New skis for mom?

Glenn

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Head-2006-Big-Easy...1QQcmdZViewItem

My mom has been sking a handful of times. At whiteface the rental shop had her on 130's and she seemed to need a bigger ski. She wants to ski more so I started looking for skis. Any opinions on this one?

Edited by dthmtluncrn

My mom has been sking a handful of times. At whiteface the rental shop had her on 130's and she seemed to need a bigger ski. She wants to ski more so I started looking for skis. Any opinions on this one?

Thats a fine ski, but unless she is over 160lbs, you should concider a 150 cm. Aslo, boots are much more inportant than skis. Invest in boots, take her down to Nestors and get her fit in some good boots first. She will get more out of a better boot and a lesser ski than a lesser boot and a better ski. Get her into a good boot first, she can always demo skis till she finds what she likes. If you lppk at the upcoming events, you will see some demo days on the horizon.

Thats a fine ski, but unless she is over 160lbs, you should concider a 150 cm. Aslo, boots are much more inportant than skis. Invest in boots, take her down to Nestors and get her fit in some good boots first. She will get more out of a better boot and a lesser ski than a lesser boot and a better ski. Get her into a good boot first, she can always demo skis till she finds what she likes. If you lppk at the upcoming events, you will see some demo days on the horizon.

Err... she's pretty inexperienced, and I'm not sure she would know what to look for in a demo. I was planning on nestors for boots anyways. I just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track. Thanks for the tip on the 150's.

That's a decent set-up, Glenn, but Phil's right about the 150cm size. I'd go with 150's even if she's more than 160lbs...

I can recommend the Atomic Balanze line...my wife moved into them after years of using hand-me-down junior race skis. The Balanze skis are 1/2 the weight of junior race skis and she loves them. She's capable of any black diamond, but is much happier tooling around on winding green circles at snail speed. She skis a 148cm ski and is 5'0" and about 95lbs.

The Head in that link is very basic, including the "they work and are fine" bindings. They are a step below the Head Hot Thang and K2 One Luv, so I'd be a little concerned that they may chatter around a lot if she gets any speed. But if it means she has "her" skis and will get out more and that's what she wants to spend, then maybe they are a perfect fit in 150.

She has stuck to greens and mellow blues so far. I don't think the high speed chatter is an issue now. She wants to build confidence and improve basic techniques. I'm just trying to find gear to get her to the mountain.

I'll see if I can find a deal on a set of balanze's and see what mom thinks.

• 2 weeks later...

I demoed the atomic C9 - the girlie version. They were effortless to turn, and tons of fun. Tommy's Mom uses them too, and she's a low intermediate, timid, bunny type. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat for nonaggressive female skiers. I'd have bought a pair myself, but they are slow on a race course and didn't quite perform to my liking in tough conditions. I tried 160s. If she's petite, 130 might do, but think about a little longer.

If my mom were skiing, that's what I'd buy her (skigrandmom). :)

Edited by skimom

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for taking so long to update. She ended up with k2 first luv's I believe at 160. Salomon boots (I think the bindings were the "defualt" binding thrown in with the skis). Nesters hooked her up with all the gear after spending quite a bit of time finding different stuff. She's real happy with the gear, and I suppose for her first setup wasn't too dissapointed that she paid a little extra for shop help. Thanks anyone for you help anyways.