would have been for the carpet lift, so we bought the ticket and paid for the lesson. We get outside and turns out neither carpet lift is running, they are not using the normal school hill, and the area they are using for ski school is on a bump that is only about 10 - 15 yards long and way to steep to learn on. Basically the lesson was a total waste of time and paying the money for a lift ticket was even more of a waste. The lady at the ticket window should have known not to sell us the left ticket.

After the lesson my gf and I went over to the normal school hill that was only groomed half way up. We hiked it about 10 times and I spent the rest of the morning helping her. I think that BC should of had a note up at the ticket window stating that the carpet lift was not working and that the school hill was not going to be used.

Needless to save I am VERY disapointed in BC's management and shi school program for not posting that the the lift and hill were not being used . Next weekend we are defintely going back to Blue for her lesson.

My girlfriend and I headed up to BC on Saturday morning. She was taking a lesson (her 2nd time ever on a board, last week she got a lesson at Blue) and I was going to ride until she was done with the lesson and then help her. When we got to the ticket window we got my ticket, and I told the lady that we needed a lesson also. I told the lady at the window that it was my gf's second time on a board and can't get on a lift yet. The lady said she needed a lif ticket anyway. The only reason that I could come up with for needing the lift ticket would have been for the carpet lift, so we bought the ticket and paid for the lesson. We get outside and turns out neither carpet lift is running, they are not using the normal school hill, and the area they are using for ski school is on a bump that is only about 10 - 15 yards long and way to steep to learn on. Basically the lesson was a total waste of time and paying the money for a lift ticket was even more of a waste. The lady at the ticket window should have known not to sell us the left ticket.

After the lesson my gf and I went over to the normal school hill that was only groomed half way up. We hiked it about 10 times and I spent the rest of the morning helping her. I think that BC should of had a note up at the ticket window stating that the carpet lift was not working and that the school hill was not going to be used.

Needless to save I am VERY disapointed in BC's management and shi school program for not posting that the the lift and hill were not being used . Next weekend we are defintely going back to Blue for her lesson.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with Bear Creek yesterday. We do require lift tickets for anyone who is on the snow at our resort, regardless of whether or not you use any lifts. It works like an admission ticket and also serves as a liability release for the guests. Also, our beginner E chair lift was running, which does serve the beginner trails.

In addition, we do post our conditions report at each ticket window which lists each trail and chair lift that is operating, as well as online and at various locations throughout our facility. Our ticket window employees do not go over the list of open lifts and trails with each guests for this reason, however they are more than willing to answer any questions that you may have.

Again, I am sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with your visit, but I hope that I have helped to explain our policies to you. I hope that you and your girlfriend will give us another chance in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly at maryb@skibearcreek.com or 1-866-SKI-AT-BC x351 with any other concerns you may have.

Thank you,

Mary Bortz

Public Relations Manager

Edited by bearcreek_chick

I understand the policy, I just don't get why someone who is going to be limited to just the ski shool hill should be required to pay the same full price as someone who is going to make use of the entire mountain. There should be different tickets for the E chair and carpet, you guys have the technology in place to do so being that you scan tickets before getting on the lifts. And can't the paying for the lesson serve as the "admission ticket" and cover the "liability release" because obviously paying for the lesson means that you are going to be on the snow. The lift ticket and/or the lesson should have been discounted since the mountains full services could not be offered.

Blue has a lift ticket just for their tow rope in the learning area. That seems like a much better way to go and that is just one of the reasons that we will be heading there for all her lessons in the future.

I understand the policy, I just don't get why someone who is going to be limited to just the ski shool hill should be required to pay the same full price as someone who is going to make use of the entire mountain. There should be different tickets for the E chair and carpet, you guys have the technology in place to do so being that you scan tickets before getting on the lifts. And can't the paying for the lesson serve as the "admission ticket" and cover the "liability release" because obviously paying for the lesson means that you are going to be on the snow. The lift ticket and/or the lesson should have been discounted since the mountains full services could not be offered.

Blue has a lift ticket just for their tow rope in the learning area. That seems like a much better way to go and that is just one of the reasons that we will be heading there for all her lessons in the future.

I can't speak for Mary, or Bear Creek, but...

I know most ski areas in the North east use "Area use tickets" insted of "lift tickets." The differnce being lift tickets give you accsess to the lifts, and area use tickets give you access to the trails/lifts/snow....

I think out west they have laws protecting ski areas if you are stupid and hurt yourself when you ski...Where places like PA don't have that many, which is why resorts around here require tickets when your there.

A lot of places have beginnner lift tickets, which I believe Bear Creek had, but I could be mistaken. They just let you on the lower mountain lifts.

Anyway, it sucks whenever anyone has a bad day of skiing or riding anywhere. If I were you I would call up Bear Creek and ask to speak to Mary (I think her number was up in the post above) or Mark. I have met both of them, and I know they DO NOT like when people don't have a good time at there mountain

Bear Creek does offer discounted packages for beginners. The Burton Learn to Ride program costs $45 on weekends/holidays and includes a lift ticket for the beginner surface lift and E chair lift, a snowboard rental and a 1 1/2 hour group lesson.

Thank you for the information Mary. Is there any particular reason this was not offered to us? We explained to the woman at the ticket window that my gf was a beginner.

No way did they open with 95 percent and they had an awesome window of snowmaking.

It is impossible for them to open with 95%. If you look at the math you need at least 20 trails to get that percentage. The only way for them to be above 95% is for them to open with 100% of their trails. I believe they have 17 trails (though on the website it says 18 but that counts the snow tubing) so for each trail closed that is 5.8% closure and Saturday they had at least 2 trails closed.

So Bear wins!! On opening day, everything was open, except for 2 runs. Who can say that? :)

And that's one of the reasons I think it's pretty brave of any ski area rep to be on an MB they don't control. DaveK would have lasted two hours.

LOL!! he didn't last. He packed up his bags and headed south!