Ski Racks

lastduchess113

how bad can it be? maybe if you drive 60+

but i dont feel safe doing that with 100 pounds of gear on the roof, and 500 punds of extra people in the car.

600 pounds of weight on a car that weighs maybe 900 pounds haha

It's not about the weight, it's the extra wind drag created. It will cut your mileage by 5-10%. I noticed it after a couple of trips to the Poconos. You may not ever notice it since you live a lot closer.

its kinda ghetto, but either sportrack or barrecrafters makes a window mount ski rack that will hold 2 pairs, you roll your window down, put the clamp part over the top of the window, roll them up, and then suction cup the bottom part on, and then their are rubber straps that hold the skis on. not nearly as secure as a roof mount though.

Yup, thats from Barrecrafters. You see them on ebay really cheap since nobody likes to buy them. Ebay has some good prices on roof racks. Even though I'm not a fan or racks, I picked up a Barrecrafters Roof Rack back in May or June. It was only $31 and the guy only used it twice and then moved away from a place to go skiing. The one I got attaches to the car if it doesn't have factory racks. It either goes in the door jam or external rain gutters. I just need to get the specialty hooks for my car, since the door is a little different than other cars.

It's not about the weight, it's the extra wind drag created. It will cut your mileage by 5-10%. I noticed it after a couple of trips to the Poconos. You may not ever notice it since you live a lot closer.

Nah, he wasn't talking about mileage, he was just pointing out the equipment/people to car weight ratio. Pretty funny if you think about it

I put mine in a regular ski bag and put the back seat down. I also attach a chain to the bag and attach it to the car frame in the trunk, so it won't fly forward. I don't think I would want to put my skis on my roof, at least not without putting them in a bag first, because of all of the grime and stones that could kick up from the road.

Edited by bigdaddyk