Utah trip / any tips and some board help

train36

I will be heading out to Park City in about a month, it will be my first time out west. We are staying in a condo in Park City and was wondering if anyone had any good info on the area or surrounding resorts. Any good restaraunts or places to get a drink, and what mountains to got to. We booked a rental car so we can travel a bit if we want to, we are staying seven days and plan on riding at Park City, The Canyons, Brighton and Snowbird, so any info would be appreciated.

Now for the board help, my all mountain/freeride board is a 162 and am worried it might not float me in the pow if we get any as I weigh around 200 lbs. Should I buy another board or wait since I will probably only use it out there, or will the 162 be okay? Any good freeride board you guys know of, I have been looking at NS Titan 169, Option siganture 166 and a few others. Any suggestions on size and brands is appreciated.

Sorry this post is loaded with questions but I don't wanna mess up my first time out west. :D

If you are going to park city for a week or so and this your first visit, you should the safari tourist thing.. Park city one day then, Canyons, Deer valley then drop down to Snowbird and Brighton... Always get the first lift and head to the back as fast as you can and then work some trails back in.

The canyons is freakin Huge. Try and find the experts park at snowbird. Super sick!! Utah in March is aways epic.. so much some of the times I have been there I have gotten sick of it! TOOOOO much snow :drool

Please don't show up at Alta with your board in hand.. you will be so pissed. Snow Basin up north is good, more of local place as is Brighton. I would put Park City and Deer Valley at the bottom of the list.

Thanks for all the info, the canyons are huge and as for the experts park I don't think I am ready for that, but I'll check it out. I am probably just going to freeride since I don't get to do it that much. I ride park all season at BC and am looking forward to just cruising. But if our trip lacks snow than I will definitley be hiiting up some parks. So everyone thinks I will be fine on the 162?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am leaving in a few days a just had another question, I never take pictures but want to when I am out there. I don't know whether to buy a digital camera or just take some disposables. I don't want to break a digi but I don't want crappy pics. Anyone know any good digital cameras not to expensive?

Well I am leaving in a few days a just had another question, I never take pictures but want to when I am out there. I don't know whether to buy a digital camera or just take some disposables. I don't want to break a digi but I don't want crappy pics. Anyone know any good digital cameras not to expensive?

You can get throw away digital cameras now. I think they take 1mb pics, not sure about that though, they are like $20 each. If you do disposable film get the cameras and the film developed while you are out there because the xrays will destroy them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i went to utah with my digital camera at the end of january for a 3 day trip. unfortunately/fortunately, we had a foot of snow dump on us each day we were there, so i didn't get to take too many clear pictures. i had a strange feeling while almost thinking that there was too much snow. i don't think 1 mp disposable digital cameras are worth it - it would be like taking pictures with a camera phone. i would get a 2 or 3 megapixel digital camera from canon if you go for a digital camera (some of them go for less than $200 and take great pictures) or go the disposable route and get the film developed out there.

be prepared for high sales taxes and strange rules about alcohol. but park city should be a cool place to stay.

Train, I just got out here tonight. I'll be hitting Brighton tomorrow. The forecast is for snow on Tuesday 3/7 and Thursday 3/9. Hope you're coming soon because it might be pretty doggone good out here.

Volklyokel

Edited by volklyokel

thanks for the advice, I think I am gonna go the disposable route. A foot each day thats awesome, I hope we get that lucky. I heard they are a little weird with alcohol sales.

it's not too bad. if you want to go out and drink, then you have to pay a fee to be a member of a drinking club. it's basically like paying a cover charge to get into a bar. the easiest place to get alcohol was at the ski resort's cafeteria, but from what I remember, all the beer that they serve in the state has to be domestically (locally) brewed and it contains less alcohol than normal - sort of like a bizarro-world version of skiing in the alps.