Improvements

bigdaddyk

From what I've heard, the new polecat snow makers have made a difference at BB. If they add these to East Mt. at JF, it will make for a sweet set up. I heard the new company plans on doing stuff like this and update the lifts. I don't know if faster lifts are really a good thing though, because that means that more people would be pushing the snow around. The polecats would definately make JF one of the best ski areas for snow quality, since it is one of the coldest spots, if not coldest, of all of the ski areas in the pocono area.

Edited by bigdaddyk

Speaking of opening trails. I've noticed that they took the sign down for the elevator...the sign looks like it was cut down at the base. Also, the sign for gonzo's grind, by east mt. lift, is gone. Neither of these are listed on the trail map anymore. I wonder why they got rid of them. I was sort of thinking that the elevator was taken away because it merged where two other trails merge, making it a risk factor for collisions.

I go mostly during the week, I've only been to JF once or twice this year on a weekend, so the crowds that I've seen have been what you'd expect at any resort. I was there new year's day and it was crowded, but not overly crowded. This year, they have been running at least one side of all the lifts during the week. Last year they did not use all of the lifts during the week. Also, the weekends that I have been there, they had ALL the lifts going, even though they probably didn't need both sides. This is nice because it makes for no lines at all. Risk it is only open when we get natural snow, because it is mostly a glade type trail. They advertise snow making on it, but I think that's because snow from Floyd's folly blows over onto it. And yeah, the elevator's gone. Last year it didn't open either.

Lots of improvements on the way for JFBB....

SAM Magazine--December 2, 2005--Peak Resorts, based out of St. Louis, Missouri, has entered into a long-term agreement to operate the Jack Frost and Big Boulder ski areas in Pennsylvania starting this season. The areas are owned by The Blue Ridge Real Estate Companies.

With the addition of the two ski areas, Peak Resorts will now operate nine winter resorts in the U.S. Dave Grenier, an executive VP at Peak, along with his wife Linda, will oversee the Pennsylvania operations.

In true Peak Resorts style, first on the list for improvements is a 3-year, $5 million upgrade to the snowmaking systems at both areas. The company plans to add fan technology (20 tower Polecats for starters) to the existing air-water systems. Next up in improvements will be snowgrooming, followed by upgrades on buildings, grounds and lifts as needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Monday was the first I saw the new snow cat pole fans in action. I was blown away at the amount of snow that they put out, and the fact that they oscillate!! If they continue to add these to both BB and JF, they will without a doubt have the best snow bases in the Poconos. The only problem I see, if you call it a problem, would be having a lot of these running at the same time would cause white out conditions, which would mean they would have to limit when they blow snow, or close trails to do it.

Edited by bigdaddyk